McCarthy's NHL

Sport

McCarthy, I noticed that the numbers for the Flames' road jersey don't have a red outline. Did you do that on purpose?

yes. It was a deliberate choice. It's essentially carrying over the exact same numbers from the red jersey. Not adding a red outline provides some consistency between the two jerseys and keeps the clutter down.

And please use the new Reebok logo.

What you work for reebok or something?

Other than that, great work!

thanks

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And please use the new Reebok logo.

What you work for reebok or something?

It's not that, I'm just surprised you're still using the old logo. Keep it if it works for you.

By the way, do you accept requests, you when people provide feedback about your stuff and they ask you to do this and/or that?

I feel you went way too black heavy on Calgary's home jersey. I'd alos use the white C logo from the late 90's sets. Looks better than the Black C by a margin. The road jersey is perfect, though.

The Caps jerseys are nice.

I hate the wrap-around back of the Bolts. Otherwise, perfect.

Gold outlined numbers for the Sens when no other gold is used on the uniform?

Stars are perfect.

oilers_zpshfkzi4ov.png

This one might get me in trouble because I used the hated phantom yoke, but this could be the one case where it works. You’ll notice the white uniforms are essentially the exact same (save for the shoulder patch. More on that later). It’s the blue jersey that got the major overhaul.

When the Oilers ditched their navy and copper 90’s uniforms for the 2007 EDGE changeover and later reverting back to the Gretzky uniforms I think they threw out the baby with the bathwater by dropping their awesome secondary logo. That’s returned in new orange and blue colors.

The blue jersey’s biggest problem and the thing that makes it look so dated is its overuse of orange. Orange yoke, orange cuffs up to the sleeve stripes, orange numbers with offset white outline is entirely too much of that color. It's a lot to look at all at once. Also, I enjoy consistency when it makes sense to employ it and now the two jerseys are direct inverse of one another home to road. The yoke is now blue with an orange outline on both jerseys, the orange sleeve cuff is gone on the blues, and the numbers are a more visually pleasing and more legible white with offset orange outline.

This is a modern way to solve the Oilers’ uniforms problems without completely distancing themselves from their visual history in the way the navy, copper, and red did in the 90’s.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I feel you went way too black heavy on Calgary's home jersey. I'd alos use the white C logo from the late 90's sets. Looks better than the Black C by a margin. The road jersey is perfect, though.

Stars are perfect.

Gonna address the bolded ones.

You’re right the Flames are very black heavy, but I’ve never minded them using black so long as they do it in a way that’s distinctive from the other red and black teams and I think this accomplishes that. I don’t agree that a white C looks better by a wide margin. It looked better on the Theo Fluery 90’s uniforms because the stripes on the sleeves were white and there was enough white on the uniform to balance it out, but in this case it would stick out too much.

I’ll try a white C with white numbers and see how that looks, but I think I prefer the black C and black numbers.

Sens. There isn't "no other gold" used on the uniform. The gold is used heavily in all three logos, and helmet, and hte logo on the pants, and I wanted to tie-in the numbers with those added elements. The jersey can exist as one and the numbers and logos can exist as one, and combined they can work together to create a nice color palette, but every color doesn't need to be (and shouldn't be) crammed into every aspect of the uniform. That's called over-design.

Now, I could've gone the expected route and outlined the numbers in red, but that was less interesting, visually speaking.

PvO6ZWJ.png

avalanche_zps6gg4n7j8.png

The Avalanches had one of the biggest edge uni disaster downgrades of anyone in 2007 and they’re still wearing them today. They had great uniforms during their Stanley Cup heyday, but even then I think they were sporting one too many colors. Burgundy, blue, silver, and black is a big color palette and I’ve always thought they should trim it by at least one of those colors. Because burgundy and blue is more interesting than burgundy and black I dropped black. Problem is their blue is so light that it doesn’t work that well without that black buffer. Solution: darken the blue to navy, it works in the same capacity as black, but still glistens and isn’t as flat as black.

And obviously I’ve restored their signature mountain pattern that they never should’ve dropped in the first place.

Absolutely, 100% nailed it.

I wish wish wish the Avs looked like this.

Wonderful work.

avalanche_zps6gg4n7j8.png

The Avalanches had one of the biggest edge uni disaster downgrades of anyone in 2007 and they’re still wearing them today. They had great uniforms during their Stanley Cup heyday, but even then I think they were sporting one too many colors. Burgundy, blue, silver, and black is a big color palette and I’ve always thought they should trim it by at least one of those colors. Because burgundy and blue is more interesting than burgundy and black I dropped black. Problem is their blue is so light that it doesn’t work that well without that black buffer. Solution: darken the blue to navy, it works in the same capacity as black, but still glistens and isn’t as flat as black.

And obviously I’ve restored their signature mountain pattern that they never should’ve dropped in the first place.

Absolutely, 100% nailed it.

I wish wish wish the Avs looked like this.

Wonderful work.

Thanks! Added bonus, here's an old photoshop I did of Sakic in those colors. Not the EDGE template, but you get the idea.

joesakicwht_zpsd6b65166.pngjoesakic_zps5bd4d453.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

oilers_zpshfkzi4ov.png

This one might get me in trouble because I used the hated phantom yoke, but this could be the one case where it works. You’ll notice the white uniforms are essentially the exact same (save for the shoulder patch. More on that later). It’s the blue jersey that got the major overhaul.

When the Oilers ditched their navy and copper 90’s uniforms for the 2007 EDGE changeover and later reverting back to the Gretzky uniforms I think they threw out the baby with the bathwater by dropping their awesome secondary logo. That’s returned in new orange and blue colors.

The blue jersey’s biggest problem and the thing that makes it look so dated is its overuse of orange. Orange yoke, orange cuffs up to the sleeve stripes, orange numbers with offset white outline is entirely too much of that color. It's a lot to look at all at once. Also, I enjoy consistency when it makes sense to employ it and now the two jerseys are direct inverse of one another home to road. The yoke is now blue with an orange outline on both jerseys, the orange sleeve cuff is gone on the blues, and the numbers are a more visually pleasing and more legible white with offset orange outline.

This is a modern way to solve the Oilers’ uniforms problems without completely distancing themselves from their visual history in the way the navy, copper, and red did in the 90’s.

Can we get a close up of the shoulder patches?

Stars are perfect.

Gonna address the bolded ones.

You’re right the Flames are very black heavy, but I’ve never minded them using black so long as they do it in a way that’s distinctive from the other red and black teams and I think this accomplishes that. I don’t agree that a white C looks better by a wide margin. It looked better on the Theo Fluery 90’s uniforms because the stripes on the sleeves were white and there was enough white on the uniform to balance it out, but in this case it would stick out too much.

I’ll try a white C with white numbers and see how that looks, but I think I prefer the black C and black numbers.

Sens. There isn't "no other gold" used on the uniform. The gold is used heavily in all three logos, and helmet, and hte logo on the pants, and I wanted to tie-in the numbers with those added elements. The jersey can exist as one and the numbers and logos can exist as one, and combined they can work together to create a nice color palette, but every color doesn't need to be (and shouldn't be) crammed into every aspect of the uniform. That's called over-design.

Now, I could've gone the expected route and outlined the numbers in red, but that was less interesting, visually speaking.

I get why you did the gold. I just think it sticks out too much with the rest of the design.

As for your explanation on the Flames, I always liked the black in small doses. I've always felt the Pre-EDGE set had too much, as does the set now. Esecially when you look at the road, which always has perfect colour balance. This bothers me to no end.

You nailed the Blues and Capitals, no alterations needed there at all. As far as the Flames go, I think the set would be much improved without the Western shoulder yoke. It just doesn't go well with the bold, angular striping on the hems and sleeves. Oilers are so close to perfection as well... Just not feeling that Phantom yoke on the home version.

Up next: I LOVE THE 90'S

ducks_zps15dogju6.png

The pumpkin vomit and black have never done it for me. Give me the original look every single time.

Other than some minor striping and logo adjustments, and reversing the socks on the home uniform these are the same as their classic 90's unis.

PvO6ZWJ.png

panthers_zpsfydhjzgj.png

The Panthers, like the Ducks, scored on their first uniform and have been downgrading ever since. The only differences between this and the Panthers' original look: the gold in the uniform now matches the gold in the logo, and the numbers are now three layers.

PvO6ZWJ.png

If you're going to do the vertically arched names (which I think look good), I would use a player other than Jagr because it looks really weird.

Everything has looked darn good so far!

spacer.png

islanders_zpscg43rfwm.png

Two things about the Islanders: One, they wear full-time throwbacks, but they're throwing back to the time before their dynasty years, which is odd to me. These uniforms are closer to the 80-83 cup years than what they currently wear. Two, the fishsticks didn't get everything wrong. The secondary logo on the shoulders was a fabulous logo and should still be a part of their package. Other than that a small collar change was the only other tweak.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I like the oilers. The white jersey is definitely the better of what they wear now. I actually like phantom yokes in some instances, and I think it gives the blue jersey a nice modern touch in what is otherwise a classic set. Particularly with a potential major shift for the franchise with McDavid and management restructuring.

Up next: I LOVE THE 90'S

ducks_zps15dogju6.png

The pumpkin vomit and black have never done it for me. Give me the original look every single time.

Other than some minor striping and logo adjustments, and reversing the socks on the home uniform these are the same as their classic 90's unis.

Wow! I don't know how you altered the palette, but its working. 5 Star concept!

Archived