Thunder Logo Revamp/Overhaul

QThaGAWD

Hello there, C&C are always welcomed. Please tell me what you think i could change or make make better.

This is my first logo redesign, I chose the Oklahoma City Thunder seeing as they are in dire need of a new logo. I Kept the original colors but added 2 new ones (Cream and Silver/Grey) from this Flag design i found http://www.50states.com/flag/image/nunst059.gif .

i went with a Rounded shape similar to the Wizards logo (used as reference).

and from there came up with this.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll29/quinn013mm1/Thunder%20Revamp%202_zpsglsrbr5b.png

please tell me what think. :)

banner_zps4po4z5y5.png

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its too busy. Seven colors in one logo is just overdoing it. having both cream and white is unnecessary, so I would suggest dropping the cream, the yellow (which is unnecessary already IMO), and the grey, since it barely shows up in your logo as well. on the design itself, the OKC is too big for the box it is in, the font is boring, and (although I like the basketball striping), the lightning bolts aren't all that noticeable at first glance. right now, this looks more like a circle of colors than a full logo. make the name more noticeable, and pick an image, maybe the lightning bolts, to become the identifying point of the logo.

GoDaddy%2BBowl_sig.png

A little messy and too many colors.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

i took what you guys said and try to clean it up as best i could (using paint) i dropped the cream and yellow i hope its at least a little better. but ill keep working.

heres what i have: http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll29/quinn013mm1/Thunder%20Revamp%203_zpsdlhhnyh7.png

please continue to give me critics and things i could do better, thanks for all your inputs. :)

A little messy and too many colors.

i know its messy im using paint so its hard to keep it from being pixelated.

Looks too much like the Wizards new logo.

yea it does i used it for referenced a little too much i guess.

banner_zps4po4z5y5.png

Its too busy. Seven colors in one logo is just overdoing it. having both cream and white is unnecessary, so I would suggest dropping the cream, the yellow (which is unnecessary already IMO), and the grey, since it barely shows up in your logo as well. on the design itself, the OKC is too big for the box it is in, the font is boring, and (although I like the basketball striping), the lightning bolts aren't all that noticeable at first glance. right now, this looks more like a circle of colors than a full logo. make the name more noticeable, and pick an image, maybe the lightning bolts, to become the identifying point of the logo.

thank you for this ive made a few changes i dropped the lightning bolt completely because i cant figure out how to work it in just yet if you have any ideas please let me know :)

Too many colors. Originate it more from the wizards logo as well.

i dropped cream and yellow i removed the lightning bolt as well because they werent very noticeable

banner_zps4po4z5y5.png

Looks really good now, considering you used Paint

i appreciate that, im using paint because im new to anything like this and figured itd be the easiest to start with.

is there any other program youd recommend using?

banner_zps4po4z5y5.png

Also, I like your font for the Thunder--I've always thought they could use something along those lines--but your logo suffers the same problem that their current logo does: no connection to either the name or the location. Experiment. Draw lots of sketches. Play around and have fun. :) "Thunder" may not be the easiest to work with, but I've seen some fantastic concepts that capitalize on the name.

rATMcmK.png

Also, I like your font for the Thunder--I've always thought they could use something along those lines--but your logo suffers the same problem that their current logo does: no connection to either the name or the location. Experiment. Draw lots of sketches. Play around and have fun. :) "Thunder" may not be the easiest to work with, but I've seen some fantastic concepts that capitalize on the name.

and yes my original design had thunderbolts in it but they werent very noticeable and i havent been able to fit them in anywhere i like but i am still working on it thank you for your critiques

banner_zps4po4z5y5.png

i made a few more changes this is the rough draft of my final design so please forgive the pixelation and overall messiness :)

Minor: thickened the line between the spaces of each color

added the lightning bold across the center of the logo and it will appear behind it.

Tell me what you all think.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll29/quinn013mm1/Thunder%20Revamp%205_zpsygbld7yh.png

(im stll working on exact placement of the bolts but i havent decided on what colors work best for it light blue is just a place holder)

banner_zps4po4z5y5.png

Save it as a png file and some of the pixelazation will go away. Photobucket.com saves it as a jpg for some reason so it helps to not double the distortion.

It's better than what they have but still really plain. Maybe using an animal from the plains or a thunderbird might help jazz it up

Save it as a png file and some of the pixelazation will go away. Photobucket.com saves it as a jpg for some reason so it helps to not double the distortion.

It's better than what they have but still really plain. Maybe using an animal from the plains or a thunderbird might help jazz it up

thanks i didnt know that, and i know its simple but i rather have that than putting too many things in a logo like i did with the colors before. and i have rough sketches of a bison type logo i was going to try but it didnt quite pan out

banner_zps4po4z5y5.png

Well it's a little better than the real logo but it's suddering from the same issue that the Thunder currently have, a lack of real identity. Both versions, real life and your concept both seem to lack any character, both feel generic.

It's a problem that comes from such a generic, singular name like "Thunder" as your team's identity, especially since thunder is not something you can even see, it's heard.

I've liked some concepts that have brought buffalo/bison into the identity, sort of a "thundering herd" route.

I think if you can come up with an element more than a lightning bolt, you have the talent to run with something good. It's not your fault the team has a horrible, generic nickname, but that's a designer's job...make something out of nothing. I like your trimmed-down color scheme, that's a positive start. Your logo actually has a fighter pilot vibe to me, would look great on a flight suit. Not really the team's idendity though. My father was in the Army and it looks very similar to one of his Airborne patches.

I hate singular team names.

Thunder%20Revamp%205_zpsygbld7yh.png

87Redskins.png

Archived