Best commentators in sport?

2001mark

I have to start with Dan Shulman, a. we share the same hometown & b. he makes every game he does sound like a playoff game.

I remember his radio days on The FAN 590 & then he started doing Blue Jays for TSN(?). In the past 10-15yrs he's really stepped his game up from I'll say describing a game to now calling it with authority; even the pitch of his voice seems deepened & more confident. MLB should be so lucky they've got him in their fold, no one even doing NFL games can match his talent.

I like Jim Hughson for NHL because he's sharp & he always seems grateful to be there. I think that's just him cuz when he does call in hits on talk radio he sometimes talks like a rookie just happy to be involved.

Maybe that's what keeps him so engaged, more power to him.

NBA is Marv, NFL alas I really can't say I love anyone.

Ironically enough I've always loved Marv Albert calling NFL games on radio.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Jim Hughson and Chris Cuthbert all the way.

A couple personal favourites: Buck Martninez and Dave Randorf (I feel people don't like Randorf, why?).

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Doc Emrick for hockey. Ian Darke for soccer.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Doc Emrick for sure. There's simply none better.

Also (and I know I'm showing my homerism) John Kelly and Darren Pang are really great as well. Being Blues' announcers, I've never really heard them announce with an overabundance of bias.

I think the NASCAR drivers that step into the booth (namely Kevin Harvick, Jeff Gordon, and Brad Keselowski) for the Xfinity Series races are pretty good -- certainly better than most of the guys that do it for a living (such as Wally Dallenbach, Kyle Petty, and the Waltrip brothers). It provides something you usually don't get in the sports world, which is an opportunity to listen to somebody that's really great at a sport and still actively competes in that sport talk about it for three hours.

IUe6Hvh.png

You know, I'm a big White Sox fan. I have to deal with Hawk Harrelson every game, so its nice to counter that out with Pat Foley when hockey rolls around.

Ed Farmer does Sox games on 670 so I usually prefer to listen to the games. He does a good job.

spacer.png

Chris Cuthbert is hockey's best. Glad NBC picked him up for the playoffs.

For a homer pick, Dean Brown is the voice of the Ottawa Senators, like Jeannaret for the Sabres. He's only doing the radio now (thanks to the Rogers deal) but he characterized the Sens when they were among the best in the East, and throughout the 07 run as well.

Rick Jeanneret. He gets so much attention for his catchphrases, but he doesn't rely on them. The other 99% of the time, he's a solid announcer with a great voice.

For the nhl, I would have to go with Eddie Olcyzk, he may not be a PBP guy but he brings some great insight into the booth and is the only normal person in that team. I like Emerick, but with his voice cracks and how he gets excited at literally every shot on goal, it's a little hard to take him seriously some times.

Mlb - Gary Thorne (totally not any bias lol)

Nfl - Really no great commentators that are known only for football

Soccer - Martin Tyler

spacer.png

Even as Yankee fan, major props to the Mets tv crew Gary Cohen, Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling.

I'm amazed when I listen/watch another cities baseball teams TV crew how many of them are simply fan boys. You don't get that with the guys doing the Mets or even or even Yankees on TV. Radio different story for the Yankees.

Ed Farmer does Sox games on 670 so I usually prefer to listen to the games. He does a good job.

lol no

For hockey, I'm very fond of Gord Miller. I think he's the best straight-ahead play-by-play guy in the league. He should be working with Eddie and Pierre if NBC insists on both of them, because those two plus Doc Emrick screeching and babbling is too much shtick for one booth. Around the NHL, I really enjoy Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond, Howie Rose and Butch Goring, Rick Jeanneret, and of course Pat Foley and Eddie Olczyk. I've never understood the tidal wave of love for Ralph Strangis, whom I find unremarkable, and Daryl Reaugh, whom I find ass-wearying.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived