Best commentators in sport?

2001mark

Ed Farmer does Sox games on 670 so I usually prefer to listen to the games. He does a good job.

lol no

For hockey, I'm very fond of Gord Miller. I think he's the best straight-ahead play-by-play guy in the league. He should be working with Eddie and Pierre if NBC insists on both of them, because those two plus Doc Emrick screeching and babbling is too much shtick for one booth. Around the NHL, I really enjoy Ken Daniels and Mickey Redmond, Howie Rose and Butch Goring, Rick Jeanneret, and of course Pat Foley and Eddie Olczyk. I've never understood the tidal wave of love for Ralph Strangis, whom I find unremarkable, and Daryl Reaugh, whom I find ass-wearying.

Yeah. Farmer is atrocious. I like Hawk historically, but won't be too upset whenever he retires based on him increasingly becoming a caricature. But Farmer has always been awful and never had any redeeming qualities, only being tolerable when he had the great John Rooney to keep him in check. Farmer is so self-involved that he just tells inane stories about God-knows-what and doesn't care a bit for action taking place on field. Rooney is a total pro, and he would always cut Farmer off with a "That's crazy. So the 2-0 pitch from Alvarez..." Farmer is even more insufferable now that he's paired with Darren Jackson, who is decent enough on his own. They have a weird, inside-jokey relationship that leads to a great deal of awkward silence on the air.

As for great announcers:

John Rooney - He served as the Sox' PBP man from 1988-2005, and his voice was the perfect soundtrack for summer. Every now and then I'll put on a Cardinals game to reminisce. He's a great announcer in his own right, and has the perfect voice for baseball.

Jon Miller - First off, he pretentiously over-pronounces Latin names while still managing to mispronounce them. "Here's Juan Ooo-ribe". If you can put that aside, as grating as it is, he also has a classic baseball voice. There was nothing else like the sound of him calling the playoffs on AM radio.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

John Rooney is very good. Leave it to the Cardinals to make him cede play-by-play duties to Mike Shannon. Darrin Jackson is surprisingly good if you can catch him away from the gaping mouth of hell that is WSCR.

Ed Farmer is actually getting worse. Like, much worse. I don't know if it's the Sox stalling a little bit out of the gate or what, but he's barely mustering more than a mumble to the point that I can barely hear him over a Toronto crowd.

I like Jon Miller a lot too, and think that ESPN hypercorrected when they threw him out along with Joe Morgan.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Jon Miller - First off, he pretentiously over-pronounces Latin names while still managing to mispronounce them. "Here's Juan Ooo-ribe". If you can put that aside, as grating as it is, he also has a classic baseball voice. There was nothing else like the sound of him calling the playoffs on AM radio.

I like Jon Miller a lot too, and think that ESPN hypercorrected when they threw him out along with Joe Morgan.

Man, I still miss Jon Miller doing Orioles games. He has a perfect baseball voice, can do great impressions (e.g., Scully) and has a great dry sense of humor.

Angelos letting him go was almost as bad as when he ran Davey Johnson out of town.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Jim Nantz on the Masters broadcast. He's just part of the tournament. Can't imagine it without him.

Doris Burke is good, but she's overpraised by her peers.

Really enjoy Kevin Harlan and Mike Breen.

PJU85JF.png

I am old enough to remember John Rooney with the Twins before his White Sox stint. I thought he was pretty good.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Starting off with hockey, big Jim Hughson fan. Chris Cuthbert and Gord Miller are up there as well. Also will give credit to Pat Foley, Rick Peckham, and Randy Hahn, as they are just good, even though they don't consistently do national broadcasts. Baseball, I do appreciate Joe Buck, and someone mentioned Jon Miller and he's even better than Buck. Soccer, really like Peter Drury, Jon Champion, Ian Darke, and for an American voice, John Strong.

And now, just for total homer reasons, Sean Grande, Gil Santos, Mike Gorman, Andy Brickley, Dave Goucher, Dennis Eckersley, and Jack Edwards are also pretty good.

Pennants.jpg

Archived