FIFA officials arrested on corruption charges

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

US & Canada soccer apparently will vote for the other guy. I think UEFA ppl will as well?

Spain is supposedly sticking with him as will Russia obviously. But word is some Carribean countries, one of his traditional solid voting blocs, might turn against Sepp. And obviously the bulk of UEFA want him out on his ass.

This big issue is that Africa and Asia will stick with him, and that's a ton of votes. But he's bought their loyalty with all the money confederations like UEFA, CONCACAF and their members give him.

Each country gets one vote, IIRC. UEFA, Canada and the U.S. are great, but not that many votes.

Costa Rica and at this rate most of UEFA aren't voting for him (plus Brazil who doesn't have a vote). UEFA has threatened to suspend congress and "discuss the future of their relations with FIFA" if Blatter wins.

Sepp's still the clear favourite to win, but it won't be without opposition, and he'll be given trouble by the countries and federations that don't support him.

This big issue is that Africa and Asia will stick with him, and that's a ton of votes. But he's bought their loyalty with all the money confederations like UEFA, CONCACAF and their members give him.

The future issue will be the perception of those federations who do actually re-elect him. Africa & Asia want to reward him, fine, now it's on them.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Just wondering, but do the Non-Sepp nations(what Putin is calling first world nations) said anything about changing the payment structure? If not then why is the whole first world thing an issue? I feel like it's "wants a currupted free governing body countries" vs "Blatter helped us out and we owe him one" rather than a pay issue. Each country does and should carry the same voting weight and Blatter campaigned as such.

The US Senate is broken and so is FIFA. If FIFA is going to give one vote to each nation, there ought to be a counterbalanced body -- like, say, the UN Security Council or the NCAA Big Five -- that can better steer the game.

The one-country, one-vote system, combined with a secret ballot, invites corruption and bribery. Or so I read on Grantland today.

I'm still learning about international soccer governing bodies, so I'm sure there's tons of context I'm missing, but I'm wary of non-governmental bodies with no outside control that can exert real pain on the world. Sepp Blatter is too powerful a person to have so little oversight.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

There's a lot of f'd up countries around the world, should we really be surprised when their voting power delivers such madness?

So you really don't think that those of us who reside in Anglo-America aren't really F'ed Up?

Banks (Chase/Wells Fargo/BoA/HSBC/BNP Paribas) have done much worse to people on a daily basis than FIFA yet the execs don't face time in the bing and just get fined by the DoJ.

If boxing's WBC didn't go away, nor did its president Jose Suliaman, after a US court got to them in 2003.

Africa (Caf): 54 votes

Europe (Uefa): 53 votes

Asia (Afc): 46 votes

North and Central America (Concacaf): 35 votes

Oceania: 11 votes

South America (Conmebol): 10 votes

Total: 209 votes

Blatter has been publicly backed by the football confederations of Asia (AFC) and Africa (Caf), which means that most of their member nations are expected to vote for him.

Prince Ali is the favoured candidate of European confederation Uefa, so he is likely to pick up most of the European votes. Platini believes "45 or 46" from 54 European members could back him.

It is not quite so clear where the votes from the North American (Concacaf) and South American (Conmebol) confederations will go.

These regions have been loyal to Blatter but there are suggestions that at least some of their member nations will back Prince Ali.

Prince Ali himself is said to believe he has the support of 60 nations outside Europe, but bookmakers currently make Blatter the 1/2 favourite.

glory10.png

The US Senate is broken and so is FIFA. If FIFA is going to give one vote to each nation, there ought to be a counterbalanced body -- like, say, the UN Security Council or the NCAA Big Five -- that can better steer the game.

The one-country, one-vote system, combined with a secret ballot, invites corruption and bribery. Or so I read on Grantland today.

I'm still learning about international soccer governing bodies, so I'm sure there's tons of context I'm missing, but I'm wary of non-governmental bodies with no outside control that can exert real pain on the world. Sepp Blatter is too powerful a person to have so little oversight.

Putting all the power, including a veto, in the hands of 5 countries is a fundamentally flawed idea. All it takes would be one country to get a bribe, not the dozens and dozens it takes with the current system.

I think the best way to deal with it for the time being is to have minimal involvement from the FA's. A major organization like FIFA has too much power over them, and a lot of them showed that they can't be trusted to deal with that.

Everyone outside of FIFA is between a rock and a hard place today.

homer-simpson-rock-and-a-hard-place.gif

Sepp Blatter is awful, sexist, and corrupted. But if we elect Prince Ali in, he may well be just as corrupted.

So the real winner today, as is usually the case, is FIFA.

spacer.png

Archived