The worst Grey Cup game(s) ever

johnnysama

This is for those who are fans of the Canadian Football League, if there are any lurking on this site. The question is self-explanatory, what do you think was/were the worst Grey Cup Final games ever?

My votes go to....
1975- First game in Calgary, but it turns out to be a huge letdown in the one of the lowest-scoring affairs in Grey Cup history, with not a single touchdown scored by either the Edmonton Eskimos or the Montreal Alouettes. (9-8 Edmonton Eskimos)

1980- Edmonton Eskimo fans cherish this victory, their third (of five) straight Grey Cup wins, but most fans tend to look down on this one, as the Eskies trounced the Hamilton Tiger-Cats 48-10, with most of the final minute being called because of fans swarming the field.

1984- The Winnipeg Blue Bombers KO'd the Hamilton Tiger-Cats (the latter team came into the game having only won 6 games all year, and it took them a couple strokes of wild luck to oust the Montreal Concordes in the East Semis and then their arch-rival [and defending Grey Cup champs] Toronto Argonauts in the East Final) 47-17 in the first Grey Cup played in Edmonton. Did the Ti-Cats think they really had a chance?

1990- Blue Bombers and Eskimos @ BC Place - Bombers never give the Esks a chance, 50-11.

1995- Yes, for those of you not old enough to remember, the CFL expanded to America, and Baltimore's CFL entry, the Stallions, swiped the Grey Cup from the Calgary Stampeders in the first Grey Cup held in Saskatchewan, and the first and last time the Grey Cup left Canada.

What do you think? Please refrain from posting anything snide, however. Thank you. :D

UBwef0L.png

1997- Argos smashed the Roughriders 47-23 (It was 41-9 after 3 quarters).

The 8-10 Rough Riders had shocked the Alberta teams- Calgaey 33-30, Edmonton 31-30.

Saskaatchewan played over its head, thus robbing us of an EDM-TOR rematch of the '96 epic on Edmonton's turf. Instead, we got a team that was just happy to be there against probably one of the most dominant Grey Cup champs since the Warren Moon Eskimo dynasty.

If I'm not mistaken, that 1984 game not only featured former Bomber QB Dieter Brock playing for Hamilton, but former Hamilton QB Tom Clements playing for Winnipeg. Hamilton also jumped out to an early 17-0 lead before the Bombers woke up and cruised to victory

Welcome to DrunjFlix

1997- Argos smashed the Roughriders 47-23 (It was 41-9 after 3 quarters).

This. It felt like a pre-season game.

Best would be 1987 for me still, even though 1991 was like a movie script. '87 felt like a Super Bowl, & yes I was a kid so there's a bias. Yes, the team I wanted to win lost...

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

If I'm not mistaken, that 1984 game not only featured former Bomber QB Dieter Brock playing for Hamilton, but former Hamilton QB Tom Clements playing for Winnipeg. Hamilton also jumped out to an early 17-0 lead before the Bombers woke up and cruised to victory

It was actually a 14-3 lead in the 1st quarter before the Bombers struck through, holding the Ti-Cats to only one other field goal in the 2nd quarter and keeping them off the scoreboard in the 2nd half.

UBwef0L.png

It was actually a 14-3 lead in the 1st quarter before the Bombers struck through, holding the Ti-Cats to only one other field goal in the 2nd quarter and keeping them off the scoreboard in the 2nd half.
It's been a while. Haven't seen the game in 31 years.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

2009. Worst. Mistake. Ever.

2015 was a close second. *weeps uncontrollably*

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12, POTD 2/26/17

• 2 months later...

Correct -- the two quarterbacks were traded for each other midway through the 1983 season... it wasn't the first time Brock and Clements played against each other, but obviously the first time they had met in the postseason.

22eb89183f6e207bcbce03d4e0b1474d.jpg

2009. Worst. Mistake. Ever.

2015 was a close second. *weeps uncontrollably*

the 2015 game hasn't been played yet...

But if you mean the 2014 game, while it wouldn't be among the classics, it wasn't on of the worst--but I understand why Ti Cats fans may feel that way.

Then, let's see--75 was played in frigid temperatures--which kept it low scoring.

But yeah it could be on the list.

I immensely enjoyed the 90 game--due to being a Stamps fan.

2009 may be a sad thing for Riders' fans--but it was a good game--you just weren't happy with the result & the mistake.

But it's understandable.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

1995- Yes, for those of you not old enough to remember, the CFL expanded to America, and Baltimore's CFL entry, the Stallions, swiped the Grey Cup from the Calgary Stampeders in the first Grey Cup held in Saskatchewan, and the first and last time the Grey Cup left Canada.

This should be counted as the only real Grey Cup victory ever.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived