American Premier League - All done!

raysox

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fall River Marksmen
Fall River has one of the oldest teams in the country. Originally formed in 1922, the team survived the Great Depression, and battled teams like Bethlehem, and Providence over their history. Fall River was a part of the small leagues of the early 1930s. With the small amount of teams, the Marksmen went on to win the league in 1935, 38, and 39. In addition, the US Open Cup in 1936 and 38. Their last league title was in 1947. Fall River is half way between Boston and Providence, who drew the fans and players away. After League 2 started in 1955, the team was relegated the first year. After a few years down, then up in 1961-63. The team managed to go up to the APL in 1974 and stayed up for 16 years, which helped them gain some exposure year after year. A new 18,000 seat stadium also helped. But then a 14 year spell in League 2 and 3 from 1991 to 2006 ruined all progress. The team is almost always in the talk to be relegated, and last were in League 2 as late as last season. A first place finish in 2014 has lead to the two Rhode Island teams to be playing in the top tier again, just like old times.

Their logo has remained the same since 1922. Their traditional Where's Waldo hoops have been used since also.
FallRiver.png

Cause they're still in Nassau County? Common link between the two cities and to differentiate between them and New York Teams. Also I could find a vector of the seal so I used that hahah

The borough of Queens is Queens County, The borough of Brooklyn is Kings County. Nassau County is a chunk of the island east of Queens, and then the rest of the island is Suffolk County.

bex2bn.jpg

v7xt0k.jpg

Pawtucket Rangers
The rangers are another storied team in US Soccer. Founded in 1900, the team played for 33 seasons before the APL realigned. They were another major get by the early founders of the league. A Scottish-American bought the team, and dressed them up like the Glasgow based Rangers FC. The team is known for their Rhode Island Red crest, spawned from a tradition similar to the squid at the Red Wings games. Before home games, someone would sneak the rooster in and release it on the field. It became a sign of good luck when they won their first league title in 1952. Pawtucket won their first US Open in 1962. The team was hurt by the expansion of the league to bigger markets, and couldn't bring in good players. 1967 was their first relegation, but bounced back the next year. From 1980-1987, the team played in the 2nd division. The team made a miraculous run to the US Open title in 1987, the again in 1998. The team spent the majority of the 2000s in League 2, with some brief stints in the top league. They were promoted last season, but are projected to finish near the bottom of the league.

Pawtucket.png

St. Louis Athletic

St. Louis at a time was the farthest west the APL went. Started by workers at the Busch brewery, the team was started in 1935, and were playing in the APL for most of the time since. The Saints' first taste of glory came with back to back US Open Cups in 1957 and 58. Often quiet in the early days, St. Louis fell down to the depth of the APL and were relegated in 1977, only to be promoted 2 years later. This shook the owners and fan base and they vowed to never have that happen again. The team won their first league title in 1987, then another in 1996. Since the new millennium, The Saints have been arguably the best team overall. A St. Louis native striker came through the youth system, and immediately raised them to a top tier team. A US Open in 2000, and a league title in 2001 proved that the Saints were legit. After back to back USOC in 05 and 06, the team came close to a Treble in 2010. Their 6th US Open title came weeks after a CONCACAF Champions League title. Since that 2010 Champions League title, the team won it twice more, in 2011 and 2014. They capped off their trophy case with the last two league titles.

St. Louis has always been red and blue, but since their 1995 rebrand they've gone with more of a garnet color.
StLouis.png

I'm a fan of these kits, and most of the logo, but you lose me when it comes to the content in the shield. I think dark blue on dark red always ends up looking muddied, especially from afar, like how the shield ends up looking on the jerseys. Same problem the Colorado Rapids have when they recolor their shield for their state flag jerseys.

(It's also amusing to me how these could basically be kits for the U.S. national team, or at least the USWNT. The primary reminds me of the color balance for this kit and the clash--especially with Leroux as the NOB--reminds me of the current Women's World Cup primary.)

Dayum, that St. Louis logo is beautiful. I love every part of that set, including the wacky clash socks. And Tampa looks pretty awesome, mainly because I'm a sucker for pinstripes

Didn't even notice those until you pointed them out, but you're right, they're awesome haha.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Pawtucket may be one of my new favorites honestly! I love the balance of color on the primary set (B-W-R is very striking in that order), and the crest is very classy. Very well done once again!

I agree. Love the color balance, and I think the collars make the kits all the more classy. The clash jersey may be one of my favorites you've done this series, with the double stripes at the bottom breaking up the all-white for what I'm sure would be a great-looking kit on the pitch.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Pawtucket is my favorite one so far, excellent job on the crest. Everything just looks amazing.

Can't wait for the Maryland team, even if it will be awhile!

spacer.png

Archived