American Premier League - All done!

raysox

Bethlehem Steel

One of the most successful teams in American soccer finds their home in the top tier of US soccer. Bethlehem won 4 US Open Cups in the 1910s, and one in the 1920s. The team survived the soccer wars between the American Soccer League and USSF and the Great Depression, and won the 1935 US Open. Early on, the team was made up completely by workers at Bethlehem Steel. During the Second World War, the team experienced a great boost in play due to the increase of European immigrants. Five straight US Opens starting in 1943 brought their total to 11. The team won their first and only league title in 1955. An ownership group bought the team from the steel company who eventually considered the team a burden. In the contract, they made sure the team wouldn't have a sponsor, and still keep the Bethlehem Steel name. It was the beginning of the end for the team in Eastern PA. The immigrant system would die out, and the team had to rely on buying players. Bigger markets drew players away from the Steel. In 1962, the Steel were relegated for the first time. In 1973, they made a run to the top league. That only lasted a few seasons before going back down in 1976. In 1977, the team almost folded, and saw them relegated to the 3rd league of US Soccer. It took them until 1997 to make it back to League 2. The Steel finally brought back the glory years by making it to the top tier in 2005. Since then, they bring players through their youth system, then sell them. The most recent success has been the 2011 US Open Cup, the 12th in their storied history.

The team wears the traditional black/white/black on home, then does some version of a red clash. This case, red and white stripes.

Bethlehem.png

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bethlehem Steel

One of the most successful teams in American soccer finds their home in the top tier of US soccer. Bethlehem won 4 US Open Cups in the 1910s, and one in the 1920s. The team survived the soccer wars between the American Soccer League and USSF and the Great Depression, and won the 1935 US Open. Early on, the team was made up completely by workers at Bethlehem Steel. During the Second World War, the team experienced a great boost in play due to the increase of European immigrants. Five straight US Opens starting in 1943 brought their total to 11. The team won their first and only league title in 1955. An ownership group bought the team from the steel company who eventually considered the team a burden. In the contract, they made sure the team wouldn't have a sponsor, and still keep the Bethlehem Steel name. It was the beginning of the end for the team in Eastern PA. The immigrant system would die out, and the team had to rely on buying players. Bigger markets drew players away from the Steel. In 1962, the Steel were relegated for the first time. In 1973, they made a run to the top league. That only lasted a few seasons before going back down in 1976. In 1977, the team almost folded, and saw them relegated to the 3rd league of US Soccer. It took them until 1997 to make it back to League 2. The Steel finally brought back the glory years by making it to the top tier in 2005. Since then, they bring players through their youth system, then sell them. The most recent success has been the 2011 US Open Cup, the 12th in their storied history.
The team wears the traditional black/white/black on home, then does some version of a red clash. This case, red and white stripes.
Bethlehem.png

I was waiting for the part in the backstory where it says when that part of the contract ran out and they started using a sponsor, as seen in in the concept, but it never happened?

I like the primary, though. Reminds me of a reverse of Fulham's kit when Adidas decided to try out those deep triangular collars.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Milwaukee United

The team in Milwaukee was once two teams. The Croatian Eagles and Milwaukee Bavarians were established in the 1920s. They were a part of some Mid West leagues for several years, but they both saw an opportunity to jump to the top league in the country, situated in the North East. The travel costs would hurt whoever gets accepted, so the Croatians and Germans merged their club to form a super team and attack the established powers. The team's half blue half red kits were seen as a joke by teams because it was so different from anything they've seen. They picked up the nickname "Harlequins" in the late 30s. It took till 1951 to win their first piece of hardware. In 1951 they won the US Open and the league. The team brought over a lot of talent from Europe after the war and it showed, because the next year they won another US Open. The year after that they won the league title. Smaller market Milwaukee has always had trouble building up teams because they had no choice but to sell their players. Often mediocre, United had only played outside the APL for 4 seasons since 1937. They were relegated, then promoted the next year in the early 70s. Then again in 1979, and they didn't climb back up until 1982. In the 33 years since, the only trophy they won was a run to the US Open Cup in 1999. The team has a great fan base, and they've known to demand the best from their owners, despite only 3 playoff appearances in the last 15 years.

Milwaukee.png

I'm not really feeling how the Bavarian checkers and normal checkers meet. I think I would split it with a white line. Really sweet kits, though.

I second this. To me, it kinda looks a bit awkward how the two different checkers meet in the crest. The kits are great, but I might wanna reconsider how the crest is divided between the two former clubs.

if each side of the jersey had their respective checker pattern sublimated, it would be perfect... or maybe too much.. just on the white kit would be perfect.

I absolutely love the home kit. Top notch. I feel like you could do better with the away though. Maybe work in Milwaukee's ties to the brewing industry?

spacer.png

I agree that there may be a better way for the different checker patterns to interact. Maybe if they were closer to the same size it would look better.

The kits are great, though. I actually like that you didn't use the checker patterns anywhere. I would probably be a little too much.

Archived