Changes that were GOOD

hockey week

This

dec0710_07nazzy08_b_std.jpg

To this

15_0305_Biega.jpg

My gripe is those giant "VANCOUVER" letters.

IMHO it doenst fit. The C "orca-Totem" logo alone on those great blue jersey would've been awesome.

But it ain't a "good" change I think. Its "neutral" or me.

Seeing those Canucks jerseys from that era gives me Bertuzzi-Moore nightmares.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The football Cardinals went from this:

BestPicksCardsMAIN.jpg

To this:

Anquan+Boldin+Arizona+Cardinals+v+Caroli

The Cardinals used to have the most crushingly boring uniforms in football after they got rid of the Cardinal on the road unis in the mid-90s.

The new look gave them a serious jolt.

15_0305_Biega.jpg

My gripe is those giant "VANCOUVER" letters.

IMHO it doenst fit. The C "orca-Totem" logo alone on those great blue jersey would've been awesome.

But it ain't a "good" change I think. Its "neutral" or me.

The "VANCOUVER" script looks more dated every year but those colours are a huge upgrade.

Some of these have been mentioned already, but my main list is as follows--and if I added to it I would add some other examples given here. (These are all NHL)

-Blue jackets--definitely--makes a lot of sense.

-I love the Stars' current look--certainly an upgrade

-I also agree with the mention of the Oilers' move to the Blue & Copper--it has class to it--not the tackiness thy had before & have again---it was a great look.

-The St Louis Blues dumping red

-The Flames dumping the flaming snot horse head logo--(although I'd like to see them dump the current unis & go back to their original ones, or juts a flaming C on their current alts--I'd be okay with that too)

-the Canucks twice--first--dumping the V jerseys & then changing to their currents ones.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

This:

Alex%20Smith%2049ers.jpg

To this:

2012-11-21-colin-kaepernick-4_3.jpg

Big time upgrade. 49ers uniform used to be a mess. Now its a clean and sleek look.

And ruined it by adding this trainwreck of an alternate...

San-Francisco-49ers-Alternate-Jersey-e14

bufg.png

This:

Alex%20Smith%2049ers.jpg

To this:

Big time upgrade. 49ers uniform used to be a mess. Now its a clean and sleek look.

Another one I disagree with. The current uniforms have poor color distribution (no gold at all on the jerseys), those ugly truncated sleeve stripes, and traded out the metallic gold pants for dull khaki pants. Honestly, if they had just replaced the drop shadows with black outlines and removed the logo from the sleeves from the previous uniforms, they'd have had a timeless look. Instead they brought back uniforms that sucked in the '80s and don't look any better in 2015.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

The NFL switching to Nike. I always thought the Reebok material looked cheap, especially the shimmer fabric. That's why I continue to clamor for the day that the Raiders switch to the Elite 51 template.

I know that a lot of people can and will argue that the matte fabric has ruined shiny pants or that this teams like the Browns and Buccaneers were look worse than they did before their recent rebrands. Those are just outliers, though, as teams like Vikings, Seahawks, Jaguars (outside of the helmet) and Dolphins have improved from their previous looks.

Overall, 26* of the 32 teams in the league looks better because of Nike, not in spite of it. *This number obviously does not include the Raiders, Packers, Panthers, or Falcons, as they did not switch.

This:

Alex%20Smith%2049ers.jpg

To this:

I am not a fan of khaki footbal pants.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

Islanders25.png

Islanders27.png

I've long felt this was a downgrade. The current uniforms are totally garish on the ice. The previous look is far superior in-game.

Professional:

X2XXTRp.jpg

Eye-Searing:

BlLJCx9.jpg

I'll preface what I'm about to say by saying first that I always preferred the Islanders in navy and orange over the original colors...

But I really don't find the original/current colors garish or eye searing at all. Garish and eye-searing to me is what Oregon wore vs. Auburn in the NTG a few years back, or the Seahawks' neon alt or the Astros' tequila sunrise. What the Islanders wear now is hardly that to me. If they are, then so are the Mets and Knicks, and so were the Broncos, etc.

I think the Islanders made the right choice as far as going back to the old design idea and ditching the phantom yoke/filled-in sleeves. That said, though I still find the original colors good, I liked navy and orange a whole lot better on them and would've preferred the current set be colored that way (so basically nearly what they wore pre-Edge).

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

This:

Alex%20Smith%2049ers.jpg

To this:

I am not a fan of khaki footbal pants.

To me the 49ers would have been much better off adding some gold to the jersey and getting rid of those dumb cutoff sleeve stripes. Something like this looks worlds better to me. Ignore the side I didn't photoshop.

18504442306_c334722d6e_o.jpg

The football Cardinals went from this:

BestPicksCardsMAIN.jpg

To this:

Anquan+Boldin+Arizona+Cardinals+v+Caroli

The Cardinals used to have the most crushingly boring uniforms in football after they got rid of the Cardinal on the road unis in the mid-90s.

The new look gave them a serious jolt.

I am definitely going to have to have to disagree on this one. The Cardinals might have needed a little updating, but the new uniforms are just a nightmare of aesthetics.

This:

Alex%20Smith%2049ers.jpg

To this:

It'll get worse once they start mixing and matching the black jersey/pants with the white/red jersey and the khaki pants.

This:

Alex%20Smith%2049ers.jpg

To this:

It'll get worse once they start mixing and matching the black jersey/pants with the white/red jersey and the khaki pants.

I don't even want to think about that possibility.

Tf9TG.jpg

The NFL switching to Nike. I always thought the Reebok material looked cheap, especially the shimmer fabric. That's why I continue to clamor for the day that the Raiders switch to the Elite 51 template.

I know that a lot of people can and will argue that the matte fabric has ruined shiny pants or that this teams like the Browns and Buccaneers were look worse than they did before their recent rebrands. Those are just outliers, though, as teams like Vikings, Seahawks, Jaguars (outside of the helmet) and Dolphins have improved from their previous looks.

Overall, 26* of the 32 teams in the league looks better because of Nike, not in spite of it. *This number obviously does not include the Raiders, Packers, Panthers, or Falcons, as they did not switch.

Hmm. That's a tough one. Overall, after the first two seasons of the NFL switching to Nike, I would have said it was a slight upgrade, but very close after adding up all the plus and minuses. I think Nike has done a pretty good job with most of the teams that they simply transferred over to their template. Oddly, they seem to do best with a really traditional look... the Bears, Chiefs, Niners, Giants, Bills, etc., all look cleaner IMO in the Nike template than in the RBK one. In other words, Nike can be a pretty decent uniform supplier when they are handed an already good design and they simply do what they're told. However, there have been glaring missteps even in the basic translations. The toilet seat collars were, and are, laughably ugly, the color issues with teams like the Jets and Eagles have been embarrassing, and the belly sweat boxes have stood out way too much in certain colors... the Lion's blue is an especially bad color for sweat, apparently.

And as far as the uniforms the Nike had a hand in redesigning, only the Vikings is a clear update IMO. The Dolphins and Seahawks are not too big of a downgrade (in the Seahawks' case their previous uniform's crappiness helps here)(Also the Seahawks' current uniform could rise from bottom 5 to middle of pack if they could shrug off the arena-league envy and ditch the monochrome), but the Browns, Buccaneers, and Jaguars are unmitigated disasters (in Jacksonville's case, you can't say "outside of the helmet"... that's like saying it was an excellent meal, outside of the fact that it gave you the runs for 4 days).

So, has Nike been an improvement over Reebok? Good question... you'd almost have to do a team by team rating, then add up the overall results. Nike might possibly come up as a slight winner, but another thing to take into account is where their relationship with the NFL is going. If what they did to Cleveland and Tampa is any indication... taking classic and/or timeless looks, and crapping all over them, it might be best to see the NFL go in another direction.

And as far as the uniforms the Nike had a hand in redesigning, only the Vikings is a clear update IMO. The Dolphins and Seahawks are not too big of a downgrade (in the Seahawks' case their previous uniform's crappiness helps here)(Also the Seahawks' current uniform could rise from bottom 5 to middle of pack if they could shrug off the arena-league envy and ditch the monochrome), but the Browns, Buccaneers, and Jaguars are unmitigated disasters (in Jacksonville's case, you can't say "outside of the helmet"... that's like saying it was an excellent meal, outside of the fact that it gave you the runs for 4 days).

In my opinion, the Dolphins new look is an upgrade. Their old look showed too much age and their colors were too dark. I'm glad they went with a more modern look without doing too much and I also like the brighter colors.

I have always been amazed at how much Nike is preferred. Aside from too much reliance on side panels and piping, I think reebok was fine. Both hit some and missed some on redesigns but Nike uniforms just look cheaper to me with the sweat boxes and mismatched colors. I think Nike has been a disaster. Also the Jags are awful below the neck too.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

In my opinion, the Dolphins new look is an upgrade. Their old look showed too much age and their colors were too dark. I'm glad they went with a more modern look without doing too much and I also like the brighter colors.

Agreed. This is the best the Dolphins have ever looked. Outside of the Buccaneers number font disaster, the strange all-black 49ers (was this Nike or the team that pushed this?) and Jaguars helmet, Nike has done an amazing job with the NFL. What they have done to the Seahawks, Vikings, Dolphins, Jaguars (neck down) and Browns is flat out superb. Now if they can just fix the Bengals, Cardinals, and Falcons.

Archived