Changes that were GOOD

hockey week

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And as far as the uniforms the Nike had a hand in redesigning, only the Vikings is a clear update IMO. The Dolphins and Seahawks are not too big of a downgrade (in the Seahawks' case their previous uniform's crappiness helps here)(Also the Seahawks' current uniform could rise from bottom 5 to middle of pack if they could shrug off the arena-league envy and ditch the monochrome), but the Browns, Buccaneers, and Jaguars are unmitigated disasters (in Jacksonville's case, you can't say "outside of the helmet"... that's like saying it was an excellent meal, outside of the fact that it gave you the runs for 4 days).

In my opinion, the Dolphins new look is an upgrade. Their old look showed too much age and their colors were too dark. I'm glad they went with a more modern look without doing too much and I also like the brighter colors.

Well, I didn't say it was a giant downgrade, since IMO the old uniform had flaws and needed some work, but my issues with the new Dolphin uniform seem to be the same as a lot of the posters here. The logo is just kind of bland... as been stated many times, it seems much more suited to a corporate resort than a sports team. Also, the de-emphasizing of orange is very disappointing. And the brightening of the colors, in theory, should have been a positive change... I'm usually on board with brighter colors. In this case it just doesn't seem to work for me personally, I'm not entirely sure why. The overall effect just looks a little washed out to me.

The Browns, Bucs, and Jags (there is no "outside the helmet"... the helmet is the most prominent part of a football uniform)... I just can't fathom any possible defense for these.

I have to put this here, because unlike so many people on this board, I feel like the current 49ers uniforms is blah at best:

From This:

c07_rice_top_06_253727.jpg?w=1000&h=808

To This:

RiceOwen.jpg

The only thing is that there is a another uniform in between those two.

I have to put this here, because unlike so many people on this board, I feel like the current 49ers uniforms is blah at best:

From This:

To This:

RiceOwen.jpg

Which one? Are you referring to the one off 1994 season where they ended up wearing the "throwback" uni the entire season and won Super Bowl 29?

radio_qbs_suber_bowl_08.jpg

They switched back to the one Rice is wearing above in '95 before they went to their '96 Cardinal red ones. And officially the one Rice is wearing above remained their official uniform even during the 1994 Super Bowl 29 season even if they never wore it.

As for the Niners unis themselves, the return to the more or less 80's style has been universally lauded in the Bay Area. I've never met a person until today who actually preferred the Cardinal red ones. Just goes to show, you give the people what they want, not the people on an obscure logos website ;)

There was a version of the darker red w/ drop-shadow numbers that was worn with white pants... not the SB throwbacks, but a new uniform. I think they only wore it for maybe one season before they brought in the shiny gold pants.

It was a weird little hiccup before returning to their classic and best uniforms IMO (odd sleeve stripe decision aside.)

Yes, they also used a different, thicker block font that season.

And I agree with you about the current set being great. I don't mind the khaki pants, but I could certainly live with their pants being shiny gold to match their helmets. That being said, I'd like to see the Venn diagram of people who rage(d) against the matte pants and those who faun all over Nike uniforms. It seemed like a whole lot of the people who complained about the matte pants which had a historical precedent have no issue at all with all teams being given matte pants.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

From This:

To This:

RiceOwen.jpg

Whatever uniform came before the black would be the one...I just know I hate the 49ers current look and anything that looks like them.

spacer.png

There was a version of the darker red w/ drop-shadow numbers that was worn with white pants... not the SB throwbacks, but a new uniform. I think they only wore it for maybe one season before they brought in the shiny gold pants.

It was a weird little hiccup before returning to their classic and best uniforms IMO (odd sleeve stripe decision aside.)

Yeah that was '94. Those were the throwbacks Steve Young is wearing above with the white pants and the black drop shadow (sans gold). They originally were only to be worn select games, but the Niners got superstitious and asked for an exemption to wear them the whole season, which they did.

In '96 and '97 they originally wore the cardinal jersey (with gold and black drop shadow) with white pants (it was basically an homage to the '94 uniform which has been popular at the time). But due to poor reception by fans they switched back to the gold pants in short order, but the uniform top remained the same.

13020310384491.jpg

The football Cardinals went from this:

BestPicksCardsMAIN.jpg

To this:

Anquan+Boldin+Arizona+Cardinals+v+Caroli

The Cardinals used to have the most crushingly boring uniforms in football after they got rid of the Cardinal on the road unis in the mid-90s.

The new look gave them a serious jolt.

I am definitely going to have to have to disagree on this one. The Cardinals might have needed a little updating, but the new uniforms are just a nightmare of aesthetics.

Boring (classic) >>> clownish panels and piping

The football Cardinals went from this:

BestPicksCardsMAIN.jpg

To this:

Anquan+Boldin+Arizona+Cardinals+v+Caroli

The Cardinals used to have the most crushingly boring uniforms in football after they got rid of the Cardinal on the road unis in the mid-90s.

The new look gave them a serious jolt.

I am definitely going to have to have to disagree on this one. The Cardinals might have needed a little updating, but the new uniforms are just a nightmare of aesthetics.

Boring (classic) >>> clownish panels and piping

Classic? Just cause it's old and plain doesn't make it classic. They lost in those uniforms for years and those uniforms were hated back then...

15_0305_Biega.jpg

My gripe is those giant "VANCOUVER" letters.

IMHO it doenst fit. The C "orca-Totem" logo alone on those great blue jersey would've been awesome.

But it ain't a "good" change I think. Its "neutral" or me.

The "VANCOUVER" script looks more dated every year but those colours are a huge upgrade.

These days, I couldn't agree more. But when they first introduced the dark blues, I was absolutely blown away. Of course, they introduced it with the "orca-totem" C, so that is probably what really caught my eye.

Hated by who?

Damiensmith98. Oh, and Dennisbergan. I'm sure a whole lot of people were underwhelmed by that Cardinals set, but I don't think very many people actively hated it.

But I know a lot of people hate their current Reebok leftovers...

G.A.'s facial expressions tell the story.

garret_anderson_studio_portrait_photofil00a3e70fe668644b926db119ef3e5ade.jpg

Making the belts and shoes red in recent years is an upgrade in itself.

So...Mr. Anderson goes from bored to constipated and slightly confused? Not sure that's an upgrade...

Archived