Team Specific colors in league logos

JasonFromMiami

I think you just proved my point.

Even with the keyline, the lighter ones dissolve into an illegible mess at smaller sizes.

Then why not make the shield background the secondary color?

2GdZm5j.png

Or you could use the primary color as the "NFL" color and add a keyline for pop as needed:

1iCEIBJ.png

The reason re-colors work in baseball is the white batter separating the two colors. Re-coloring the NFL shield the way you have here muddies it, especially for smaller applications.

Most college conferences do this, and so does BTN for their team-specific broadcasts (graphic prior to UMD and Rutgers):

big-ten-network-logos-2011-team-specific

It's a great way to help unify the branding of the league/sport overall while maintaining team individuality.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Got bored and did the AFC if they this sort of thing with the NFL logo. Some of 'em could certainly use different color schemes.

2yngyg7.jpg

Got bored? Or stole my ideas?

Didn't say it was my idea, just made these into an actual image so we could actually see it.

all_teams_sig_classic_small.pngall_teams_sig4_small.png

The jerseys logos have been in team colors since they debuted in 2000. The question is about the cap logos. I believe the cap logos may have been all RWB for a year or so upon debut, but that was the early '90s so I'm too young to know. I know that as early as 1995, all MLB caps had team-color logos.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think you just proved my point.

Even with the keyline, the lighter ones dissolve into an illegible mess at smaller sizes.

Then why not make the shield background the secondary color?

2GdZm5j.png

Or you could use the primary color as the "NFL" color and add a keyline for pop as needed:

1iCEIBJ.png

The reason re-colors work in baseball is the white batter separating the two colors. Re-coloring the NFL shield the way you have here muddies it, especially for smaller applications.

The NFL is already doing it that way with their obsession with gold to severely hype up the 50th Super Bowl as seen on the back of the 2015 Draft hats (Packers one, obviously, shown):

0303510049_20_13_a_2500.jpg

And also on the gray version, they have personalized shields with gray to match the rest of the hat (still Packers):

tSjESIT.jpg

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

Not really feeling this kind of initiative when the league logo is red, white, and blue and so are most of its teams. Lookin' at you, em-ell-bee. Never really liked that logo anyway when an update of the baseball flag would be cooler and more distinct from the NBA.

It works well for the NHL, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I really can't say when the team colors first started but if i recall, 1992 was when mlb batterman first appeared on the back of the caps and i think the first half of the season they were mlb colors. A classmate had a mariners hat with that, and somewhere later that season or starting in '93 was when the team colors appeared on the hats. Can anyone help with more info about this? I do know it was '92 when the batterman was on the hats.

• 1 year later...
On 6/5/2015 at 2:13 PM, Gothamite said:

Okay, had a couple spare minutes at work.

MLSnext_23.png

I think this is a pretty good setup for the league - sure, it's a little blue-heavy, but there's a nice diversity here. More so than most leagues.

I guess you will have to update your graphic again Gothamite. :)

LAFC and ATL United FC have logos now and you could add a place marker for the new Miami team.  Maybe just use the NASL team logo of Miami FC like you did for Minnisota.

547573932017.gif548055242018.gif579399602016.gif

Totally forgot about this thread - I've been updating that graphic regularly for other threads, as new logos are revealed.  Here's how it stands now:

MLSnext_next.png

The MLS shields are official for Atlanta and LA.  You can also see that the Red Bulls changed their version of the shield so it no longer matches the league standard.

Also, FWIW. I've changed the background of a few to better reflect the clubs' jerseys.

I won't add Miami to this graphic until they're officially in MLS, and then I'll include whatever logo or placeholder logo/colors are part of that announcement (like with Atlanta and LAFC).  I wouldn't use the NASL logo, because unlike Minnesota it's a competing club, not the same team

Archived