NBA Uniform Re-Design Project *CLEVELAND CAVALIERS ALTERNATE updated 02.13.17*

iamdaviinci

Ideally, I'd like to create uniform concepts for every team in the League. Realistically, I may or may not complete the entire League, but every team I work on will be posted in this thread.

Many of my uniform concepts will be '90s-influenced in terms of color palettes and certain design elements, but with the intent of being modern and more refined. Home uniform wordmarks will showcase team names, and away uniform wordmarks will showcase team cities. Logos will not be included on the shorts, as I want to focus on creating more iconic looks instead of simply slapping a primary or alternate logo on the leg for the sake of identification. NBA logos return to the front of the jersey, and are balanced out by the Nike logo.

I'd like to thank Daniel_Ramone for sharing the template he created and shared here. I'd also like to thank Conrad for all of the work he's done in terms of fonts, as I've found several excellent options on his site here.

Thanks for taking the time to view my thread, and as always comments and criticism are appreciated!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first team is the Milwaukee Bucks. I originally designed this concept last fall, but in addition to adapting it to the new template I've also made some minor updates to brighten the color palette and improve the proportions of the striping. The Irish rainbow is too unique of an element stylistically to exclude, and the vibrance of it pairs well with the vintage-esque cream.

Milwaukee Bucks Home Uniform

B1XaSml.jpg

Milwaukee Bucks Away Uniform

sYyHcxE.jpg

Comments and criticism welcome. Thanks for looking!

I'm excited for another basketball redesign. There have been many great NBA redesigns and it's going to be interesting to see what you invent. The Bucks looks really good! The font is a bit different though...try the Columbus Blue Jackets alternate font (you'll find it on the website)...

TWolf

i like the way this is going but you should add the cream the bucks are using and exclude yours because its really more yellow than a cream color and the font you need either there new font or just a better one then your current. im looking forward to seeing more of your designs.

EDIT: the all green look should have a dark purple like from one of the bucks old looks before they dropped the color. keep the accents of the irish rainbow and change the 'cream' youre using to the bucks current idiration of the color

banner_zps4po4z5y5.png

Not sure about the font and the all green look. Green is for the Celtics.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

Thanks for the comments and suggestions! The font definitely needed changing, and the block font from their re-branding effort works well with the linearity of the side panels. Also, the shade of cream has been adjusted to reflect that of their re-branding effort as well. It's a lot less yellow, and much more of a true cream. While there is a lot of green here, and it traditionally does identify with the Boston Celtics, another team or two will end up in green before I'm finished with this project. One thing that I'm making a conscious effort to do, however, is maintain unique color palettes for each team - there are way too many red, white, and blue teams in the League currently, so that redundancy is something from which I intend to stray.

Milwaukee Bucks Home Uniform

9sewApf.jpg

Milwaukee Bucks Road Uniform

WX78VLa.jpg

I prefer this version over the original draft, but please let me know your thoughts!

Will there be alternative jerseys as well for this league redesign? And I think a blue or orange could help create a better identity for the Bucks since green is commonly associated with the Celtics as mentioned earlier, other than that the Bucks look great! Cant wait to see what you have in store for the Cavs!

im glad you changed the lettering because the bucks re-branding is the best in the league as of late and the font they use is simple and it works wonderfully i still think the green jersey should be purple but i love what u have done

banner_zps4po4z5y5.png

If you want to differentiate from the Celtics (which is what the Bucks tried to emulate when they were a new team in the early 70's), I'd suggest adding black and baby blue accents just like their current re-brand template, but other than that, they look pretty amazing!

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

Thanks for all the input! I'm too big a fan of the Irish rainbow to abandon it, though I certainly agree there are a few different color schemes that would work for the Bucks. I created a concept a while back using the colors introduced in their re-branding effort, but I don't think I ever posted it....it's a unique combination of colors and I'm excited for the official uniform unveiling on Saturday, but it's a little too bland for my tastes. In the spirit of the '90s I originally wanted to utilize the purple/green/black/silver color palette, but nothing I did with it turned out looking quite right. The mid-'90s uniforms with the large buck on the front of the jersey are still some of my all-time favorites for reasons I don't even understand.

As for alternate uniforms, I would like to work on some. I want to make them at least somewhat unique and not just a different color third jersey, and I don't intend to create them for all teams, or even many necessarily. If anything, I'll go back at a later time and work on alternates as a separate segment of this project.

Now, it's on to the Atlanta Hawks. Their '90s gradient is too unique of a design element to ignore, and the black/red/yellow color palette is much nicer than their current one and seemingly safer than whatever direction their heading with their upcoming re-brand. I do like the pattern from their leaked Christmas Day uniforms, however, and I've incorporated it despite not yet knowing the significance of it, if there's any at all.

Atlanta Hawks Home Uniform

htBhES0.jpg

Atlanta Hawks Away Uniform

zUZKliJ.jpg

Please let me know your thoughts!

I think the Hawks' away uniforms you whipped up would look better with the gradient in just the side panels. Save the gradient on the actual jersey for the alternate if you ever get around to it. Otherwise, I'm a fan.

I dig the second Bucks uniforms you posted. If the uniforms look anything like those, I'd be stoked!

Thanks all!

I'm really impressed with how the Bucks' re-brand turned out with the unveiling of their uniforms today, and I may go back to make some minor adjustments such as arching the lettering. I may end up doing the same with the Hawks once they unveil their new uniforms.

For now, it's on to the classic look of the Los Angeles Lakers. Not many changes here, as their look is simply too iconic to overhaul; rather, I've simple re-introduced the drop shadow text and created a new away uniform wordmark. They trend a little more toward throwbacks, but I'm comfortable with that given the history associated with a team like the Lakers.

Los Angeles Lakers Home Uniform

OlpsaDh.jpg

Los Angeles Lakers Away Uniform

SYQZpgf.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Archived