NBA Uniform Re-Design Project *CLEVELAND CAVALIERS ALTERNATE updated 02.13.17*

iamdaviinci

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys!

WhitecapsForLife11 - I've worked on the Raptors in the past, but all of the recent discussion regarding their ongoing re-branding has given me a lot to think about. I'm not sure when I'll get to them, but once I have a coherent design together I'll definitely share it!

Shadojoker - I'm not sure what I'm going to do in terms of alternate uniforms for the League as a whole, but I'm currently considering doing something along the lines of city pride/nicknames/etcetcetc. I'm very much open to ideas and suggestions, though, and if you have any specific requests you'd like to see done please just let me know!

Excellent job! A lot of thought and effort went into these and it shows!

Thanks for the kind words! This was very good to hear, as a few of what I consider to be teams with classic uniforms (Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, etc.) are more minor updates than original overhauls. I'm always looking for subtle details to liven things up a bit, so any and all ideas and suggestions are very much welcome!

We're now moving forward to the Chicago Bulls. While I tend to think of them in the same discussion as the aforementioned teams in terms of having classic uniforms, I've run into an issue with the design of their shorts; their iconic diamond side panels yield too much blank space for my logo-less re-design. Instead, the shape of the diamonds have been retained through the implementation of bull horns, and the negative space contains the four 6-point stars from Chicago's flag. I actually really like the way the shorts turned out, but I'm curious to know everyone else's thoughts. Other than that, the red has been saturated slightly and the wordmarks have now both become cursive scripts....I always loved their original 'Chicago' script on their away jerseys, but the inconsistency between that and the block lettering on their home jerseys drove me crazy.

Chicago Bulls Home Uniform

Jw2jQ76.jpg

Chicago Bulls Away Uniform

ZC80uAd.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I'm currently on the Indiana Pacers, though I'm torn on which direction to follow....I'm not a fan of modernizing their pinstripe nor diagonal color-blocking looks, and I guess I see them as much more of a blue collar team fit for a clean, simple look. I initially overdid the checkerboard pattern by implementing it as an all-over sublimated print, but I think it works well within the side panels. My only concern is that this look may be too plain....any thoughts on this?

Indiana Pacers Home Uniform

KzRGx9l.jpg

Indiana Pacer Away Uniform

X2wgkSw.jpg

Thanks!

(I'll give ratings to be more clear on the C&C)

Bulls - I think the script could use some enlarging but everything else looks solid. 8/10

Pacers - Awesome! Love the pattern. The only think I'd nitpick at is the the pattern isn't incredibly visible on the dark jersey. I'd say a definite 9/10.

I LOVE the checkers and letter font on the Pacers jerseys! I would think however that they would look better if you made the checkers stand out better, especially on the road jerseys. A simple fix would be by making the pattern of the checkers blue and white on both jerseys. Also I would try to find a way to sneak the "P" logo on the shorts somewhere, be it on the side or lower front corner. Overall a great design and idea! I wish that both Indy teams would actually implement the use of checkers in their jerseys too! It's such a great way to represent their city and pay tribute to it's history in racing.

2281.gif187.gifgdm7egmgv3tsspc6f1gym7cwz.gif

We Are Cardinal Nation. Bleed Blue. Indiana's Game, Indiana's Team

9857qg.jpg

I really appreciate both of your feedback! The checkerboard pattern on the Pacers away uniform could definitely stand out more, so I've adjusted that slightly....it's intended to be a sublimated pattern so I don't want to make it too dark, but as both of you pointed out it definitely needs to be more visible. I like the blue and white checkerboard pattern in theory, but it reminds me too much of (what I consider to be) the disaster that was the Charlotte Bobcats Racing Day alternate uniform.

I'll also play around with the script on the Bulls uniforms....the combination of upper and lower case letters presents a challenge since they're not all of uniform height, but we'll see what happens.

KzRGx9l.jpg

Indiana Pacers Away Uniform

fxxXTi2.jpg

Thanks!

The next team is the San Francisco Warriors, though I don't have any justification for their relocation other than the fact that I felt like it. Their Run TMC-era uniforms are among my favorites, but I feel like this current team deserves something with slightly more flair. That's where the spear side panels come in (also note that the thin striping of the spears' handles continues on the jersey, though it does not show up due to the perspective of the template). Until watching the NBA Playoffs this year, I didn't realize how disappointed I was in the Warriors' uniforms....I'm not a fan of the center roundel despite the history of it, and the pinstripes on their shorts just don't work for me. I think this set is an upgrade, but please let me know what you think!

San Francisco Warriors Home Uniform

5Oi3b45.jpg

San Francisco Warriors Away Uniform

XqE8Y2q.jpg

Thanks for looking!

They look good and classic! But...it feels....I don't know...empty? There the arrow on the side but there's no reference to a Native heritage anywhere else. Maybe some Azteca-style striping somewhere? Good, but needs more...rate 8/10

Warriors are moving to a new stadium in San Francisco. It would be cool if they went with the name San Francisco instead of Golden State as there are 3 other California based NBA teams. Also, the uniforms with the cable cars surrounding the back numbers are sweet.

Bulls...no..not feeling the font and design. i always felt that the horns could be designed or incorporated in a Bulls uni similar to the HAWKS.

705vavfv6ge2zmdyd43qe6xig.gif

Now as the Pacers...you hit it perfectly on the head. Love the checkered patterns on the sides..Should be black/white/gold on the road though.

WARRIORS..nuff said..love it.

shado_logo.gif

I really like the typeface you chose for the Pacers. It provides an element of speed like on the FloJos, but in a much better and more modern font than Arial/Helvetica. I also like the simple design, though I agree that it's a little plain. I think making the side panels contrasting—blue with thick yellow trim on the home and yellow with thick white trim on the road—would help. Keep the checkers sublimated though...otherwise the look would just be gaudy.

I really appreciate all of the input everybody! I've made some revisions to each of the last three teams based on your thoughts and ideas, and the results along with some of my own thoughts and questions are below.

The Bulls didn't receive anything major - only an enlargement of their script. I really like the way the 'Chicago' wordmark looks, but I'm admittedly not a huge fan of the 'Bulls' wordmark....I went through literally thousands of script fonts, but that was the best one I could find. Any and all font suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Chicago Bulls Home Uniform

zkzuhli.jpg

Chicago Bulls Away Uniform

14O2XGq.jpg

The Pacers retained the sublimated checkerboard patterns, but received contrasting side panels with thicker striping. I think this works much better than the original version, as it eliminates the bareness without overdoing it. I also fixed the spacing on the home wordmark, as the letters were too far apart.

e11kYyE.jpg

Indiana Pacers Away Uniform

ggE0wAx.jpg

I'm very comfortable with the original version of the Warriors' uniforms, as I envision them as a team with a clean, classic look without many frills. However, I thought it'd be fun to experiment with the Aztec-inspired patterns in some capacity. Unfortunately, I'm not a huge fan of the way the sublimated side panels turned out....it reminds me of the back patterns on Adidas' sleeved Latin Nights jerseys, and too closely resembling a fashion jersey for my tastes. If anyone has any suggestions for other ways to incorporate such a pattern I'm open to suggestions.

San Francisco Warriors Home Uniform

AALnecD.jpg

San Francisco Warriors Away Uniform

Hmza8ho.jpg

Thanks!

THIS IS AMAZING.

Feedback so far

1. Bucks - I like the updated ones - for a third - I'd do a mint green, or a white.

2. Hawks - I think as someone said, having the sidepanels only having gradients would be better for the reds. I'd do a black and yellow alts.

3. Lakers - The roads Los Angeles text looks too crowded. Can you do the white alts?

4. Bulls - I feel the home script is too much of a deviation from the current set. The current set is far too iconic to change too much due to Jordan. Can you make a pinstripe black third?

5. Pacers - 10/10 Can't wait to see the yellow alt.

6. Warriors - I don't think they'll change their name to San Fran. Would be cool to see Golden State on the roads, but with 'Golden' taking up most of the space, and 'State' kinda small. The opposite of Michigan State.

LOVE the updated Pacers jersey! Looks way better that way! Not too far removed from what they wear now. Now that I look at it better, I can understand you not wanting to make the checkers standout too much. I don't recall ever seeing Charlotte's "Race Day" uni's, but I'll take your word for it. On the Pacers jerseys it's a subtle yet effective touch, and I would love to see it done in real life! (I however am not a fan of the yellow alternates, so I don't really think they would look as good with this design.) It's been 10 years since the Pacers had their last makeover, and I think it's time for another one! If they ever ask for fan submitted designs your's should be the first one they get!

2281.gif187.gifgdm7egmgv3tsspc6f1gym7cwz.gif

We Are Cardinal Nation. Bleed Blue. Indiana's Game, Indiana's Team

9857qg.jpg

Archived