NBA Uniform Re-Design Project *CLEVELAND CAVALIERS ALTERNATE updated 02.13.17*

iamdaviinci

Love the designs along the sides of the Warriors uniforms.

Thanks! I'm up and down on it in comparison to the original, but it definitely livens things up a bit.

THIS IS AMAZING.

Feedback so far

1. Bucks - I like the updated ones - for a third - I'd do a mint green, or a white.

2. Hawks - I think as someone said, having the sidepanels only having gradients would be better for the reds. I'd do a black and yellow alts.

3. Lakers - The roads Los Angeles text looks too crowded. Can you do the white alts?

4. Bulls - I feel the home script is too much of a deviation from the current set. The current set is far too iconic to change too much due to Jordan. Can you make a pinstripe black third?

5. Pacers - 10/10 Can't wait to see the yellow alt.

6. Warriors - I don't think they'll change their name to San Fran. Would be cool to see Golden State on the roads, but with 'Golden' taking up most of the space, and 'State' kinda small. The opposite of Michigan State.

Thanks for all of the individual feedback! You hit the nail on the head with just about all of the ideas for alternates....I'm still thinking of a creative spin to put on the alternates across the League, but I definitely intend to get to them somewhere down the line. I'm too stubborn about the Hawks' gradient, but the Bulls' script may undergo some more changes and the 'Golden State' wordmark may very well find its way onto the alternate (it'll come down to that and 'The City').

LOVE the updated Pacers jersey! Looks way better that way! Not too far removed from what they wear now. Now that I look at it better, I can understand you not wanting to make the checkers standout too much. I don't recall ever seeing Charlotte's "Race Day" uni's, but I'll take your word for it. On the Pacers jerseys it's a subtle yet effective touch, and I would love to see it done in real life! (I however am not a fan of the yellow alternates, so I don't really think they would look as good with this design.) It's been 10 years since the Pacers had their last makeover, and I think it's time for another one! If they ever ask for fan submitted designs your's should be the first one they get!

I appreciate the kind words! I'm very much with you on the yellow alternates, as they just don't fit with what I traditionally think of when it comes to the Indiana Pacers. Should they receive the alternate treatment in this series I'll be curious to know your thoughts!

The next team is the New York Knicks. No surprises here, as to me they fit in the category of classic teams whose uniforms are nearly untouchable. The only minor adjustments are the switch to a slightly bolder, more vibrant orange and 'KNICKS' replacing "NEW YORK' on the home uniform.

New York Knicks Home Uniform

aNEbkop.jpg

New York Knicks Away Uniform

XQ23AhN.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally...KNICKS on home and New York on the road...was waiting for another concept that incorporates "KNICKS" again.

I originally considered extending it to "KNICKERBOCKERS," but it was simply too many letters to look presentable. "KNICKS" is a nice change of pace from "NEW YORK," though.

Spurs One Please! (dance)

I'm really looking forward to working on the Spurs....I don't have any design ideas yet, but I definitely want to incorporate their '90s fiesta colors somehow!

After talking with a friend about Nike taking over as the NBA's official uniform outfitter starting in 2017/18, I came up with the idea to allow certain teams to be outfitted by Jordan Brand. The Bulls are an obvious candidate for this treatment, and their update is below.

Chicago Bulls Home Uniform

WpLXIrK.jpg

Chicago Bulls Away Uniform

3ZGe253.jpg

Another viable candidate for the Jordan Brand treatment is the Hornets. I'm lukewarm on their recent re-branding effort for the 2014/15 season, but their original pinstriped uniforms were some of my favorites to come out of the '90s. They retain their current font, but revert to the pinstripes, shift back to primarily teal with purple accents, and add sublimated honeycomb patterns along the side panels.

Charlotte Hornets Home Uniform

yDEHa35.jpg

Charlotte Hornets Away Uniform

TBQretL.jpg

Comments and criticism always welcomed! Thanks for looking!

Charlotte - It looks good but that volt/green stripe looks out of place. I know it's part of the colour scheme and all but it doesn't look right there. LOVE the honeycomb pattern though! Rate 8/10

Chicago update - it looks better, and more classic! 9/10

New York - Very clean, I really like how balanced the colours are. Rate 9.5/10

San Fran update - I really like that striping, and the pattern. Sharp! Rate 10/10

1. Bucks -The very direction I was hoping they'd go. Except I think white looks better than tan. I found myself preferring the road jersey (despite my preference ofthe shorter home wordmark).

Hawks - Not loving the gradient. And black and red is overused. I'd go straight red and yellow...but even if you want black, more yellow would set it apart some

Lakers - I think "Lakers" on both works better. (I almost would say this about the Bucks).

Bulls - Not a fan of the scripts. I suppose the road one has some attachment to history, though. I'd rather see a "Chicago" on the road that matches the current road mark. I love the shorts though with the horns and the city's four stars. I know the horns are two angular but it sort of nods toward the shapes they've historically used on their shorts. And properly-shaped horns may be too obvious.

Pacers - Awesome. I prefer the blue uniform because the checkers are more subtle...maybe they should be a bit more subtle at home, but that's a small nitpick on a great design.

Warriors - Solid, but I like the nod to the bridge on the current shorts. Maybe your wordmarks on their trim would work. I also feel you should add sleeve trim.

Knicks - Sleeve trim would help (but that's just a general preference of mine).

Hornets - I actually really like what the Hornets did and I don't know that the colorful pin stripes were meant to last forever. But much like with Indiana, I love the hive design on the side panels.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Hornets: much better than the actual new version.
Knicks: I agree; it's about time the jersey read "Knicks" instead of "New York" at home. How about writing "Knicker" above the numbers and "Bockers" below the numbers, a la "North" "Carolina"?
Bulls: Why not try using the official (not sure if NBA official or Adidas official) script? (Page 74 Adidas NBA catalog.)
https://s3.amazonaws.com/adidas-team/SLD_Licensed/NBA/2016/NBA_SP16_AP_INLINE/index.html#?page=74

Charlotte - It looks good but that volt/green stripe looks out of place. I know it's part of the colour scheme and all but it doesn't look right there. LOVE the honeycomb pattern though! Rate 8/10

Chicago update - it looks better, and more classic! 9/10

New York - Very clean, I really like how balanced the colours are. Rate 9.5/10

San Fran update - I really like that striping, and the pattern. Sharp! Rate 10/10

The pinstripes on the Hornets uniforms are good for nostalgia, but you're right - for the purpose of this re-design project they definitely don't look right at all. They've been adjusted to a more cohesive selection of colors, so hopefully they look better now. Please let me know your thoughts!

well done sir all of these are dope.. anything for the Sixers

Thanks! I'm holding off on the Sixers until they unveil their new uniforms next week, but after that I'll be getting to work on them. I've struggled with their late '90s/early '00s color palette in the past, as black/red/white/gold/blue/silver is an overwhelming amount of colors to work with, but I like that challenge. Hopefully their new, presumably classic-looking uniforms will give me an idea one way or the other as far as which direction to pursue.

These are great, can't wait to see what you do for the Rockets and Magic.

Thanks! I feel like there have been quite a few Rockets concepts on this board lately, several of which I really liked, so hopefully I can create something as respectable as the others.

I love what you've done so far, hope the Celtics don't change too much

Thank you! The Celtics are one of those teams with uniforms I view as being virtually untouchable, though I've made a subtle addition that ties into their heritage. Hope you like it, please let me know what you think!

Make the green hornets stripe purple and you have a winner.

The green stripe stuck out like a sore thumb, so it is now purple. Also, the navy stripe to the right of it has been changed to silver....it was more passable than the green because it was dark enough to pass as purple at a quick glance, but I think the silver works well to balance out the right side with the Carolina blue from the left side.

1. Bucks -The very direction I was hoping they'd go. Except I think white looks better than tan. I found myself preferring the road jersey (despite my preference ofthe shorter home wordmark).
  2. Hawks - Not loving the gradient. And black and red is overused. I'd go straight red and yellow...but even if you want black, more yellow would set it apart some
  3. Lakers - I think "Lakers" on both works better. (I almost would say this about the Bucks).
  4. Bulls - Not a fan of the scripts. I suppose the road one has some attachment to history, though. I'd rather see a "Chicago" on the road that matches the current road mark. I love the shorts though with the horns and the city's four stars. I know the horns are two angular but it sort of nods toward the shapes they've historically used on their shorts. And properly-shaped horns may be too obvious.
  5. Pacers - Awesome. I prefer the blue uniform because the checkers are more subtle...maybe they should be a bit more subtle at home, but that's a small nitpick on a great design.
  6. Warriors - Solid, but I like the nod to the bridge on the current shorts. Maybe your wordmarks on their trim would work. I also feel you should add sleeve trim.
  7. Knicks - Sleeve trim would help (but that's just a general preference of mine).
  8. Hornets - I actually really like what the Hornets did and I don't know that the colorful pin stripes were meant to last forever. But much like with Indiana, I love the hive design on the side panels.

I really appreciate you taking the time to offer comments on each team! Sleeve trim is something I hadn't considered adding to this template, but in terms of uniform aesthetics I think more often than not looks better with as opposed to without. Playing basketball I always found jerseys without it more comfortable than those with it, though, so maybe that subconsciously factored in to me neglecting to include it. I've tried white for the Buck's home uniform, but it looks off with the dark green numbers outlined in lime....however, I think it looks fantastic on their new uniforms with the dark green numbers outlined in cream. I'm too stubborn to change the Hawks' gradient, but my original intent of adding black to free up red/yellow/white color palette for the Rockets puts the Hawks right there next to the Bulls and Blazers with red/black color palettes....adding more yellow may be a very good way to differentiate their color palette without overhauling the rest of the uniform set. Like you, I also prefer the 'Lakers' wordmark on both their home and away uniforms, but for the sake of this project I'll be continuing with city names on away uniforms and team names on home uniforms. Finally, I'm very glad you picked up on the shaping of the Bulls' horns on the shorts - I love the uniqueness of the shorts design they've always worn, so preserving that in some way was certainly a priority....anatomically correct shaped bull horns ended up looking more cartoon-ish than I was comfortable with, and I think the somewhat geometric approach of these works well. Thanks for all of your input....I'll be interested to see your thoughts on the updates as well as future designs!

Love everything you did with the Hornets...except the original color pinstripes. It worked in the 90s, but not so much today. I would go with some combo of light blue, silver, teal and purple (with white replacing teal on the road).

The pinstripe colors definitely didn't age well....thanks for suggesting silver, I think it works very well to balance out the Carolina blue from the left side!

Hornets: much better than the actual new version.

Knicks: I agree; it's about time the jersey read "Knicks" instead of "New York" at home. How about writing "Knicker" above the numbers and "Bockers" below the numbers, a la "North" "Carolina"?

Bulls: Why not try using the official (not sure if NBA official or Adidas official) script? (Page 74 Adidas NBA catalog.)

https://s3.amazonaws.com/adidas-team/SLD_Licensed/NBA/2016/NBA_SP16_AP_INLINE/index.html#?page=74

Thanks for sharing this! I spent quite a while searching for the original 'Chicago' script, and never knew a matching 'Bulls' script existed....I'll have to see if I can recreate these or find high-quality versions somewhere. Also, I'm intrigued by your suggestion to split 'KNICKER' and 'BOCKERS' up a la UNC's 'NORTH' and 'CAROLINA.' I'll have to experiment with it and see how it turns out!

The horns on the Bulls' shorts look pretty bad. Too skinny, too angular.

Everything else so far is solid.

I can see what you mean. They're far from anatomically correct, but the curves on properly shaped bull horns didn't look right at all....this at least allowed for the preservation of their current diamond-shaped panels. I kept the thickness the same as that of the trim on the bottom of the shorts for the sake of consistency, though you may be right about them being too skinny. I'll have to increase their thickness and see how it looks. Thanks for the comments!

The Hornets have dropped their '90s-colored pinstripes in favor of a more cohesive palette, and I think it looks significantly better and appropriate considering the era.

Charlotte Hornets Home Uniform

m27eL0N.jpg

Charlotte Hornets Away Uniform

4WN13qa.jpg

The next team is the Celtics. Their uniforms are too classic for anything drastic, so they've simply received sublimated side panels containing the parquet pattern of the old Boston Garden.

Boston Celtics Home Uniform

znkAk7M.jpg

Boston Celtics Away Uniform

Np2R7J0.jpg

Please feel free to share your thoughts and criticisms!

Like the uniform except the spears down the side. I'd add the cable cars around the back numbers like the San Francisco Warriors used to have. I don't think any Native American themed designs would be allowed by the NBA.

Those are what the Hornets should wear.

For the Bulls you could fill up more space on the shorts by making the stars larger and stacking them on top of each other vertically. I really like the hardwood pattern for Boston (especially the green one), but I sense that there are too many patterns filling side panels.

Acts 16:31 - And they replied: "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved, you and your household."

John 3:16 - "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

John 14:6 - Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father, except through me."

I feel like the parquet has it's place on an alternate uniform, but I think it feels forced on the mains. Just a heads up, I would stray from the gray on the home, Celtics fans as a whole were extremely disappointed with the alternate that was rolled out this year. If you're dead set against a sleeve trim, I would suggest making the stripes going down the sides wider and removing the parquet all together.

I think a St. Patty's day alternate with the same layout as the away, but replacing the green inside the white collar and stripes with gold, as well as rplacing the parquet pattern's color with gold.

Just my $0.02, otherwise, I really appreciate attempting to keep the integrity of the history.

Archived