Concept Thread Think Tank

raysox

I've got a project that I've been undertaking on and off for the past few months (and I actually thought of this idea eight years ago, but never got around to it), and if I can bring it to fruition, it'll be like nothing this board has ever seen.

For the past nine years, I've played an Irish sport called hurling. It is a field sport that dates back to ancient times, and can best be described as a cross between field hockey, soccer, and lacrosse on a large pitch. In Ireland, it is one of the two main sports sanctioned by the Gaelic Athletic Association (the other being Gaelic football), and is played to large crowds at both the intra- and inter-county level. What makes it truly amazing is that these players, especially at the inter-county level are as skilled as any professional athlete in the world, but these are amateurs with day jobs.

See it for yourself HERE

Over the past 10-20 years, the sport has started to take a foothold in the United States. It used to be confined to cities with large Irish ex-pat communities (i.e. New York, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia), but it's sprung up in a lot of cities where most of the players are American-born. In fact, the club I started with in Milwaukee is the largest club in the country, with youth and co-ed intramural leagues, and sanctioned traveling teams for both hurling and camogie (women's hurling) that play against clubs in other cities.

Naturally, this got me thinking. What if hurling truly took off to the point in this country where instead of county-level teams (as there are in Ireland), there are state-level teams here? Currently, I have this project developed to the point where I've created rough sketches of all 50 state teams (also including District of Columbia and Puerto Rico, so 52 total). I have general kit designs, color schemes, and sponsors picked out for all teams, and I have rough logos sketched out for about 1/4 of the teams so far. All kits would be done by the same manufacturer (O'Neills, who does most of the inter-county level kits in Ireland), and their template is extremely flexible due to most of the graphics being sublimated. My goal is to get it to the point where I can do something on a template, but progress has been slow to this point and I don't know if I want to collaborate with somebody quite yet. Thoughts?

QPR%20Sig.png

I thought it might be a neat idea for simply a thread of logo concepts for existing teams/schools that everyone just posted, adding to constantly and randomly, with links on the first page to all posts for a particular school/team.. Similar to some of Ren's vintage logo threads, but with concept logos or logo updates, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey how about doing something challenge and ....... fictional? interested in doing that?

So how about a football (not soccer) league based in DC Comics Map of USA?

4002838-1922527284-tumbl.jpg

LEMME GIVE YA THE LIST

DC Comics Cities (8)

Gotham City, NJ

Metropolis, DE

Fawcett City, WI

Keystone City, KA

Central City, MO

St. Roch, LA

Star City, CA

Coast City, CA

Real Cities: (16)

New York City

Los Angeles

Phoenix

Dallas

Houston

San Francisco

Seattle

Salt Lake City

Detroit

Washington DC

Pittsburgh

Cleveland

Atlanta

Boston

Denver

Chicago

• Like 2

Alamo%2BBowl_sig.png

Liberty Bowl_sig.png

FEAR THE FROG! LET'S GO TCU!!

For what it's worth I've been mildly interested in handing off the NFL's Alternate Universe series for a while now for the sake of seeing it finally get it's due and get finished. I'm intrigued at the thought of seeing what someone else could do with it while following along with the guidelines and ideas that I give them...similar to Lucas handing over the Star Wars franchise :)

• Like 1

98Falcons.png

Did a Canadian soccer league a few years back. Probably my favorite project ever. Might have to revisit that after I get something out I’ve been working on…

(Though they’d definitely be related.)

I’ll have to chime in if I come up with an idea. In the meantime though, consider this pinned. I think it’s a great resource for the subforum.

6fQjS3M.png

I've never done a soccer concept at all on here. I thought if I were to do one, that doing a league for my home state of Georgia would be pretty fun. I might take this on when school starts up again, because I will begin a graphic design class and can use my learned skills to create crests and whatnot.

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

Hey how about doing something challenge and ....... fictional? interested in doing that?

So how about a football (not soccer) league based in DC Comics Map of USA?

4002838-1922527284-tumbl.jpg

LEMME GIVE YA THE LIST

DC Comics Cities (8)

Gotham City, NJ

Metropolis, DE

Fawcett City, WI

Keystone City, KA

Central City, MO

St. Roch, LA

Star City, CA

Coast City, CA

Real Cities: (16)

New York City

Los Angeles

Phoenix

Dallas

Houston

San Francisco

Seattle

Salt Lake City

Detroit

Washington DC

Pittsburgh

Cleveland

Atlanta

Boston

Denver

Chicago

Edit: Nvm.. Figured it out.. Was looking at a typo, but zoomed in on the map to see it better

Sorry if someone's mentioned this already, but I'd really like to see someone redesign the Gibraltar Leagues (which is fun to play in Football Manager, so much so that fans have traditionally supported that mod, which recently became official). Starting with the 2015-16 season, the Gibraltar Premier Division has 10 teams, while the Gibraltar Second Division has 14 (both are playable in that FM mod).

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Just discovered this thread and there are some great ideas here!

One idea I had (just thought of it off the top of my head) is that maybe if there's a "dead series" somewhere and the original poster cannot continue it, maybe someone else could take up the mantle and complete the series with the original owner's permission. The style/template would be similar, but we could see some cool designs in a same league.

• Like 1

Yes. There was a continental hockey league (forget the name) that was designed by Harper K but thought up by another member.

Nah, i thought the designs were solely by Harper K there, but the ideas and backstories were by Jimmy Lethal (Something like that?) and were then posted by him. A collaboration of sorts I guess, but the majority of the praise (at least on this forum) would be going to the designer there.

Don't remeber is McElroy and Alexander posted the Seattle Sea Lions concept on this board or not, but from what I can tell, that's a better example.