NBA Finals Patch on the Back of Jersey

sportsfan0518

This was already posted on the website, but I feel like it should be discussed here. Ever since 1996, a part of being in the NBA Finals was having a patch on the shoulder of the jersey. Whether it was a replica of the Larry O'Brien Trophy, The Finals logo itself, or the classy Finals script logo with the gold ball, it was always cool to see the patch on the jersey. This made it feel like it was June, and the NBA Finals.

hqdefault.jpg625x527.jpg?fit=scale&background=000000game3-benwallace.jpg

dwyane-wade-kevin-durant-nba-finals-2012

Instead, now we have the patch on the back of the jersey.

150605091653-lebron-nba-finals-780x439.j

I don't like this change. Overtime it will tough to recognize which moments are from the Finals, since the patch is not on the front. Even though other sports don't have the patch on the front (The World Series patch is on the sleeve in baseball), it is weird for the NBA to make this change after having the logo on the front for nearly 20 years. I understand that it is for the reason that the NBA patch is on the back of the jersey, but to put the Finals patch on the back doesn't look right in my eyes.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

I think this was a misstep. On the back of the collar, they already have the xY time champion patch. They took a branding aspect away from the teams by replacing the team logo above the name with the NBA logo. But when they interview players, they interview them from the front, not the back and the interview is really the only way you can see the logo clearly... so NOT having the NBA logo/Finals patch on the front seems to be a miscalculation by the marketing department.

The only explanation I can think of for having the patch above the player's name is because the NBA is going to try and really push their superstars even more. Associate the NBA logo with the player, not the team/organization.

I think this was a misstep. On the back of the collar, they already have the xY time champion patch. They took a branding aspect away from the teams by replacing the team logo above the name with the NBA logo. But when they interview players, they interview them from the front, not the back and the interview is really the only way you can see the logo clearly... so NOT having the NBA logo/Finals patch on the front seems to be a miscalculation by the marketing department.

The only explanation I can think of for having the patch above the player's name is because the NBA is going to try and really push their superstars even more. Associate the NBA logo with the player, not the team/organization.

It is a miscalculation by the marketing department. Yet, just like everybody else has said they need to make room for ads in the future. All in all, this is an unfortunate change.

anim_040d06ba-0611-bac4-cd7b-50fc54ad382 

Archived