Montreal Impact Rebrand

OfficialBailey7

So it's been around 2-3 years since I've posted. I began throwing up bad concepts like this one: http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/87467-college-football-concept/?hl=%20college%20%20football, and got discouraged and quit making concepts all together. Now I'm taking another shot at concepts. I've recently became fascinated by soccer and really enjoy looking at badges/kits from around the world. I am not much of an MLS fan, but I am excited at all the improvements being made and the popularity spike. The league rebranded last year, along with a few other teams, as most people know, and it actually is looking more like a football league you would find in Europe. One team I feel could use a rebrand is Montreal, so I made them a completely new badge. Actually this is the first logo I have ever made from scratch. In the past I just made tweaks or recolored logos. I kept the blue/black stripes that they have always had, not a bad look and similar to the stripes on Inter's traditional kit. The 4 stars are also found on the current badge and represent the 4 founding communities of Montreal. The centerpiece of my new badge is the fleur-de-lis to represent the French Heritage in Montreal. "Tous pour Gagner" is their motto, which apparently means something like "Everyone for Victory". Decided to keep it and I'm not too disappointed with how it fits at the bottom of the badge. I'd love to get some C&C on this... uniforms may be in the works. Not going to put any out unless I'm really happy with them. I'm using paint.net right now, not sure if that is really suitable for making good uniforms, but I'll check it out.

badge_zpsqwh4v3j1.png

UnitedStatesofCollegeFootball-5.png

It needs to have the word Impact somewhere in there. If the middle black bar is what's representing the letter I, it's very tough to distinguish and a lot of people won't catch it the first time.

Otherwide, solid concept. Love the primary, like the secondary.

Welcome back! It looks like you've developed well in your time away.

My only thoughts are to make the circle and fleur-de-lis a bit bigger, and to do something else with the stars. In soccer, stars over a crest indicted league championships--and a gold star can sometimes stand for five championships. Good team, but I think 20 championships may be pushing it ;)

rATMcmK.png

There is almost no contrast between black and the dark purple. The stripes look rather blurred, because of the lack of brightness difference. Lighten up purple and it fill be fine.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

There is almost no contrast between black and the dark purple. The stripes look rather blurred, because of the lack of brightness difference. Lighten up purple and it fill be fine.

It's blue, the contrast is fine for me, it may depend on what type and quality of the device u view it on

It's blue, the contrast is fine for me, it may depend on what type and quality of the device u view it on

Looked different on my iPhone. Back at home on my Mac it's a slightly reddish blue or an extremely blueish purple (R 0, G 19, B 127). But the brightness difference between black and that shade of blue is definitely not enough. It's almost impossible to read "TOUS POUR GAGNER". My screen is calibrated. But the logo itself is an upgrade now compared to the their current one.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

I appreciate the cleanliness and the almost retro feel, but I wonder if a team with the name "Impact" needs something that a bit more, well, impactful. I think it's missing a dynamic quality, despite how elegant this is.

I also agree that there needs to be a bit more contrast between the blue and black. I think the royal blue needs to be a bit lighter.

• 2 months later...

I think I like it, although I can't decide if I feel like its an upgrade from their current one or not. Definitely has a bit more of a classic look, and a bit less of a modern feel, so I think its down to preference for some. As others said, I think I would lighten up the blue slightly just because theres not quite enough contrast(not much, just a tiny bit)

Also, I can't read the motto from far away at all. Didn't even see it the first time. It might have to be white if you want to keep it.

I'd also play around with the font a little bit more. If you're going for a classic look, you might as well embrace it, and I feel like the font could help with this. Perhaps something cursive-ish, or just something kinda old school looking. I'd test out and post a few and see what people think.

Overall, I really like the concept and having looked at it for a while now, I personally see it as an upgrade to their current one, or at least on its way to an upgrade anyways. Cheers, can't wait to see another update :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived