Sign in to follow this  
Slater

Randy Gradishar/Denver Broncos replica jersey

The font/nameplate are correct. The thing that threw up red flags for me, though was the sleeve striping. The Broncos only used the thin blue/THICK white/thin blue stripes for a few years at the end of that Wilson produced set before getting Nike-fied in 97.

A quick Google search turned up several images from his hey day.

randy-gradishar-denver-broncos-autograph

Most of them feature the equal B/W/B striping with the thin orange stripe between those.

The font/nameplate are correct.

Actually, the Broncos' NOB wasn't outlined until 1990 or '91, well after Gradishar's playing days were over.

john_elway_1985_10_20.jpg

However, for a fake/replica, it's honestly not THAT bad.

Good call.... never paid that much attention to the NOB outlines. (I was but a lil Bronco fan back then.)

I don't think Gradishar ever wore a Broncos jersey with tackle twill either. The twill came in the 90s.

Based on the stitching of the numbers, it looks like the numbers are the Swingman/Premier/Game style - the white is screened onto the blue. The white digits should have stitches that actually interact with the blue base. EDIT: Correction...it may be two-layer twill after all.

This is a Tom Jackson jersey from the same vendor (and presumably the same manufacturer). Sleeve stripes are different and name letters lack the blue borders:

_57_zps0jh37ls3.jpg

They did switch from blue/orange/white/orange/blue to blue/white/blue at some point. Jackson was probably gone by then and only wore the above. I know Elway wore both. I think the Jackson one looks a little better. Those stripes look closer to correct than the Gradishar ones for the later version.

I cannot speak for font,but relative to fakes, those numbers don't seem very bubbly. I wonder whether the fakers have figured that out.

Randy Gradishar has a strong case for the HOF, so this question depends on whether a minor difference in the sleeve striping would be major problem for a Denver fan to make a purchase. Gradishar played with many Broncos who later wore that style, so that's something to take into consideration. I'm a fan of the legendary baseball player, Roberto Clemente, and own a black circa 1977 jersey. In my opinion, the jersey looks great, and the fact he played with several players who wore that style represents a connection. Clemente did play with Dave Parker in spring training in the early 70s.

Elway actually wore all 3 sets of sleeve stripes from the orange crush uniforms.

80's- Mid 90's:

john-elway.jpg

Mid 90s:

201afbe68a4108f694b439cc70ca6614.jpg

1996:

11-1996-Denver-Broncos-playoff-choke.jpg

After spending a good amount of time Googling those pics.... I've noticed that HOLY COW the Broncos have worn a bunch of different striped socks (and two different sets of pants) with that set over the years. I guess I was just too young to notice.

Makes me miss those uniforms, too :(

Other small Denver tweaks from the "Elway Era". These all went unnoticed when I was younger as well.

For a number of games in '86, Denver appears to have used Champion-style numbers. Notice Elway's 7:

245044_display_image.jpg

Prior to the '93 season, the Broncos released a *new* primary logo -- basically a cleaned up version of the original. Here's the before and after:

CWxQy4O.png

Denver needs to update that logo in a hurry, maybe a hybrid D/Modern Bronco hybrid

broncos-cpt.gif

Other small Denver tweaks from the "Elway Era". These all went unnoticed when I was younger as well.

For a number of games in '86, Denver appears to have used Champion-style numbers. Notice Elway's 7:

245044_display_image.jpg

Prior to the '93 season, the Broncos released a *new* primary logo -- basically a cleaned up version of the original. Here's the before and after:

CWxQy4O.png

For some games in 85 and 86, only Elway wore a Champion jersey. All other players wore regular Russell Athletic jerseys.

http://endzonesportscharities.org/PDFs/Uni_1986.pdf

http://endzonesportscharities.org/PDFs/Uni_1985.pdf

Elway actually wore all 3 sets of sleeve stripes from the orange crush uniforms.

80's- Mid 90's:

john-elway.jpg

Mid 90s:

201afbe68a4108f694b439cc70ca6614.jpg

1996:

11-1996-Denver-Broncos-playoff-choke.jpg

After spending a good amount of time Googling those pics.... I've noticed that HOLY COW the Broncos have worn a bunch of different striped socks (and two different sets of pants) with that set over the years. I guess I was just too young to notice.

Makes me miss those uniforms, too.

Elway wore a five stripe jersey from 83 - 88. The Broncos switched from Russell Athletic to Wilson in 1989, and moved to a three stripe jersey then.

Denver needs to update that logo in a hurry, maybe a hybrid D/Modern Bronco hybrid

broncos-cpt.gif

There was just something cool about the upright horse that the streamlined horse head never captured.

broncos-cpt.gif

There was just something cool about the upright horse that the streamlined horse head never captured.

Absolutely..... and I even like the new logo.

I think this thread should be renamed "Nostalgic Denver Broncos Uniform Thread"

UPDATE: Ordered one of the #57 Tom Jackson jerseys out of curiosity. On the positive side, it appears to be well constructed and is 100% polyester (don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing). Country of origin is the Philippines. On the negative side, the label notes that it's not colorfast so hand washing and hang drying (or low tumble dry) would be recommended. Overall, I'd say it's a decent deal considering the overall quality.