Sign in to follow this  
QThaGAWD

Cavaliers updated logo

Hey as we all know the Cavaliers are in the nba finals, and i cant help but noticed constantly that their primary logo font does not match what they use on their jersey. So i decided to change that and i wanted to know what you guys think of my rough edit of a new logo i made for them.

INFO: the sabre is just a place holder.

i kept it simple because sometimes i tend to make things look too busy and i want to get away from doing that.

Design: a simple forward facing basketball with a "Cavaliers" word mark across the front with and enlarged "C" and "S" on either end. lastly, a sabre through the middle going across from right to left.

C&C apreciated.

cavaliers_zps6awul4xi.png

thanks for looking :)

I think you have a good idea to create consistancy between the logo and uniforms but the CavalierS you put on the font doesnt resemble what is on the jerseys. The jerseys word mark are curved and there isnt that major of a size difference on the wordmarks. The sword might look better if it was vertical rather than horizontal like on the sword C logo and the basketball for some reason reminds me of basketballs used on Clippers concepts. I love the idea to create consistancy and i think this is a good base.

I think you have a good idea to create consistancy between the logo and uniforms but the CavalierS you put on the font doesnt resemble what is on the jerseys. The jerseys word mark are curved and there isnt that major of a size difference on the wordmarks. The sword might look better if it was vertical rather than horizontal like on the sword C logo and the basketball for some reason reminds me of basketballs used on Clippers concepts. I love the idea to create consistancy and i think this is a good base.

the size difference of the C and S were done on purpose and im sure it will look better once its curved like i said this is just a rough edit.

i tried vertical in my sketches before making that logo on my laptop but it just didnt look good to me so horizontal it is.

thank you for your C&C and thank you for viewing my post ill keep working :)

Quick update.

Changes: changed the font to official cavaliers, moved still using place holder sabre but i moved it from side to diagonal.

want C&C on final design or does it need more tweaks?

thanks in advance.

caval_zpsxobm1eea.png

I would take the current sword that's in the current logo and put it on this one

I would take the current sword that's in the current logo and put it on this one

i did mention that the one im using is a place holder, so thanks if this is a compliment to my work :woot:

heres a version with the Cavs current sabre C&C apreciated :)

caval_zps2zm468lc.png

Not a bad start, but its a little too cut and paste. Start by having the CAVALIERS wordmark extend outside the basketball, similar to how it does now. Above it, but much smaller, staying within the basketball, you can have the CLEVELAND wordmark. From there, incorporate the sword logo, possibly starting from behind the wordmark and piercing through it, around the L in CAVALIERS and the second E in CLEVELAND. Obviously, play with stroke thicknesses to give the wordmarks some impact and less rigidity within the logo itself. Make sense?

Not a bad start, but its a little too cut and paste. Start by having the CAVALIERS wordmark extend outside the basketball, similar to how it does now. Above it, but much smaller, staying within the basketball, you can have the CLEVELAND wordmark. From there, incorporate the sword logo, possibly starting from behind the wordmark and piercing through it, around the L in CAVALIERS and the second E in CLEVELAND. Obviously, play with stroke thicknesses to give the wordmarks some impact and less rigidity within the logo itself. Make sense?

what you just described is their current logo and im trying to say away from that. having the letters not extend outside the ball or have the sword piercing was a conscious decision. i do plan to give the letters an outline to make them more visible.

I think the biggest issue is that in your logo the sword is playing only a secondary role while in the Cavs current logo the sword is in the center of attention. It's piercing through the typo while in your logo it's hiding behind a basketball and consequently losing its significance. Even the basketball isn't so easy to recognize as one at first sight because the curved typo is covering the horizontal seam completely.

I agree with the C&C above. This is really coming together. Needs some improvement though. I'd advise you to make the center line on the basketball go upwards along with the wordmark as well.

Somehow incorporate a ball into this midcourt logo and i think you'd have a winner!

cavs_court_2011.jpg

honestly I believe the real logo was fine the way it was, theres nothing wrong with it if you ask me

I think you're on to something here, but for some reason it reminds me of the Sabres script logo.

450322014.gif

I would say go with the type of lettering that is on the court concept LEWJ posted with the larger "C" and "S".

cavs_court_2011.jpg

Have the "C" and the "S" go outside the basketball like you had in your first version. I would definitely put "Cleveland" in smaller print above "Cavaliers" and the thicker sword looks way better too. Also I would maybe try adding gold bordering around the letters.