NBA switching to Nike in 2017

gosioux76

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it out of the question that the Sonics come back ....blah blah blah

sonicjacked!!!!!1

sonicjacked.png

Oh, cool, a meme meant to trivialize the feelings of a fan whose team was hijacked in the first place. Can't wait till the MLB "normalizes relations with Cuba" by relocating the Cubs there.

Not sure what either of your two off-topic posts are in regards to....

Nonetheless, wishful thinking if you've got the NBA returning to Seattle by 2017.

6uXNWAo.png

I'd rather see a miniscule 2-inch Swoosh than the alternate.....

draft_king_james.png

"The alternate"?

What on Earth makes you think it's an either/or? Or that adding the Nike swoosh now makes your vision even the tiniest bit less likely?

Not saying the NBA is 100% saying "no" to ridiculous soccer-style ads on their jerseys, but having Nike pay $2359275359 for a simple Swoosh definitely remedies the need to so do.

6uXNWAo.png

"Need"?

When was the last time a sports league willingly passed up a revenue stream because they were getting enough money from a totally unrelated revenue stream? The notion is absurd.

To this day, obviously, none of the major four sports currently use cluttery ads on their uniforms (outside of the NFL's practice jerseys). They've had decades to do so if they truly wanted. And last time I checked, financially, they still seem to be doing quite well without.

6uXNWAo.png

Ah, but that's not the same thing at all.

The Big Four haven't adopted jersey sponsors yet because the very few times a league has publicly hinted in that direction, the public backlash has been too strong to ride out.

Has nothing to do with manufacturer logos on the jerseys, and it has even less to do with any other stream somehow alleviating "the need" to do it.

Anybody think we'll see the Bulls and/or Hornets wearing the Jordan jumpman logo in place of the swoosh?

With all probability Bulls, Hornets and Wizards.

I doubt the Wizards will get the jumpman, the rest I can see happening though.

Cavs would probably still wear Nike rather than LeBron. IIt'd be weird to have the whole team wear his brand if he's still playing in the league.

As far as the D League, I just hope they go with three or four templates instead of everyone wearing the same template across the league. Same for WNBA.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

We saw this coming, but the NBA today said Nike would outfit the NBA over eight years starting in the 2017-18 season.

LINK

I'm stunned.

Obviously, we knew adidas was out, thanks to their announcement earlier this year. But Nike didn't even bid the last time the contract was up and walked away after making a minimal offer the first time they lost it in the early 2000s. I figured that, even if Nike bid, that Under Armour would come way over the top to get it.

After seeing the numbers, I'm even more surprised that Nike would spend what they spent. I still don't really understand it. They have 90% of the basketball shoe market in the US, according to the article, and that's without having the NBA contract since most of the current players were in elementary school.

We saw this coming, but the NBA today said Nike would outfit the NBA over eight years starting in the 2017-18 season.

LINK

I'm stunned.

Obviously, we knew adidas was out, thanks to their announcement earlier this year. But Nike didn't even bid the last time the contract was up and walked away after making a minimal offer the first time they lost it in the early 2000s. I figured that, even if Nike bid, that Under Armour would come way over the top to get it.

After seeing the numbers, I'm even more surprised that Nike would spend what they spent. I still don't really understand it. They have 90% of the basketball shoe market in the US, according to the article, and that's without having the NBA contract since most of the current players were in elementary school.

Could simply be a defensive play to keep ua from growing share but I agree this is not a deal that they have to do and likely will not be a huge contributor to the bottom line.

draft_king_james.png

"The alternate"?

What on Earth makes you think it's an either/or? Or that adding the Nike swoosh now makes your vision even the tiniest bit less likely?

Not saying the NBA is 100% saying "no" to ridiculous soccer-style ads on their jerseys, but having Nike pay $2359275359 for a simple Swoosh definitely remedies the need to so do.

Jersey ads will definitely be on the table as the owners likely get to pocket that revenue for themselves as opposed to league shared revenue.

draft_king_james.png

"The alternate"?

Jersey ads will definitely be on the table as the owners likely get to pocket that revenue for themselves as opposed to league shared revenue.

There's no way the players union would be OK with that.

Archived