NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Whoa, don't knock the Spengler Cup, I did that once and a guy here got really mad at me.

I watched some of one game between Canada and Sweden in this year's Spengler Cup. It was on a low channel that I can't even name but I know they also show the Chinese arena football league and cricket matches. The Canadian guys looked sad and old and it made me feel sad. 

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

But the hockey is so bad! Who can watch that much zone defense and that little physicality? Any old Soviet innovations in puck-possession hockey have been wiped out by conservative North American coaching.

Unless countries revive national team programs who spend years playing with only that team the hockey will be bad regardless of who goes so at the very least I'd like to see it played by the world's best. I'm only tuning into the Biathlon once every four years I want to watch the best people in the world at cross country skiing AND shooting air rifles. I'd hate to see the second tier because the best biathletes weren't allowed to go because the national biathlon league wouldn't let them out of their contracts. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

The other thing that sucks is Team USA was about to have the best roster we've had since they let NHLers play in the games.

Hahahahaha you actually think Brian Burke would put Auston Matthews on the national team roster aaaaaaaahahahahaha

• Like 2
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Apparently, screwing the entire city of Edmonton just wasn't enough for Daryl Katz.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/greice-santo-daryl-katz-rj-cipriani-canadian-billionaire-1202021527/

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The only thing I had remembered about the Nagano olympics was that I watched the gold medal game in a sportsbar with Brent Gretzky. I like the NHLers playing in the Olympics, but I remember the 1984 and 1988 games more than any NHL olympic games.

15 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Apparently, screwing the entire city of Edmonton just wasn't enough for Daryl Katz.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/greice-santo-daryl-katz-rj-cipriani-canadian-billionaire-1202021527/

I mean, looking at the guy, does it really come as a surprise?IMG_3965.JPG.ab72ed2d897fc81da017aa938d57ec0d.JPG

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

He kind of looks like a middle-aged Gretzky if life had taken different turns. The article uses a more unflattering picture of Katz as some sort of Jewish Bono.

But whatever, everybody's got a price. Maybe she was holding out for that Gulf State money.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

hahahahaha

Santo said in the statement that she was assured by Gelmon that Katz would not proposition her again. However, after 30 minutes of talk about helping her career, Santo said that Katz again proposed paying her for sex. Santo said she again refused, saying “I am not a prostitute,” and left.

However, she continued to maintain the relationship. In a text message soon after the meeting, she wrote, “Hey. Wish we could’ve had dinner together. And spend more time. You are a very sweet and kind man. Thanks so much for your kindness.”

the Oilers don't even GET to be this played in free agency

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 4/5/2017 at 0:47 AM, the admiral said:

The whole deal has started to feel like nothing but a big exercise in validation for Canada, really. Ad agencies and television channels have done a great job pumping up Canada's relationship with hockey as something even beyond America and baseball, as if it's the one single thing they have that can't arguably belong just as much to the Americans or the British or the French. 

I forget just which company ran these ads, but last season, there was a company that ran commercials on Sportsnet that had the slogan "the 5th season", obviously hockey being that "5th" season, and I wanted to shoot myself after hearing those ads multiple times over during games. 

spacer.png

45 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I forget just which company ran these ads, but last season, there was a company that ran commercials on Sportsnet that had the slogan "the 5th season", obviously hockey being that "5th" season, and I wanted to shoot myself after hearing those ads multiple times over during games. 

Scotiabank and yes it was nauseating. Thanks for bringing me back to that dark and terrible place.

7 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

It took me an embarrassingly long time to understand that it didn't mean a player's 5th season of hockey.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

I am currently writing a paper about NHL participation in the Olympics. I don't really need advice or tips about how to write it, but what I really would like is just some discussion generated and to hear what other people think about long term effects (if you think they'll be any) of the NHL not going to the Olympics next year, and possibly the next Winter Olympic year.

While I disagree about the NHL players not participating, I don't think it's as bad as some people are making it out to be. I mean, the USA's greatest hockey moments have come without professionals playing. While it does affect the viewership, in that there will be no superstars (which is probably why most Americans tune in), there still might be an opportunity to "grow the game" with more exciting games. USA has been doing quite well as of late, and for a country like the US, which doesn't have a whole lot of interest in hockey, going with amatuer players and probably a better storyline, could help get more people introduced into the sport, and want to play. 

Those are just some positives... Negatively, 

People would probably stop watching, because they don't care that John Doe is leading the US in scoring and not Patrick Kane. They also probably wouldn't care how well Canada's doing, because their current points leader is Billy Bob, not Sidney Crosby, and the best goalie is Albert Francois not Carey Price... Superstars draw in crazy attendance, so other than the hockey community, not many people are going to tune in... We might miss the next Modano because his parents didn't bother to tune in to Olympic hockey with a bunch of scrubs... 

There's a lot of variables and factors that could have an affect on Hockey in the long run, because of this... What are some of your opinions on this? 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

7 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

I am currently writing a paper about NHL participation in the Olympics. I don't really need advice or tips about how to write it, but what I really would like is just some discussion generated and to hear what other people think about long term effects (if you think they'll be any) of the NHL not going to the Olympics next year, and possibly the next Winter Olympic year.

While I disagree about the NHL players not participating, I don't think it's as bad as some people are making it out to be. I mean, the USA's greatest hockey moments have come without professionals playing. While it does affect the viewership, in that there will be no superstars (which is probably why most Americans tune in), there still might be an opportunity to "grow the game" with more exciting games. USA has been doing quite well as of late, and for a country like the US, which doesn't have a whole lot of interest in hockey, going with amatuer players and probably a better storyline, could help get more people introduced into the sport, and want to play. 

Those are just some positives... Negatively, 

People would probably stop watching, because they don't care that John Doe is leading the US in scoring and not Patrick Kane. They also probably wouldn't care how well Canada's doing, because their current points leader is Billy Bob, not Sidney Crosby, and the best goalie is Albert Francois not Carey Price... Superstars draw in crazy attendance, so other than the hockey community, not many people are going to tune in... We might miss the next Modano because his parents didn't bother to tune in to Olympic hockey with a bunch of scrubs... 

There's a lot of variables and factors that could have an affect on Hockey in the long run, because of this... What are some of your opinions on this? 

Moved this here. We've already had pages of discussion on that topic in this thread.

I really hope the discussion about the NHL wanting back in for 2022 in China is just speculation, and not the NHL's actual business plan.  SOUTH KOREA IS RIGHT F'ING NEXT TO CHINA.  I think some Chinese people might take an interest in the 2018 Winter Games, since 1) It's close by 2) their country gets the Winter Games next 3) the Chinese gov't is trying to get everyone interested in the winter sports ahead of 2022.

On 4/11/2017 at 11:25 PM, the admiral said:

In China, do game misconducts get you a bullet in the back of your head?

Would certainly solve the issues with some of these players in the NHL.

On 4/11/2017 at 9:36 PM, Cosmic said:

I really hope the discussion about the NHL wanting back in for 2022 in China is just speculation, and not the NHL's actual business plan.  SOUTH KOREA IS RIGHT F'ING NEXT TO CHINA.  I think some Chinese people might take an interest in the 2018 Winter Games, since 1) It's close by 2) their country gets the Winter Games next 3) the Chinese gov't is trying to get everyone interested in the winter sports ahead of 2022.

NHL tried the exact same thing with Japan and trying to expand the interest in hockey. Failed miserably. Also, IOC said they wouldn't allow NHL to go to China if they turned down South Korea. Also, you must not know much about China and South Korea or you would know they have some serious historical issues with each other. China will also never be a hockey country no matter what the NHL does, but the NHL is only interested in China because Chinese investors are paying the NHL.

This entire new obsession with China is pretty ridiculous and pointless.

I've spent a few weeks in both China and South Korea.  I absolutely do not see hockey gaining a foothold in China.  I know that there's still some russian influence there and I did see ads for hockey matches, but from talking with Chinese people and making my own observaions, even in the areas that tend to be more western, it's just never going to be a thing.  Interestingly, they seem to have a fondness for European soccer.

Korea is a different story.  At least Seoul (I never made it to Busan, which was the only other city I had planned to see) is extremely western.  Possibly due to the US military influence, or possibly just due to "it's cool" (like in parts of Japan.)  I could definitely see hockey becoming at least a niche sport there (if it's not already.)  It'll never be as big there as it is in North America, but it could become similar (yet still smaller) to soccer in the US - a relatively small but passionate fanbase, at least a portion of which follows the sport not because of the actual sport itself, but more what it represents.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/14/2017 at 8:02 PM, Solaris said:

Also, you must not know much about China and South Korea or you would know they have some serious historical issues with each other.

As someone who lived there, and speaks the language, not really. Most South Koreans are pretty ambivalent towards China. They hate Japan, collectively, way more.

• Like 1

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Yeah, China and S. Korea have been pretty chill since the 90s, when both realised that they had a lot to gain via trade deals. 

And all in all? Chinese-Korean history isn't all that turbulent. Korea, for the longest time, considered itself an ally of Imperial China. Korean as a language evolved from Chinese, and the Korean king who introduced Korean-specific characters for the Korean language was controversial because a lot of Koreans saw it as a spit in the face of the Chinese. Who the Koreans saw as a benevolent older brother. 

There's a history of conflict, yeah, but Korean/Chinese history has, big picture-wise, been mostly ambivalent/friendly. 

It's the Japanese they both have a grudge with, what with the whole "enslave the rest of East Asia" thing Japan had going for forty or so years.

12 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I've spent a few weeks in both China and South Korea.  I absolutely do not see hockey gaining a foothold in China.  I know that there's still some russian influence there and I did see ads for hockey matches, but from talking with Chinese people and making my own observaions, even in the areas that tend to be more western, it's just never going to be a thing.  Interestingly, they seem to have a fondness for European soccer.

Korea is a different story.  At least Seoul (I never made it to Busan, which was the only other city I had planned to see) is extremely western.  Possibly due to the US military influence, or possibly just due to "it's cool" (like in parts of Japan.)  I could definitely see hockey becoming at least a niche sport there (if it's not already.)  It'll never be as big there as it is in North America, but it could become similar (yet still smaller) to soccer in the US - a relatively small but passionate fanbase, at least a portion of which follows the sport not because of the actual sport itself, but more what it represents.

Yes, yes, but never underestimate the NHL's willingness to overlook a small but profitable market to chase a large, uninterested market. 

This league is dumb.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

Yes, yes, but never underestimate the NHL's willingness to overlook a small but profitable market to chase a large, uninterested market. 

This league is dumb.

It all makes perfect sense now.

• Like 2