NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

No! The Jets can't trade the Thrashers' history to the new Quebec team! They're OBLIGATED to honour their illustrious past as the Atlanta Thrashers, damnit! [/whacked out Yahoo Sports rant]

Is that a joke or is there a real article saying that?

There was an article that, more or less, whined about the Jets not making enough of a deal about their time in Atlanta.

What's to make a big deal about? The Thrashers sucked, their owners were pathetic, and their fan support was tepid.

How would you feel if the Anaheim Kings virtually shunned the team's history in Sacramento?

The Thrashers did win a division championship, and a couple players did win some awards that the league hands out annually. It's not like nothing happened. They're a step below what the Kings have been in their time in Sacramento.....

It's not an illustrious history, but it is the franchise's history nonetheless.

But I don't really care if the Jets consider it their history or not.

i'd feel fine. The Anaheim Royals wouldn't be the Sacramento Kings so I would actually prefer they not sully the history of the team in Sac by trying to claim ownership of it the teams time there.

Sounds like Glendale rejected it because they forgot to fill in part of a registration form or something. There were enough signatures, they just threw it out on a technicality. This crap's never gonna end.

I still don't think Greg Jamison has the money (source: Greg Jamison)

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Chełm

One popular humorous tradition from Eastern Europe involved tales of the people of Chełm, a town reputed in these jokes to be inhabited by fools. The jokes were almost always centred on silly solutions to problems. Some of these solutions display "foolish wisdom" (reaching the correct answer by the wrong train of reasoning), while others are simply wrong.

Chełm tales were told by authors like Sholom Aleichem, Isaac Bashevis Singer and Solomon Simon. A typical Chełm story might begin, "It is said that after God made the world, he filled it with people. He sent off an angel with two sacks, one full of wisdom and one full of foolishness. The second sack was of course much heavier. So after a time it started to drag. Soon it got caught on a mountaintop and so all the foolishness spilled out and fell into Chełm." The short animated film Village of Idiots is based upon classic Chełm tales.

Here are a few examples of a Chełm tale:

In Chełm, the shammes used to go around waking everyone up for minyan (communal prayer) in the morning. Every time it snowed, the people would complain that, although the snow was beautiful, they could not see it in its pristine state because by the time they got up in the morning, the shammes had already trekked through the snow. The townspeople decided that they had to find a way to be woken up for minyan without having the shammes making tracks in the snow.

The people of Chełm hit on a solution: they got four volunteers to carry the shammes around on a table when there was fresh snow in the morning. That way, the shammes could make his wake up calls, but he would not leave tracks in the snow.

Or,

The town of Chełm decided to build a new synagogue. So, some strong, able-bodied men were sent to a mountaintop to gather heavy stones for the foundation. The men put the stones on their shoulders and trudged down the mountain to the town below. When they arrived, the town constable yelled, "Foolish men! You should have rolled the stones down the mountain!" The men agreed this was an excellent idea. So they turned around, and with the stones still on their shoulders, trudged back up the mountain, and rolled the stones back down again.

Or,

The sexton of the synagogue decided to install a poor box so that the fortunate might share their wealth with the needy. On shabbes eve, he announced to the congregation that a new opportunity for mitzvoh was available. "But," one member complained, "it will be so easy for the goneffs (thieves) to steal from the box." The sexton thought long and hard that night, and announced the next day that he had found a solution. Pointing upward, he showed, the poor box was now suspended from a chain at the ceiling, high, high, high overhead. "But now how do we put money in the box?"

The next week, the congregation saw the wonderful solution. A lovely circular stairway now ascended to the poor box making it easy to contribute.

Link!

Sounds like Glendale rejected it because they forgot to fill in part of a registration form or something. There were enough signatures, they just threw it out on a technicality. This crap's never gonna end.

Reminds me of when Mayor Quimby and the Laramie cigarette officials dethroned Lisa as "Little Miss Springfield" because Homer wrote "OK" in an area on the registration form that said "Do not write in this space." They're now at the point of finding any and every excuse to keep their pet project alive.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Reminds me of when Mayor Quimby and the Laramie cigarette officials dethroned Lisa as "Little Miss Springfield" because Homer wrote "OK" in an area on the registration form that said "Do not write in this space."

hahahahaha.

Between this and the well-worn "Marge v. the Monorail" analogy, this whole thing is the fourth season of The Simpsons. Where's Gabbo?

Reminds me of when Mayor Quimby and the Laramie cigarette officials dethroned Lisa as "Little Miss Springfield" because Homer wrote "OK" in an area on the registration form that said "Do not write in this space." They're now at the point of finding any and every excuse to keep their pet project alive.

Normally I'd laugh, but reading what the guys running the petition did wrong they sure didn't follow the state mandated rules very well. Why GWI let these old guys with no clue run the petition themselves without making sure they did the required technical stuff right is beyond me. The city may have thrown it out on technicalities, but they were well within their rights to do so. It's not like the things they didn't do were hard to understand. But I'm sure GWI will bring this all up in court... and find some excuse.

You know what's really funny, Glendale very well may get what's coming to it. If the tax referendum passes in November and they do approve the Coyotes deal, Glendale will be on the hook for their deal with Jamison with no way to pay for it. Talk about comeuppance. :grin:

Consider it Icecap-service.

:blink:

Reminds me of when Mayor Quimby and the Laramie cigarette officials dethroned Lisa as "Little Miss Springfield" because Homer wrote "OK" in an area on the registration form that said "Do not write in this space."

hahahahaha.

Between this and the well-worn "Marge v. the Monorail" analogy, this whole thing is the fourth season of The Simpsons. Where's Gabbo?

584-bettman-gary.jpg

Except that there's debate as to how many signatures they needed, and the actual deadline, according to how the laws are laid out regarding this sort of thing. So it's all probably going to the courts. Again.

Though, if the opposition can't even muster up the support of 1,500 voters for an anti-tax referendum deep in the heart of Teabaggerland, :censored: 'em. Let the whole city destroy itself in the most cataclysmic endgame possible while 12,000 a night look on.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

For as much cred as the Goldwater Institute gained around here as being the hammer that would finally pound the Coyotes coffin shut, this sure sounded mishandled. Why have Jones be the face of the opposition? Why not turn in 300 more signatures than what was needed in any case and turn them in 3 days early? As opposed to the opposite?

For the first time in a long time, I feel like momentum has swung in the Coyotes' favor -- for the moment at least -- and GWI doesn't feel like the all-powerful defender of justice it has been made out to be. The city skated this one right past them.

For two old guys sitting outside in 100+ heat working on short notice, I'd say 1,500 is pretty good. If it had been a more coordinated campaign, they could've done much better, but the whole thing seemed hastily assembled.

This whole thing is really starting to impair my enjoyment of the NHL. I might still have distant relatives up in Quebec. It's personal now.