NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Hadn't seen anyone mention this. Glendale has "won." GWI is not going to be suing them over the rejected referendums.

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/news/archives/2012/07/5023_coyotes_referen_1.html

Glendale didn't win (although they are on a bit of a run here). Goldwater's hammer is still the "gift clause" lawsuit. But as others said, the deal has to go through first. And I didn't want to say anything, but I think I caught Jamison rummaging through my couch cushions. It might have been Jamieson, though.

And waltere, isn't this the third KC NHL trial balloon? I thought the Kings have played there at least twice. I'm also of the mindset that if hockey fans can't be bothered to show up for one exhibition a year, they don't really need to be given a team that plays 41 home games. The alternative is OKC and the Hornets. Their support got them a team when otherwise they might not have been considered.

So what you're saying is, we need the mother of all haboobs to hit Glendale, and have the Coyotes hang a shingle at Sprint Center for a season.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Even as the third time, my basic point still stands; competitive games featuring a local team will by their very nature generate way more ticket sales than occasional preseason games between two out of town teams. That's why the OKC Hornets isn't really a valid comparison, they had a full season as the local team, it's apples and oranges.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

Even as the third time, my basic point still stands; competitive games featuring a local team will by their very nature generate way more ticket sales than occasional preseason games between two out of town teams. That's why the OKC Hornets isn't really a valid comparison, they had a full season as the local team, it's apples and oranges.

I don't think that a lack of interest in this pre-season game necessarily means that KC wouldn't support their own team. But it is a golden opportunity to show that there's interest in the sport.

OITGNHLsmall.png
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I feel like IceCap's version in Comic Sans really captures the spirit of the thing.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I don't think that a lack of interest in this pre-season game necessarily means that KC wouldn't support their own team. But it is a golden opportunity to show that there's interest in the sport.

I 100% agree with this. Great attendance at one of these games absolutely helps the market, but poor attendance shouldn't necessarily hurt it.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

I don't fault Kansas City for not rushing to the arena for these games. They're two neutral teams and it's preseason. I turn down preseason tickets every season and I have a rooting interest.

Would Kansas City be a better market than Phoenix? Without a doubt.

PvO6ZWJ.png

There's markets that are starved for hockey, and there's markets that would probably support hockey.

It's the former that would fill the arena for a neutral exhibition, and the latter that wouldn't rush out to buy tickets.

If you goal is to get a team guaranteed to turn a profit, you go with the former. If you're still interested in taking at least some level of risk in order to grow the sport and the fan base, you don't worry about attendance at an exhibition game and give a shot to the latter.

I think Kansas City probably would support a team. But I don't think they'll ever flock to a neutral exhibition.

Kansas City doesn't really represent "growth" to me beyond having a team there where there was not one before. It's not a gamble like Houston, and it's not a supersaturation of confirmed hockey territory like Hartford or Milwaukee. It's just a place that doesn't have a team right now.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

He'd never even consider contracting the Coyotes because that would mean admitting he was wrong.

It wouldn't be the first time. He already let the Thrashers move.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

He'd never even consider contracting the Coyotes because that would mean admitting he was wrong.

He has to know that the day of reckoning is coming for the Coyotes... if he plays the contraction card, at least he can gain something through his embarassment.

He has to know that the day of reckoning is coming for the Coyotes... if he plays the contraction card, at least he can gain something through his embarassment.

He'd never consider contracting them because that just can't be done in modern major-league sports. He'd face all kinds of challenges from the union, which isn't smart considering where they are in their negotiations. He'd also hear it from the other owners, because they have owners ready to step up and buy the team (and pay a hefty relo fee), just not in Crapdale.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

quebec city is dieing for a team with a NHL arena 18,000 seats being ready by sept 2015. i just hope they either get an expansion team or pheonix and not my islanders. how embarassing would it be to the NHL if a NYC market team moves? unfortanletly the NHl at this point cant do anythign to save the islanders, its not the lack of ownership, its the local politics destroying a future here on long island, the same can be said about winnipeg pt1, quebec city, and hartford.

Mets, Jets, Islanders

I could really see Bettman using the contraction of Phoenix as a bargaining chip against the NHLPA, saying "If you don't back down on this and this, we will have no choice but to contract the Coyotes because we can't find an owner for them under these financial circumstances."

From there, the NHLPA will call Bettman's bluff, knowing full well that the NHL will not be able to run a league with 29 teams for very long, and will likely end up expanding to 32 after the contraction.

Bettman ends up folowing through, contracting the Coyotes, and due to them becoming defunct, Glendale will have an empty arena with no leaseholder for the foreseeable future.

If 3-4 years, the NHL will announce expansion, and give one of those teams back to Phoenix, who are now forced to accept a lowball offer on a new lease deal from the team's owner simply because they desperately need the money. The NHL gets to keep their 'large media market'.

^^ Just my predictions.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!