NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Glendale voted to keep the tax increase on themselves to fund the Coyotes. You just can't get rid of them, huh.

Well to fund the city. Whether it funds the Coyotes remains to be seen. Particularly since the mayor is on her way out and the new one doesn't support the Yotes half as much as she did.

Glendale voted to keep the tax increase on themselves to fund the Coyotes. You just can't get rid of them, huh.

Well to fund the city. Whether it funds the Coyotes remains to be seen. Particularly since the mayor is on her way out and the new one doesn't support the Yotes half as much as she did.

Jerry Weiers pretty much dominated the night yes, however he has said that he will work with the Coyotes and work with their budget. As far as Prop 457, without that tax we lose 1/3 of both of our Police Force and Firefighters and face a depression in the city with or without the Coyotes. Yes the Coyotes and the NHL with the $25 Million a year that have screwed the city of Glendale and the city of Glendale screwing themselves in the long run. But the tax will help the budget and the people no matter if there is a tenant at the Jobing.

On the plus side, internet darling Joyce Clark lost her city council seat. The Vast Mexican Conspiracy claims its victim. :(

The way I see it, between the tax increase and the escalating CBA talks, this is over, and not in the good way that involves hockey games being contested in places where water freezes outside and the flags have maple leaves and lily flowers. The Coyotes are about to get a three-pronged subsidy:

1) When the union is broken and salaries are clawed back, the expenses of team ownership will be drastically lowered at the expense of labor

2) Presuming that there are no major changes in the eventual CBA's revenue sharing clauses, the revenue sharing model will consist not of any mathematical functions but simply of Gary Bettman and hand-picked ownership foot soldiers divvying up $200 million a year among poor teams any way they see fit.

3) The city successfully raised taxes for the implicit purpose of giving money to billionaires.

So that's what it takes to make this thing work: money from players, money from owners, and money from taxpayers. Nice deal if you can close it, huh?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Tuesday will be the next coming-to-a-head moment in this sorry saga.

Tuesday is today. The vote is tonight.

If you want to follow the meeting, @smunshi on twitter is covering it for the Arizona Republic.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Looks like the vote is either going to be 4-2 like it was last time, or 3-3 which would kill the project (as a tie is not approval). With the architect of the newest deal having turned against it (the city manager), approval is in no way guaranteed. And if approval doesn't happen, the next council will not continue this travesty sealing the fate of both the Jamison deal and likely the Coyotes... FINALLY!

So while I rarely support teams moving, for once here's hoping we get that 3-3 vote and put this ill advised foray of an ice sport into the desert to bed once and for all.

They're going to approve the subsidy and then we'll be stuck with this stupid team forever.

Not so sure. The swing vote has been wavering, and that was before the city manager came out against his own plan. This whole thing really hinges on one woman and what she decides...

And that assumes of course that the new council doesn't back track in a month's time since technically this vote is being taken by a lame duck council.

Forget it. There's no way it got this far without assurance that it would go their way. I don't know if Jamison will buy the team next Thursday or whatever, because I still don't think he really has the money, but they'll vote yes on this like they always do. And I don't know if the new council can undo this just because they don't like it. It's a crappy situation.

Forget it. There's no way it got this far without assurance that it would go their way. I don't know if Jamison will buy the team next Thursday or whatever, because I still don't think he really has the money, but they'll vote yes on this like they always do. And I don't know if the new council can undo this just because they don't like it. It's a crappy situation.

Why wouldn't they keep going even without assurance? Not like this has cost anything for Jamison (hell he may or may not even have his whole ownership group together yet). And while the council had been supportive in the past, things have changed. The deal is no longer endorsed by the guy who created it, the voters elected a new slate of councilors all who oppose the deal, and on top of that the NHL has proven a league full of fan hating crybabies since the process began in Phoenix.

As for the new council, I'm sure there are ways they can get out of the contract. Not the least of which is bankruptcy, which isn't out of the question with how bad this deal will drain the city.

I don't know. This team had one and a half feet out the door in August 2009 and yet they're still here. Every time it's looked painfully obvious that the team was dead, they've been kept around. I've finally lost all faith that anyone involved in this can make the right thing happen, and resigned myself to the fact that the league and these local yokels are going to make sure the team never moves. Oh well.

In short: you can't fight City Hall

Apparently one of their financial people said they immediately need to cut $12,000,000 from the budget if the team goes, and $20,000,000 if the team stays. This will make their vote for the team staying that much funnier.

Big Bucks Greg is at the meeting, reportedly, amidst a bunch of bused-in Coyotes fans. They wouldn't be here if this weren't settled already, I'm afraid.

Another interesting dialogue:

"I've been asked to ask you if you know anything about hiring current or former City of Glendale employees."

"I don't understand the question."

"I mean that there may have been arrangements to provide employment to current or former city workers."

"What?"

"People who work here. You would give them jobs once you have the team."

"Huh?"

and it went ON like this several more times before he finally said he didn't intend to give jobs to aldermen who voted to give him money. Then they called a break. Hopefully the mayor used it to threaten those aldermen who think they're getting jobs.

Irony: they're filling the break time with a promotional video for parks/rec, hosted by one of the aldermen who's voting to give money to billionaires and in doing so hugely cut parks/rec. Can't make this stuff up, friends.

Glendale's the town in Tom Goes to the Mayor, isn't it?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)