NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Two and a half teams are turning a profit. How does this league still exist?

EDIT: That is to say that only a handful of teams are doing well. And, by my count, 13 are running deficits. Seriously, why aren't we seeing wholesale contraction?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Jesus Christ. The Blues control ALL OF THE REVENUE STREAMS and have still lost almost as much as Nashville.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Two teams?

Operating income is income minus expenses, right? Or what we mortals usually call a profit? So unless there are expenses not accounted for in that chart, then it appears a dozen teams turned a profit last year.

Which, by the way, doesn't make it any less pathetic. Look at all that orange and red, especially the coyotes. OITGDNHL.

So much for the ludicrous fantasy of the NHL getting a "boost" from the NBA lockout. Outside of a select few markets, it's obvious that nobody cares about the NHL. The fans don't, the front offices don't, and the owners don't.

The NBA hasn't technically missed any games yet.

Let's wait until January to see if the NBA lockout has given any sort of boost to the NHL.

The NHLPA is claiming that the $25 million per year in taxpayer money to keep the Coyotes playing hockey in Glendale is thus Hockey-Related Revenue to which the union is entitled. At my house, we call these uh-ohs!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

57% of two years of $25 million equals $28.5 million getting yoinked from a league already losing money on this enterprise. Mais nous avons l'argent...

Heh...a couple weeks ago, I was explaining to a friend of mine about how a 'change of possession' isn't official until you say, "Yoink!". It took her a few minutes to learn that yoinks must be announced and not implied.

I really need to play that Simpsons version of "Scene It?"......

It's true.

No matter how this ends up, at the very least it augurs quite poorly for the hope of amenable labor negotiations ahead. I don't have high hopes for a quick and easy CBA re-up with a shot as big as "hey, you're hiding $28 million from us, we're taking you to arbitration to get it out of you" fired across the bow.

The NHLPA is claiming that the $25 million per year in taxpayer money to keep the Coyotes playing hockey in Glendale is thus Hockey-Related Revenue to which the union is entitled. At my house, we call these uh-ohs!

e240217-1.gif

Two and a half teams are turning a profit. How does this league still exist?

EDIT: That is to say that only a handful of teams are doing well. And, by my count, 13 are running deficits. Seriously, why aren't we seeing wholesale contraction?

I suspect many of these losses are only dramatic on paper. The team itself could be losing money, but the parent company is turning a profit. It's any easy way to hide money from the tax man.

For example, the Florida Panthers are owned by Sunrise Sports and Entertainment. I guarantee arena related revenues from advertising, concerts, expos and graduations stay with the parent company. Meanwhile, the only revenues on the Panthers' books are hockey related. SSE could also be "charging" the Panthers rent, maintenance and service fees for using "their" facility.

Great example of this were the Huizenga owned Marlins. He justified the 1997-98 firesale because the Marlins were "losing" $30 million a year. The team was "losing" this money but only because premium seat revenue and luxury box revenue generated during Marlins games was being put in the revenue column of the stadium's management company, Huizenga Holdings.

Someone earlier mentioned the Blues control all arena revenue, I wouldn't be surprised if this were another great example of this.

The Red Sox and Yankees have been in the "minus" column for years because NESN/YES do not fall under the franchise's umbrella.

I'm not saying the NHL is 100% profitable either.

1997 | 2003

It's quite a shock that the Washington Capitals and San Jose Sharks, 2 of the best teams in the NHL today, are operating at a loss.

What must Mr. Bettman think to these figures.... Honestly he has got to open his eyes soon and see that you can't force a market for hockey in a market that doesn't particularly care for, or know about for that matter, it. He has got to look at markets in North America that do care for hockey, with passion, and seriously consider putting a team there.

If these teams that are losing vast amounts of money every year were located in a so called 'hockey hotbed' then they would be doing better financially, would they not? If there are less teams losing money then surely it benefits the other teams and the rest of the league.

They rest of the league cannot possibly want the NHL to stay in Arizona, not if they are losing vast amounts of money, which is being subsidised by the league and inevitably coming from the teams themselves.

Just move the team up North or to a stronger market down South and be done with it. Why not Houston? Hamilton? Quebec City? Even Portland, Oregon?

I am afraid it hasn't worked in Phoenix or ever will do. Sorry Gary but it's time to pack up and leave, learn from your mistakes and flourish.

Um, this is all kind of remedial. The Maple Leafs control southern Ontario, and there is no interested ownership in Portland or Houston. The only options are to sell to interests in Phoenix that require taxpayer subsidies, which will be contested by the Goldwater Institute and now apparently the NHLPA, or sell to interests in Quebec City, who themselves have subsidies for their arena construction but there's nothing left to fight there. That's where we are now. One or the other, as best I can tell. No Kansas City, no Tacoma.

Um, this is all kind of remedial. The Maple Leafs control southern Ontario, and there is no interested ownership in Portland or Houston. The only options are to sell to interests in Phoenix that require taxpayer subsidies, which will be contested by the Goldwater Institute and now apparently the NHLPA, or sell to interests in Quebec City, who themselves have subsidies for their arena construction but there's nothing left to fight there. That's where we are now. One or the other, as best I can tell. No Kansas City, no Tacoma.

Yeah I understand that. But correct me if I'm wrong, Toronto regularly sell out Air Canada Centre, another team in GTA/Southern Ontario could possibly give the fans another team to cheer for, instead of waiting for the most demanded tickets in the NHL. There is obviously market for another team in that region and it could be possible, maybe a different potential owner and not Jim Balsillie, because I think all bridges were burned last time round. Quebec City looks like, from your summary, the top contender then....

Toronto regularly sell out Air Canada Centre, another team in GTA/Southern Ontario could possibly give the fans another team to cheer for, instead of waiting for the most demanded tickets in the NHL. There is obviously market for another team in that region

I don't think that follows at all.

There is great demand for Maple Leafs tickets. That doesn't necessarily mean that any other team in the area would be able to capitalize on the unmet demand.

Toronto regularly sell out Air Canada Centre, another team in GTA/Southern Ontario could possibly give the fans another team to cheer for, instead of waiting for the most demanded tickets in the NHL.

Regardless of how much sense there is in putting another team in that market, the Leafs just won't have it.

And evidently being in a traditional hockey market still doesn't necessarily make a team safe from posting losses. The Senators and Penguins for example were bailed out of bankruptcy a while back, and even Minnesota have operated at a loss occasionally. And yes, the Sharks and Caps are good teams and are both very popular, but for some reason have been posting losses anyway.

A team moving to Quebec City is or has been considered as a possibility, but there isn't an arena there yet - or at least, not one that meets the NHL's standards. So until that arena gets built and a team relocates there, no NHL team for Quebec.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017