NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Home Game 1: Coyotes vs Blackhawks - Attendance: 17,363 (Standing Room Only)

Home Game 2: Coyotes vs Blue Jackets - Attendance: 8,355

Home Game 3: The Kings, defending Stanley Cup Champs and Phoenix's playoff ousters, come into town on a Saturday night. Currently on Stubhub, 563 tickets available (only 9 of which are under $30). On TicketExchange, 234 tickets available (5 tickets under $30). So I guess it's looking up for Saturday? Maybe?

Also BucFan, if you for some reason can't find a cheaper game on StubHub, check out the student deal. Likely to get some lower bowl (hell maybe even glass if you're lucky) seats with this:

Once again, the Coyotes will be offering Student Rush nights for all Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night games this season (10 in total). Students can line up one hour prior to the puck drop to purchase the best available ticket for just $25. This offer applies only to active Students with identification.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

I went to bed when the Jackets went down 2-1, but yeah you could tell there was a concerted effort not to show the crowd. The only time you could really see how empty it was was if the puck went into one of the near corners and the camera guy got a little too much headroom with his shot.

Every time they came back from a commercial or needed to show sponsors or something they used shots of the westgate mall (also empty) or some fountain where normally they'd use an overhead shot of the ice and crowd.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Plenty of tickets under $10 on StubHub for Monday's tilt with Nashville, though. Should be another 4-digit evening.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If there were 8,300 bodies in that building, I weigh 400 pounds.

MOD EDIT? After last nights game I will have to agree with you. No way in hell there were 8,300 in attendance last night.

Edited by Brian in Boston
There's no need to engage in personal attacks on other members of the community while making your point.

8,355 was the announced attendance? Wow for the second game of the season that's pretty pitiful. Even for the Coyotes. Really showing Jamison he should complete that deal aren't they.

And that's the announced attendance, always the rosiest of pictures.

6 days...

If the Blackhawks get to be the nWo, I'm in.

They're part of the Original 6, so they're more like the Four Horsemen of Hockey :P

Shouldn't the Habs or the Leafs be the Four Horsemen since they were Original Four?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

6 days...

Even with this new city council coming in which supposedly will pull the subsidies, I don't think anybody really expects it to happen. We have been ready for these clowns to pack into a Volkwagen and ride off to Winnipeg and now Quebec City for four years now. Yet here they are. Something always comes up. I fully expect Bettman will find pictures of multiple city council members engaging in lude acts with farm animals, keeping this whole thing going. I won't believe the Coyotes are gone until I see a sweaty Bettman give an angry, condescending speech pointing fingers at the people of Quebec and threatening to move the team if they can't sell out the next four-hundred home games in two weeks.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I knew it was bad last year when the Wings tickets were normally priced — they used to double them for us, Chicago, San Jose, and a couple other teams that travel well (and also account for a majority of the transplanted population's allegiances). But 8k in attendance for game #2 is pretty pathetic.

That being said, simple logic explains the drop off from game one: it was a Wednesday night in PHX. Anyone who has lived here knows what it's like to leave work early and sit on I10 for an hour or two and get to the game halfway through the first. It sucks. Glad I like 10 minutes away for the few times I am there every season. AWA (now US Airways Center) was at least centrally located. If you live in the East Valley, it's easily 100 miles round trip and a couple hours in traffic. Not worth it to a lot of people here.

I still maintain that the only reason this is even an issue is because they moved the team to BFE. They had decent attendance when they were downtown (though the seating at AWA was pretty bad). My point illustrated:

263vbmb.png

I knew it was bad last year when the Wings tickets were normally priced — they used to double them for us, Chicago, San Jose, and a couple other teams that travel well (and also account for a majority of the transplanted population's allegiances). But 8k in attendance for game #2 is pretty pathetic.

That being said, simple logic explains the drop off from game one: it was a Wednesday night in PHX. Anyone who has lived here knows what it's like to leave work early and sit on I10 for an hour or two and get to the game halfway through the first. It sucks. Glad I like 10 minutes away for the few times I am there every season. AWA (now US Airways Center) was at least centrally located. If you live in the East Valley, it's easily 100 miles round trip and a couple hours in traffic. Not worth it to a lot of people here.

I still maintain that the only reason this is even an issue is because they moved the team to BFE. They had decent attendance when they were downtown (though the seating at AWA was pretty bad). My point illustrated:

263vbmb.png

Couldn't have said it better myself. I live in the East Valley and work Downtown...I'll make the journey on a Fri/Sat/Sun, but weekday games are almost impossible to get to on time given traffic.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

263vbmb.png

Explain why, in the Coyotes' first season at now Jobing.com Arena, their attendance rose roughly 7% from their final America West Arena season?

18 miles from Downtown Phoenix to the Jobber.

1) That's hardly boofoo

2) Phoenix traffic doesn't suck as hard as people claim it does (I've reported it)

3) People drove farther in worse weather to a sketchier area to see the Bulls at the United Center during the entire Tim-Floydastrophe

4) If there are not enough people willing to drive 15-30 miles to see hockey on a weeknight to even half-fill your arena for your division-champion, conference-final-reaching team, your franchise is a lost damn cause

5) If "people won't come here on weeknights" is your built-in excuse, consider the ECHL instead.

• Like 2

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

2) Phoenix traffic doesn't suck as hard as people claim it does (I've reported it)

Oh, you gotta love radio traffic, don't you. "Backed up for miles on the Kennedy," says the man in a windowless office in Cincinnati.

Still waiting for convenient arenas in large cities. Come on!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Oh, you gotta love radio traffic, don't you. "Backed up for miles on the Kennedy," says the man in a windowless office in Cincinnati.

I'M RIGHT HERE DAMMIT (brb there's a crash on 35W)