NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

I can't wait for Quebec City to join the Pacific Division.

I feel like this would be the only way we'd see a minor re-alignment. That Quebec and Winnipeg would swap divisions no questions asked to atleast make it a little more reasonable.

untitled-6.jpg

No MAJOR realignment would happen until the poorly-planned and even more poorly executed expansion takes place. That way they can go with Four divisions of 8, and knowing the NHL, they can work the playoffs so that everybody gets a prize.

Of course, they'd also be dumb enough to go with 8 divisions of four, meaning that the teams who feel bad about not getting a banner at the end of the year can increase their odds about hanging their laundry up in the rafters.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

No MAJOR realignment would happen until the poorly-planned and even more poorly executed expansion takes place. That way they can go with Four divisions of 8, and knowing the NHL, they can work the playoffs so that everybody gets a prize.

What's that you say? Divisional playoffs with 6 teams advancing to the playoffs with seeds 3-6 having a best of 5 first round?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

that would make too nuch sense for the NHL to rig the Leafs making an annual playoff appearance.

I'm thinking 1-8 divisionally, you know, to capitalize on those barn burning phoenix playoff runs that whip Glendale and parts of New Mexico into a froth.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

We can have a

East Canadian Division

Mon, Que, Ott, Tor

A Turnpike Division

NJ, NYI, NYR, Phi

Northeast

Bos, Buf, Pit, CBJ

NASCAR

Car, Fla, TB, Was

Cental

Chi, Det, Stl, Min

West Canada

Cgy, Wpg, Van, Edm

Country Western

Col, Dal, Nsh, Phx

Pacific

LA, Sea, SJ, Ana

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I actually think 8 divisions of 4 isn't so bad. It works for the almighty NFL.

The playoff system then ought to be the 4 division winners and 4 wild cards. That may or may not be the same as the top 8.

Eight divisions of four just seems like too much subdivision (CONFORM OR BE CAST OUT). Hockey is about rivalries, and there are usually several going on at a given time, easpecially out east. You can't break up the New York/Pennsylvania teams, which Washington wants to get back in on as well. And a Blackhawks/Blues/Predators/Beej division just feels so silly. I like four divisions of eight in theory, but not the way they tried it last year. Maybe changing the footprint a little bit will make it work better than the original proposal.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I, for one, hate the idea of Winnipeg being lumped in with two teams in the Mountain zone and one on the coast just because WESTERN CANADA. If people bitched about the southwest being too spread out, this is just as bad.

Winnipeg has much more in common with Minneapolis or Chicago than it does with Calgary or Vancouver (it is sort of a kindred spirit with Edmonton, though, in that it's cold and often acts too big for its britches. Thoughtful realignment needs to take place, not just HURP WINNEPEGS IN THE WEST, SCREW THE TRAVELLIN

Welcome to DrunjFlix

EAST

Northeast

Montreal

Toronto

Ottawa

Buffalo

Boston

Quebec

Pittsburgh

Atlantic

New York

New York

New Jersey

Philadelphia

Washington

Carolina

Florida

Tampa Bay

WEST

Central

Detroit

Columbus

Nashville

Chicago

St. Louis

Winnipeg

Dallas

Minnesota

Pacific

LA

Anaheim

San Jose

Edmonton

Calgary

Vancouver

Colorado

Division winners + 6 best teams per conference make playoffs. Done.

playoffs. Done.

sig.png

Glendale mayor just went on the radio. He's willing to keep the Coyotes in Glendale, "but not on the backs of the taxpayers" and he also thinks it'll take a miracle to keep them in Glendale. He's also not going to entertain the current lease deal with anyone beyond tonight, he flat out said it was a bad deal. Says the team needs to support itself, not the city.

I like this guy.

We can have a

East Canadian Division

Mon, Que, Ott, Tor

A Turnpike Division

NJ, NYI, NYR, Phi

Northeast

Bos, Buf, Pit, CBJ

NASCAR

Car, Fla, TB, Was

Cental

Chi, Det, Stl, Min

West Canada

Cgy, Wpg, Van, Edm

Country Western

Col, Dal, Nsh, Phx

Pacific

LA, Sea, SJ, Ana

This reminds me of back in 2002 when the NFL realigned, some columnist on some site recommended that the NFL realign based on team names

It went more or less like this:

Birds division: Eagles, Falcons, Ravens, Cardinals

Cats: Lions, Panthers, Bengals, Jaguars

Barnyard animals: Rams, Colts, Chargers, Broncos

Historical: Chiefs, Redskins, Patriots, Cowboys

Mythological: Giants, Titans, Vikings, Saints (I realize Vikings and Saints are/were real)

Industrial: Steelers, Jets, Packers, 49ers

Aquatic: Bucanneers, Raiders, Dolphins, Seahawks

Leftover: Browns, Bills, Bears, Texans

sig.png

After nearly 4 years, I've learned better than to say "Well, that's it", but this seems to move the needle in the right direction (as far away from Glendale as possible).

Why haven't we had a Yotes-o-Meter this whole time?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Glad to see there might just be a little more progress with this saga at long last.

I know I'm talking hypothetical here, but what would happen (now the 'sale' of the team has fallen through), if the owners of Jobbing just locked the team out, would the league require them to continue to play at some hastily arranged venue or do they just cease to compete until the situation is resolved (ie. move to Quebec *cough*) ?

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

I know I'm talking hypothetical here, but what would happen (now the 'sale' of the team has fallen through), if the owners of Jobbing just locked the team out, would the league require them to continue to play at some hastily arranged venue or do they just cease to compete until the situation is resolved (ie. move to Quebec *cough*) ?

The NHL still controls the lease for the building, which they renew on a year-to-year basis. That wouldn't happen.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫