NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

They're gonna have egg (cream) on their faces when the team plays well this year and the next two and people go to the Nassau Coliseum again. It's already getting better!

Fans showing up doesn't change the fact that the team needed a new rink five years ago. I don't think the Islanders wanted to move to Brooklyn, but what else where they going to do at this point? They needed to get out of the Nassau Coliseum, and they couldn't get a new arena lined up on Long Island.

While the venue will leave much to be desired, I actually think this is an inspired solution for the Isles.

They weren't getting a new arena in Nassau, and this keeps the team close to their existing fanbase while giving them real access to the huge NYC-proper market. They get to grow, perhaps exponentially, without leaving anyone behind.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/01/add-another-city-to-the-coyotes-relocation-rumormill-portland-oregon/

Apparently the guy who owns the Portland Winter Hawks of the WHL may be interested in the Coyotes. Gotta say, Portland would make a whole lot more sense than Phoenix, and possibly more than Seattle, too. In Seattle, the NHL would definitely be #4, maybe even #5 behind MLS. In Portland, the worst they could be is #3, and the market is still a decent size.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

I've seen little evidence that you can successfully double up on winter sports in a small market. Even Denver gets pretty strained on one side or the other; the Avs are certainly feeling it now.

This shouldn't even have to be an issue. There is precisely one dot on the map that can take on an NHL team right now and provide a guaranteed financial windfall to the league.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, but that would mean tacitly admitting that the southern strategy wasn't perfect and brilliant. The NHL might suffer a moment or two of crow.

It sure seems they'd rather say they're right and lose money hand over fist than admit a mistake and make money. Great businessman, those guys.

I've seen little evidence that you can successfully double up on winter sports in a small market. Even Denver gets pretty strained on one side or the other; the Avs are certainly feeling it now.

This shouldn't even have to be an issue. There is precisely one dot on the map that can take on an NHL team right now and provide a guaranteed financial windfall to the league.

Two. Another team in Ontario could (Markham or Hamilton take your pick) do the same.

Now actually getting that team in place with all the Maple Leaf issues is another thing. If it happens though that would also be a guaranteed windfall.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

In Seattle, the NHL would definitely be #4, maybe even #5 behind MLS.

They'd definitely trail the Sounders in popularity. The city's crazy for that team.

I think this answers why an expansion team's value would be much higher in the two Canadian cities. Seattle is desperate to land an NBA team, as evidenced by Hansen's willingness to overpay for the Kings. They could take or leave the NHL, which has had designs on Seattle for the Coyotes for years now, as mentioned/rumored in these threads.

I think the winter sports double, outside of the biggest cities, only works if both teams are owned by the same entity in one building. Can't see the Portland Pioneers doing well as Paul Allen's tenant, but hopefully the NHL gets a presence in the Pacific Northwest soon.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

You can't make America West hockey-friendly. The seating bowl is too small. That was as good as it got.

Which frankly was still better than what they've got now. I'm starting to wonder if that's not the only way to save NHL hockey in Phoenix, send them back downtown. If the Islanders can play at Barclay's Center there's no reason the Coyotes can't do the same. Particularly when it would solve one of the franchise's worst problems with the location of Glendale.

Don't have me re-hash the reasons why the owner of an arena wouldn't be so interested in a hockey team (especially when they already house a basketball team).

Please do actually. I'd be interested why the owner of the US Airways Arena (the city of Phoenix) wouldn't want another tenant in their venue.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/81108-phoenix-coyotes-drain-circling-thread/page__st__760#entry1766499

Had an unexpected crossing of paths with George Fallar on Twitter last night.

On Facebook, #Coyotes fans are jacked for Raffi Torres' return. Not so much an indictment of Yotes fans, as it is of a-holes on Facebook.
@HockeyBrunch You know it's mostly because Hawk whiners are so easily annoyed, right? Time to get over it.
.@gfallar Hey, how's getting a city you don't live in to bankrupt itself for your continued amusement working out? #Coyotes #GlendaleFirst?

No response from him after that.

• Like 4
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Oh, crap, now you've done it. Now his entire goon squad is probably going to come here. It's the same five or six yokels who harassed the old library guy and hyped up Greg Jamison at the council meeting.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I hope so. That would be like a zombie movie where the slow, shambling version of the undead attacked by proceeding single-file in a straight line. Set 'em up, knock 'em down.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Parise and Suter come to town and give Glendale a huge attendance bump.

EDIT: Having an interesting chat on Twitter with a Coyotes season ticket holder. He says there are around 4,000 season ticket holders (remember those stories about the spike in sales once they made the playoffs?), and that for many fans, they're tired of the perpetual chain-yanking and have given up on going until the mess gets settled, one way or another. Sounds like a great sales pitch for Greg Jamison to find investors!