NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

They're starting work on an 18,000-seat arena that should be open by 2015. They'd have to play three years at a half-assedly renovated Colisee in the meantime. Also, Quebecor, the prospective owner for a new QC team, is supposed to be establishing a new TVA sports channel that would be carried in the entire province. So the pieces are coming together, it's just a matter of whether the Phoenix thing will get ugly enough that the league stops messing around with Reinsdorf, Goldwater objecting to Reinsdorf, and the union objecting to everything, and just decides to cash out to Quebecor.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

They're starting work on an 18,000-seat arena that should be open by 2015. They'd have to play three years at a half-assedly renovated Colisee in the meantime. Also, Quebecor, the prospective owner for a new QC team, is supposed to be establishing a new TVA sports channel that would be carried in the entire province. So the pieces are coming together, it's just a matter of whether the Phoenix thing will get ugly enough that the league stops messing around with Reinsdorf, Goldwater objecting to Reinsdorf, and the union objecting to everything, and just decides to cash out to Quebecor.

I'm sure I saw a post on here about what percentage of the $400 million Quebecor are willing to offer, something about between $100-200 million from Quebecor, depending on the arena's use. So my theory is the people of Quebec City and the rest of the province don't want to pay taxes for a $400 million arena, if they're paying it all on there own. If QC can secure an NHL team before say 2013, then Quebecor could pay a substantial amount of that $400 million (up to 50%), making the average Quebecois taxpayer happy and hockey fans extremely happy knowing they have a team back.

If they do get a team sooner than 2015 then it could be a possibility playing in the Colisee Pepsi, or whatever its called these days, for a season or 2 until they move into their new arena. If QC get a team before then it could concrete the planned arena and risk it falling through.

Or they throw the Stars or Blues to Quebecor to keep the the People's Hockey Club of Glendale around a while longer because why not at this point? What's a few million between friends and tax payers, right Gary?

Toronto regularly sell out Air Canada Centre, another team in GTA/Southern Ontario could possibly give the fans another team to cheer for, instead of waiting for the most demanded tickets in the NHL. There is obviously market for another team in that region

I don't think that follows at all.

There is great demand for Maple Leafs tickets. That doesn't necessarily mean that any other team in the area would be able to capitalize on the unmet demand.

Toronto Legacy should be breaking ground on that 30,000-seat indoor arena any day now.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Or they throw the Stars or Blues to Quebecor to keep the the People's Hockey Club of Glendale around a while longer because why not at this point? What's a few million between friends and tax payers, right Gary?

A million here and a million there, pretty soon we'll be talking about real money.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Just found this: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=378347

Basically the NHL are giving 2 owners (one being reins died) till about early 2012, then if nothing comes about by then, then I suppose the NHL will put the Coyotes on the open market....

If the TML won't allow a team about 50 miles away in Hamilton, why would they allow a new team within the same city. Especially if that said team is planning to build a 30,000 seat arena, just a pipe dream for some.

I mean reinsdorf not reins died.

Dam you iPhone spell checker....

Basically the NHL are giving 2 owners (one being reins died) till about early 2012,

There have probably been at least six "final and ultimate" deadlines to secure ownership since this whole debacle started. And yet, here we sit. If the NHL doesn't get their owner by early '12, they'll set a new deadline for, say, June of '12. This is known in American slang as "kicking the can down the road."

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm sure I saw a post on here about what percentage of the $400 million Quebecor are willing to offer, something about between $100-200 million from Quebecor, depending on the arena's use. So my theory is the people of Quebec City and the rest of the province don't want to pay taxes for a $400 million arena, if they're paying it all on there own. If QC can secure an NHL team before say 2013, then Quebecor could pay a substantial amount of that $400 million (up to 50%), making the average Quebecois taxpayer happy and hockey fans extremely happy knowing they have a team back.

If they do get a team sooner than 2015 then it could be a possibility playing in the Colisee Pepsi, or whatever its called these days, for a season or 2 until they move into their new arena. If QC get a team before then it could concrete the planned arena and risk it falling through.

Quebecor isn't paying anything out of the $400 million the arena will cost. The provincial government will pay $200 million, the city will pay the rest, even if the bill comes up to more than $400 million.

Quebecor will pay upfront for naming rights of the arena for the next 25 years: $30-some million if they don't have an NHL team when the arena opens, $63 million if there's an NHL team. They :censored:ed both municipal and provincial governments by having them both provide cash for an arena that may or may not be used for a hockey team. At least, if they do get an NHL team, they have agreed to keep it here for the next 25 years and would pay hefty charges if they decided to move the team.

Basically, while the average fan is happy, everyone in the province will be footing the bill for the new arena, which is simply nonsense. Add to this that the Bell Centre cost $270 million to build, all privately funded (which would come to $364 million in 2011 dollars). I just don't see how an arena smaller than the Bell Centre would cost $400 million, unless they put gold plated :censored:holes.

TVA Sports is already on the air, and this begins the "sports cold war" between Bell and Videotron (Quebecor's cable TV company): Bell doesn't agree to carry TVA Sports, therefore Videotron refuses to carry RDS2 (french equivalent of TSN2).

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Sorry I must have read it wrong then about how much Quebecor was paying.

Yeah I don't understand how it can cost nearly $40 million dollars more than the Bell Centre, and it holds 3,000 less. It's gonna be a real ball ache for QC to pay taxes on a state of the art arena, that's best action will be junior hockey and community events!

Basically the NHL are giving 2 owners (one being reins died) till about early 2012,

There have probably been at least six "final and ultimate" deadlines to secure ownership since this whole debacle started. And yet, here we sit. If the NHL doesn't get their owner by early '12, they'll set a new deadline for, say, June of '12. This is known in American slang as "kicking the can down the road."

So basically we could be here till the new Quebec City Arena is built before the NHL finally gives in and works out that nobody wants the Coyotes and that they have to move on....

There have probably been at least six "final and ultimate" deadlines to secure ownership since this whole debacle started. And yet, here we sit. If the NHL doesn't get their owner by early '12, they'll set a new deadline for, say, June of '12. This is known in American slang as "kicking the can down the road." raising the debt ceiling.

And everyone can meet up at the Jimmy Buffett restaurant after the game!

Westgate is a nice area to go to if you are wanting to get away on a Saturday night, of course there is Tempe/Mill and Downtown Phoenix, but it is a good place to go to. Not defending the team, but the area is a booming place on the weekends.

So basically we could be here till the new Quebec City Arena is built before the NHL finally gives in and works out that nobody wants the Coyotes and that they have to move on....

There used to be a time when I believed there would be a critical point reached, wherein the league would have no choice but to release the Coyotes from Glendale. That time has long since passed.

And everyone can meet up at the Jimmy Buffett restaurant after the game!

Westgate is a nice area to go to if you are wanting to get away on a Saturday night, of course there is Tempe/Mill and Downtown Phoenix, but it is a good place to go to. Not defending the team, but the area is a booming place on the weekends.

My issue with it remains that it's what, 40 miles from downtown? Hilariously underserved by public transportation? It's a Party Zone in the middle of nowhere, and it encourages people who go there to drive home pissed to the gills. It's a strip mall and an enabler all in one.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Not enough to keep the mall out of bankruptcy, though.

westgatecitycenter01.jpg

This has such a weird science fiction feel to it. I feel like the whole thing is just a microcosm of the recession. Just a ziggurat of terrible ideas contained herein.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫