NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Jamison? Yesterday's news. Now we're on Savior No. 5, some Calgary oil baron who was outbid for the Stars. This guy is the real deal this time.

Oh you mean the one who has no ties to Phoenix whatsoever... yeah that'll work well.

The closest we've had to Phoenix ties with anyone is Jerry Reinsdorf, whose team plays at a disgustingly overbuilt spring training facility that's bankrupting Glendale just as much as anything, just more quietly, which is ironic because baseball in general should get ten times the attention that hockey does. But yeah, besides him we've had people from Saskatoon, Chicago, and the Bay Area all fail. Why not add Calgary? They've got coming up short in hockey down to a science up there.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Sounds pretty fracking brilliant to me.

• Like 3
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Clearly, the Jamison thing is at least a small black eye for the NHL. The question is, do you think the league is pissed at him for lying about his finances, bumbling for months, and not being able to raise a cent to save the deal they brokered, or do you think the league was fully aware he was a clown and was just using him to buy more time?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I don't know and we'll probably never know. The NHL is basically the Cosa Nostra with worse television ratings. All I do know is that when you're the appointed savior who not only failed to save, but then skipped out on an interview with what's apparently the only mainstream media outlet that hypes up the Coyotes so you can go play golf, you've gone full IDGAF, as illustrated below:

BRODYQUEST_1.gif

Clearly, the Jamison thing is at least a small black eye for the NHL. The question is, do you think the league is pissed at him for lying about his finances, bumbling for months, and not being able to raise a cent to save the deal they brokered, or do you think the league was fully aware he was a clown and was just using him to buy more time?

Honestly I think they knew he couldn't buy the team. They were just hoping the gravy train from Glendale would continue and Jamison was a means to stretch the process out. Well the gravy train's done. So....great job Commissioner.

Alright. Next question is, did they want to keep the gravy train rolling in hopes they would eventually find a patsy to buy the team with heavy subsidies, or are they just collecting welfare and biding their time while the QC arena is built and the Seattle basketball situation shakes down?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think they figured he could do it being connected as Jamison was and is, but I also think they knew he didn't have the cash himself and picked him despite that because of his hockey experience figuring that would be a draw to potential investors. Obviously it wasn't.

Alright. Next question is, did they want to keep the gravy train rolling in hopes they would eventually find a patsy to buy the team with heavy subsidies, or are they just collecting welfare and biding their time while the QC arena is built and the Seattle basketball situation shakes down?

Yes. To both. They're not going to box themselves in. Both are options they were pursuing. Obviously the former's ship seems to have sailed and the latter hasn't completely shaken out (ie: Seattle isn't ready yet and may not be ready for a long time thanks to Sacramento). But there is still Quebec who is ready to go now and possibly Markham.

• Like 1

Yes. To both. They're not going to box themselves in. Both are options they were pursuing. Obviously the former's ship seems to have sailed and the latter hasn't completely shaken out (ie: Seattle isn't ready yet and may not be ready for a long time thanks to Sacramento). But there is still Quebec who is ready to go now and possibly Markham.

Markham is ready to build, Quebec is building and has an arena that could serve as a part time home. Lets move the team already!

untitled-6.jpg

I think they figured he could do it being connected as Jamison was and is, but I also think they knew he didn't have the cash himself and picked him despite that because of his hockey experience figuring that would be a draw to potential investors. Obviously it wasn't.

He was also trying to use a government program that gives out green cards in exchange for investing in American businesses. Didn't work, obviously, which is good, because we would've had the Yakuza back--or, considering he was said to be looking to the Middle East, something much worse--in the league.

Phoenix Al Qaeotes?

• Like 5

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I had mentioned before how the camera crews went out of their way never to show the empty seats. Not CSN Chicago! Not only did they show a whole montage of empty sections, but Pat Foley went on a long rant about the situation. He mentioned that Jamison failed to cash in on a $15MM/year subsidy (and yes, he said subsidy, not Arena Management Fee) from the "town of Glendale [sic]," and the new council made it known that that subsidy was off the table. It's strange how time and time again we keep hearing about ownership changes and yet it never happens. We were told to remember that the NHL still owns the Coyotes, and "you have to think that there are owners who are tired of paying for this team." I wonder if one of the owners who is tired of paying for this team is also an owner who is tired of paying for Rostislav Olesz, because damn.

This may be the night the Coyotes finally died. That was the crack in the façade. It's out there now. And in the context of that game, Christ, was it ever glorious.

This may be the night the Coyotes finally died. That was the crack in the façade. It's out there now. And in the context of that game, Christ, was it ever glorious.

How bad was it, because the team is claiming 15,096 were in attendance. If it's as bad as you claim then they've obviously moved into bull :censored: attendance reporting.

And I agree. There'd been something like a pact among teams not to show the dire crowd situation in Phoenix, but if Chicago is breaking ranks maybe it's over. There's no hiding the terrible situation anymore. Not after a guy was basically being paid to buy the team and still couldn't do it.

Attendance was okay. There were a few expanses of empty at the top of the shoot-once end. The loges were empty. Probably not 15,000, but maybe like 12, 13,000.

I transcribed the discussion. Thanks, Gamecenter!

[panning through empty seating sections]

FOLEY: Many of the fans who were here have now vacated, but what about the future of the franchise here, Eddie, the potential ownership group of Greg Jamison not able to put a deal together in time to qualify for what was going to be a $15 million a year subsidy from the town of Glendale, and the town of Glendale now has a new city council. And they made it very clear that if a deal was not put together by the deadline at the end of January, that that subsidy was going to go away, and, that's the situation we're in here now.

OLCZYK: Other people might not know that the league is running the Phoenix Coyotes.

FOLEY: Yep. And I've gotta believe there are at least a few owners who are kinda tired of that.

OLCZYK: We're getting close, Pat, you'd have to think, at some point here getting very close on what the situation will be for the Phoenix Coyotes moving forward. . . .

[piddling Pat & Eddie banter omitted]

FOLEY: Well, the Hawks were here for the home opener for the Coyotes, it was a sellout crowd, it was a big night here in the desert, but you know, as time has gone on, the problems that have existed continue to. I mean, the last two home games the Yotes played before tonight, there were a TOTAL of 21,000 fans here. That's in the last TWO home games! So, you know, it's just not gonna work with those kind of numbers, [more shots of empty seats] and it'll be interesting to see how things develop, because we've...it seems like TIME after TIME there's been a potential ownership change, and it's just never gotten together.

And then Nick Leddy got hit in the face with a puck and there were more important things to talk about. But yeah, that's about as real as I've ever heard it get.