NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Many thanks for doing the work I was planning to do off a recording of the overnight replay.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Good news! It's a suppository.

• Like 3

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Tonight was a bitter pill to swallow...on the ice and the turnout.

How so? It's not like this is new or was even unknown to most people. It's been like this for years. Only thing that has changed is that FINALLY other teams are acknowledging it.

Tonight was a bitter pill to swallow...on the ice and the turnout.

What's a bitter pill to swallow is having a commissioner fight tooth and nail to keep a team in a city/area that very few are interested in while teams like the Sacramento Kings in the NBA are all but gone and teams like the North Stars, Nordiques, Whalers and Jets(original jets) got relocated from fan bases that genuinely cared about the teams at least far more than the general fan base of the Coyotes. THe only thing that is not as bitter with Minnesota, Winnipeg and possibly Quebec is that they got teams back.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I read this yesterday, came back last night expecting to see some updates here, but there weren't and I didn't have the URL. Forgive me if this is old news:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nhl/story/2013-02-08/phoenix-coyotes-sale-grant-woods-bill-gallacher-portland-hockey-team-seattleaa?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The NEW names to know in the Phoenix Coyotes ownership drama:

Grant Woods (an ex-attorney general?)

Bill Gallacher (Portland WinterHawks owner who may or may not want to keep the team in Phoenix)

But wait, there's more... names you know:

Ice Edge is involved

Some of the Jerry Reinsdorf group partners

I'm not sure who goes with what, but I figured it doesn't matter since this is likely all a farce anyway. But there it is for the record.

I think the fact that the league is still talking to Ice Edge ("Yeah, we're all about keeping the team in Glendale, but, uh, how 'bout 8 home games a year in Saskatoon?") just reinforces what a farce it all is at this point. It's window dressing made of cellophane.

I read this yesterday, came back last night expecting to see some updates here, but there weren't and I didn't have the URL. Forgive me if this is old news:

http://aol.sportingn..._medium=twitter

The NEW names to know in the Phoenix Coyotes ownership drama:

Grant Woods (an ex-attorney general?)

Bill Gallacher (Portland WinterHawks owner who may or may not want to keep the team in Phoenix)

But wait, there's more... names you know:

Ice Edge is involved

Some of the Jerry Reinsdorf group partners

I'm not sure who goes with what, but I figured it doesn't matter since this is likely all a farce anyway. But there it is for the record.

AOL pulled that article, or you link is dead. Either way it was old out of date news so of which has already been debunked.

Wow. Link worked yesterday (when it was tweeted out) and again when I went to find it this morning. Guess I should start pasting the whole thing. With Coyotes owners news, it's here today, gone tomorrow.

EDIT: It was still available on the tablet version, but just in case:

Courtesy Sporting News, Feb. 8, 2013

Former Arizona Attorney General and well-known Phoenix trial attorney Grant Woods is the latest name to pop up in the Phoenix Coyotes ownership drama.

Woods is working with some new and perhaps recycled bidders for the financially challenged and NHL-owned franchise

, according to officials familiar with the Coyotes machinations.

An ownership group called Ice Edge Holdings previously tried to buy the Coyotes and was most recently involved in Greg Jamison’s unsuccessful bid to buy team.

Ice Edge could now again be back in the Coyotes three-year ownership soap opera and murky future in Glendale.

Canadian oil executive and Portland Winterhawks minor league hockey team owner Bill Gallacher could also be in the mix to buy the team, according to Fox Sports Arizona.

Gallacher and Ice Edge could also work together on bid. Gallacher has pursued other NHL teams. He could keep the Coyotes in Phoenix or try to move them to Portland.

Woods served as state attorney general in the 1990s and has been a political maverick among state Republicans. He’s also involved with a number of charitable causes in the Valley including the Children’s Museum of Phoenix.

Woods did not respond to a request for comment on details of his involvement with Coyotes bidders.

Jamison missed a Jan. 31 deadline buy the team and benefit from a $308 million arena deal from the city of Glendale. That increases the odds of the Coyotes being sold and relocated to another market like Quebec City or Seattle. The former San Jose Sharks CEO could still trying to buy the Coyotes or be part of another group that buys the team.

Woods is not the only Arizona political and legal power broker in the Coyotes mix. Phoenix attorney and lobbyist John Kaites has been part on-and-off Coyotes pursuits with Chicago White Sox and Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf. Kaites declined comment on the current Coyotes situation.

The NHL bought the team out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2009 for $140 million. The league wants between $170 million and $175 million from a Phoenix buyer.

• Like 1

I went to a Spokane Chiefs game this weekend. They're a major junior team in the Western Hockey League (same league and division as the WinterHawks that keep coming up). Granted, they're generally near the top of the league in attendance but here's some fun facts:

A Saturday night game between the Spokane Chiefs and a division rival (the Tri-City Americans) had 10,122 in attendance. The previous Saturday night, they drew 9,079.

A Saturday night game between the Phoenix Coyotes and a division rival (the L.A. Kings) had 14,780 in attendance. The next Saturday night, they drew 12,151.

For every ONE person in the Spokane area, there are NINE in the Phoenix area.

Wow. Link worked yesterday (when it was tweeted out) and again when I went to find it this morning. Guess I should start pasting the whole thing. With Coyotes owners news, it's here today, gone tomorrow.

EDIT: It was still available on the tablet version, but just in case:

Courtesy Sporting News, Feb. 8, 2013

Former Arizona Attorney General and well-known Phoenix trial attorney Grant Woods is the latest name to pop up in the Phoenix Coyotes ownership drama.

Woods is working with some new and perhaps recycled bidders for the financially challenged and NHL-owned franchise

, according to officials familiar with the Coyotes machinations.

An ownership group called Ice Edge Holdings previously tried to buy the Coyotes and was most recently involved in Greg Jamison's unsuccessful bid to buy team.

Ice Edge could now again be back in the Coyotes three-year ownership soap opera and murky future in Glendale.

Canadian oil executive and Portland Winterhawks minor league hockey team owner Bill Gallacher could also be in the mix to buy the team, according to Fox Sports Arizona.

Gallacher and Ice Edge could also work together on bid. Gallacher has pursued other NHL teams. He could keep the Coyotes in Phoenix or try to move them to Portland.

Woods served as state attorney general in the 1990s and has been a political maverick among state Republicans. He's also involved with a number of charitable causes in the Valley including the Children's Museum of Phoenix.

Woods did not respond to a request for comment on details of his involvement with Coyotes bidders.

Jamison missed a Jan. 31 deadline buy the team and benefit from a $308 million arena deal from the city of Glendale. That increases the odds of the Coyotes being sold and relocated to another market like Quebec City or Seattle. The former San Jose Sharks CEO could still trying to buy the Coyotes or be part of another group that buys the team.

Woods is not the only Arizona political and legal power broker in the Coyotes mix. Phoenix attorney and lobbyist John Kaites has been part on-and-off Coyotes pursuits with Chicago White Sox and Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf. Kaites declined comment on the current Coyotes situation.

The NHL bought the team out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy in 2009 for $140 million. The league wants between $170 million and $175 million from a Phoenix buyer.

Yeah, I'm gonna leave this here since Ice Edge is involved....

baltimoreravens.png

Spoke to someone inside the Quebec Remparts organization today. They have been told behind closed doors that Quebec City will be getting an NHL team.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Could you ask your man o'er the Remparts what that deal was last year with the team being asked to clean out their offices? I was going back through old threads the other day and found that tidbit. Didn't exactly go as planned!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I will try to. I'll let you know if I get anything back.

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Spoke to someone inside the Quebec Remparts organization today. They have been told behind closed doors that Quebec City will be getting an NHL team.

Did they specifically say Quebec would be getting the team next year, or just that they were promised one?

He said Quebec was told they were getting one.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

By what date do the Coyotes need to file for relocation by?

If the Atlanta to Winnipeg move is any indicator, August 31.

Good point. As for the Remparts info, not surprising. After Jamison failed the writing is on the wall in Phoenix even to the delusional fools running the NHL. They appear to have other owners who have had enough of sinking money into the Glendale pit if the reaction of the Blackhawks organization was any indication. The NHL have probably been talking to anyone who can take this albatross off their hands, and Quebec is the most ready and willing.