NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

If the NHL is planning to take the Coyotes to Seattle, I believe this needs to be asked, since I no longer trust them to do any due diligence on anything anymore.

"Does Key Arena even have an ice plant still?"

FWIW some goomba on twitter said the Tacoma Dome doesn't have one at the moment.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm hearing that KeyArena and the Tacoma Dome both do and don't have ice plants. I'm really glad we're having these discussions, trying to ascertain whether an 11,000-seat basketball-specific venue or the Buckminister Fuller OmniBarn can indeed make ice. NHL, I hate so much about the things you choose to be.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I would laugh so hard if the Coyotes ended up here in the fall. There's no fun euro-scarves to buy, no romanticism of Seattle's early-90s glory days, and no perceived local interest in hockey. But sure, why not bring the NHL here.

I'd go when they play the Sabres, which I think would actually never happen. Fun!

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'm hearing that KeyArena and the Tacoma Dome both do and don't have ice plants. I'm really glad we're having these discussions, trying to ascertain whether an 11,000-seat basketball-specific venue or the Buckminister Fuller OmniBarn can indeed make ice. NHL, I hate so much about the things you choose to be.

Why are you the way that you are, NHL?

:D

Edited by DustDevil61

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

A Coyotes ticket rep actually called me this morning

"Hi! I'm from the Coyotes ticket office and I've seen that you've been to some games here in the last year?"

"Yeah. Moreso when I lived in the area, but I've gone back for some Ducks games there."

"So, are you planning on or would you like to come see some games out here this year?"

"Provided that the team actually exists in a month's time, yeah I'd love to!"

"Yeah... Yeah... *sigh* I get that... I get that... Well... If you end up wanting tickets, go ahead and give me a call here on my direct line... Thanks..."

Poor guy. Just the sound of utter defeat in his voice. Not his fault.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The Thrashers were still selling tickets hours after the press conference in Winnipeg. Of course, in their defense, Gary Bettman threatened to send the team back to Atlanta unless the Winnipeg faithful sold their children into slavery to buy tickets, so they did have that glimmer of hope.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

A Coyotes ticket rep actually called me this morning

"Hi! I'm from the Coyotes ticket office and I've seen that you've been to some games here in the last year?"

"Yeah. Moreso when I lived in the area, but I've gone back for some Ducks games there."

"So, are you planning on or would you like to come see some games out here this year?"

"Provided that the team actually exists in a month's time, yeah I'd love to!"

"Yeah... Yeah... *sigh* I get that... I get that... Well... If you end up wanting tickets, go ahead and give me a call here on my direct line... Thanks..."

That's pretty sad that the team is calling people who once lived there, but I agree, can't blame the sales rep.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

The Suns are terrible yet their games are always pretty packed. If they get better the fans will definitely show up. D Backs games have been pretty packed lately as well. Overall, it could be a lot worse for the Phoenix teams.

The teams up in Glendale, on the other hand...

I thought the Cardinals haven't had a blackout in their new stadium. Although, if they repeat last years' horror show on offense, then that will happen sooner or later.

The key is that the Cardinals play virtually once every other weekend, so there's less impact on fans going to Glendale. But there are issues when the Coyotes seek fans who have to travel 10+ miles to-and-from per game, hyperbolized to 2-3 games a week, to see their games.

Who would these 4-6 teams be?

I'd just go with Coyotes and Panthers. People attend Predators games and Carolina has the ownership and management that seems willing to make it work.

Preds have a small arena with only being 19th in attendance percent.

97uyh0.jpg

Bruh check out my last.fm

And my Rate Your Music

Fantasy Teams: Seattle Spacemen (CFA)

Signature credit to Silent Wind of Doom

But that's what makes this thread so great!

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

REDACTED

That's pretty sad that the team is calling people who once lived there, but I agree, can't blame the sales rep.

I got a call recently from the Padres if I wanted to get a ticket plan on my account. I told the guy I never had an account, to which he said something like "oh well actually because you bought tickets to us last year you're now automatically an account holder". I told him I moved back to NJ so it wasn't happening, obviously he didn't know that. I'm just harping on the "are you really THAT desperate" angle.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

heh, those organizations could learn something from the sens.

We are THAT desperate to a point that we tell other people from other cities NOT to come.

But yeah, I can see that they yotes would have to try to get people from across the country to fill their seats.

I cannot believe nobody caught this little nugget from the other day...

The Phoenix Coyotes have been linked to several cities for relocation.

There could be another possibility if the City of Glendale and an ownership group can't come to an agreement: going dark for the 2013-2014 season.

In other words, the NHL could soon be veering into what in recent years has been the exclusive domain of the National Lacrosse League (which has seen several teams suspend operations with plans to return later, although most of them ended up simply going away altogether).

If this actually happens, aside from making the new alignment even more unbalanced than it already is, it would reaffirm what most of us here have suspected all along: that Seattle, Quebec City et al never really had a chance, because the Phoenix market is to Gary Bettman what the One Ring is to Gollum, and he'll move heaven, hell and every mountain on Earth before he gives up his Precious.

CCSLC signature.png

Going dark is not an option unless the league made some unheard of concessions to the players affected. The union would flip. They'd have to declare the Coyotes players free agents, expand rosters for a season, and grant salary cap exemptions so that the number of players with jobs (and who pay union dues) doesn't decrease. Then they'd have an expansion draft or something in a year or whenever the team comes back on-line.

Actually now that I type that out, that actually could be a possibility.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Going dark is not an option unless the league made some unheard of concessions to the players affected. The union would flip. They'd have to declare the Coyotes players free agents, expand rosters for a season, and grant salary cap exemptions so that the number of players with jobs (and who pay union dues) doesn't decrease. Then they'd have an expansion draft or something in a year or whenever the team comes back on-line.

Actually now that I type that out, that actually could be a possibility.

Like I said - moving heaven, hell and every mountain on Earth...

CCSLC signature.png

REDACTED

I got a call recently from the Padres if I wanted to get a ticket plan on my account. I told the guy I never had an account, to which he said something like "oh well actually because you bought tickets to us last year you're now automatically an account holder". I told him I moved back to NJ so it wasn't happening, obviously he didn't know that. I'm just harping on the "are you really THAT desperate" angle.

I don't know if the Padres are that desperate yet. I've seen even good teams do the same thing (like the Giants. I bought tickets from them once and get hounded at least twice a year via phone or email).

Actually it's too bad you can't take the Pads up on it. When I could afford seasons last year the benefits were great. I even got to be on field during BP during a game in late summer.