NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

I know that the NHL is used to being a secondary sport in every American market they're in, but this is the first I can think of where they're going to run well behind soccer.

They'd have been better off with an AHL club.

Was this because of the NHL?

According to Elliotte Friedman, the Vancouver Canucks, who announced on Friday that their AHL team was moving to Utica, N.Y., originally had planned to put it in Seattle in KeyArena. Turns out, they were told "it was not available for hockey," reported Friedman.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/phoenix-coyotes-moving-seattle-roenick-reportedly-part-plan-143114434.html

I think we also need to point out that the provisionally named "Seattle Totems" have a best case scenario of being 4th banana on the local sports scene, and will drop to 5th if the city ever gets its baseball team. Hell, depending on the support Washington gets up there they might drop another rank. Market size or not, does this league really want to put itself in a position where it will lose attendance and ratings wars to the :censored: ing MLS?!

In how many American markets with 3+ "top four+" teams (even the hockey hotbeds) does the NHL team have a legit claim in being #1 or #2?

I mean, the Bruins are an Original 6 team, but they'll never be bigger than the Red Sox or Celtics. Nor would the Blackhawks ever be bigger than the Cubs/White Sox and Bears.

Not many, but at least in those markets they are more popular than the local MLS team. The Seattle Totems wouldn't even have that.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Do we have any actual evidence to write off Seattle as a hockey town aside from the lack of resources? In reality speculation doesn't count for anything but they do have already have a Cup to their name and like anything else that's new, it would be a big draw from the get-go.

Midway.png

Kenora "has a Cup to its name." Who gives a sh-t? What a stupid thing to have said.

I don't think anyone's saying that Seattle cannot, under any circumstances, support the NHL at an adequate level. Market size and local economy would say that they could carve out a decent niche, but like you said yourself, there is a glaring lack of resources at the time. I would like to see the NHL in Seattle, after having laid the necessary groundwork for a team, rather than trying to throw it down in two months just to avoid the imagined ignominy of moving a hockey team to Canada. There's another city that you could say would have been able to support the NHL at an adequate level had they had foresight, patience, and a sturdy business plan rather than fast-tracking a relocation away from somewhere better and dealing with debilitating temporary arenas just to plant a flimsy flag. They have one foot out the door of that city right now.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

When Seattle won the Stanley Cup in 1917, they were the Champions of a 4 team league that beat the champions of another 4 team league. 5 of the 8 teams eligible for the cup were Canadian and therefore sucking wind for manpower because of a little thing called World War One. And no, we were still a couple of weeks away from entering the war.

Yes, "flags fly forever" but let's not pretend the difficulty rating on this Stanley Cup victory was obscenely high.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

When I saw "Seattle is a hockey town because there was a team there that won the Stanley Cup 96 years ago in a hockey landscape that didn't even resemble the hockey landscape of 50 years ago, let alone today," I thought I was in the HFBoards Bad Thought Aggregator.

• Like 1

Kenora "has a Cup to its name." Who gives a sh-t? What a stupid thing to have said.

I don't think anyone's saying that Seattle cannot, under any circumstances, support the NHL at an adequate level. Market size and local economy would say that they could carve out a decent niche, but like you said yourself, there is a glaring lack of resources at the time. I would like to see the NHL in Seattle, after having laid the necessary groundwork for a team, rather than trying to throw it down in two months just to avoid the imagined ignominy of moving a hockey team to Canada. There's another city that you could say would have been able to support the NHL at an adequate level had they had foresight, patience, and a sturdy business plan rather than fast-tracking a relocation away from somewhere better and dealing with debilitating temporary arenas just to plant a flimsy flag. They have one foot out the door of that city right now.

I'm not sure who are what you're upset with here. While the Kings poaching was more or less supported by all levels of Seattle public and private interests, the Coyotes deal is more of an "okay, that's cool" kind of deal. There's a small piece on the Seattle Times site about it today, with just three comments. And even then, the piece is more about what an NHL team would do for the NBA arena, not about NHL for the NHL's sake.

I don't know all of the players in this deal, but this -- to me -- seems radically different than that Kings saga. That, at its core, was one city trying to take another's team. This is more a gift horse, if it even happens.

What a dumb way for a city to land an NHL franchise. And how sad that the NHL seems to place so little value on its product that it could let it happen.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

There's a small piece on the Seattle Times site about it today, with just three comments. And even then, the piece is more about what an NHL team would do for the NBA arena, not about NHL for the NHL's sake.

Yeah, see, this is what annoys me. It's funny, because usually I'm more irritated by the dumb idea that the NBA and NHL fandoms are two solitudes, but "give us the Kings we want the Sonics back give us the Kings we want the Sonics back oh and also the Coyotes if it helps us get the Sonics back" makes me wish Seattle's hockey fans were a bunch of insular weirdos.

How can anyone post the word "confirmed" with a straight face anymore? I watched that "hot stove" link, and while it's true that I'm ignorant to who those people are and what they know, I feel pretty confident in saying that nobody outside of Gary bettman and whoever runs Glendale really has any idea what's really happening.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Somehow, it's a mark of how crazy this story has become that the mention of Jeremey Roenick being involved with running a hockey team isn't even remarkable.

Trades Keith Yandle and Oliver Ekman-Larsson for Kyle Beach and a 2015 5th because IT'S THE CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS, MAN.

jrcries-o.gif

I don't think Gary Bettman has any idea what's going on.

OITGMFSABAPOSSOABMFGFDNHL.

*continuing to scan business of hockey forum*

Does anyone honestly believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that if the Coyotes move to Seattle, the NHL already has backchannel agreements for a new arena in town? I mean there are some delusional idiots over there, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Today, we are all otaku.

As much as I glee in the hope that this Phoenix Coyotes saga is over and that Seattle may get an NHL team, the general ego of the NHL's owners and its commissioner once again manifest themselves. What's baffling is that a city whose first sports passion is hockey and has a ready arena with a brand-spanking new one to come (Quebec) is being put behind a North American city where football, baseball, and soccer come before hockey, while an arena in said city (Seattle) isn't such a sure thing.

In terms of other arenas in the western US, moving the Coyotes to Portland or Salt Lake would make more sense, as the Rose Garden or The Building Formerly Known as the Delta Center are at least more equipped to house hockey.*

*In other words, center ice is at the center of the arena, where at the Key, it isn't (as far as I'm aware). Admittedly, Key Arena does fit 15,000-ish as opposed to Energy Solutions Arena's 14,000 for hockey, if Wikipedia is to be trusted on the matter.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

If it fits 15,000 for hockey, 6,000 have obstructed views. Makes the Barclays Center look like the Nassau Coliseum.

I like that people are seriously attributing this to maintaining the integrity of the new realignment. No one can take away from Detroit what is rightfully theirs: a geographically-based division with the Panthers and Senators