NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

So what's the deadline they need to meet in Glendale to be able to publicly vote on July 2? As I understand it they have to make the details of the deal public a certain number of days in advance of that meeting by law or they can't vote on it.

I was thinking about something.....could the NHL be using Seattle as a stop-over before moving the team to Quebec City?

The NHL is pretty dead-set on realigning the league for next season, apparently. There's nothing definite about Seattle building a new arena (while QC is getting their arena built right now), and the NHL has said they'll re-visit the league's soon-to-be-adopted realignment plan after three seasons. By then, Quebec's arena will be completed (and possibly given a trial run by a minor league team), we'll have a good idea on Seattle being a worthy NHL market, and other teams with money issues (namely the Devils) would have three years to see which financial direction they're going in.....all the while the league's salary cap restraints (if I remember correctly) are set for the next couple seasons. (Did the league and NHLPA agree to a fixed cap limit for the next few years, in the $64-million neighborhood?)

The league is hell bent on realignment because Detroit and Columbus complained about going out West all the time. Of course, the ironic aspect this fervent desire for realignment is that if Detroit and Columbus were to stay out West, they would likely only play around 4 more games each in the Mountain or Pacific time zone than they would in the East thanks to the NHL's guarantee that each team plays at least a home and home.

Mainly, it's a playoff thing. The travel for West coast games is taxing, while Eastern teams can literally drive to the visitors arena.

All those scheduling losses add up! :P

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

So what's the deadline they need to meet in Glendale to be able to publicly vote on July 2? As I understand it they have to make the details of the deal public a certain number of days in advance of that meeting by law or they can't vote on it.

I'm not sure what the legal requirements are, but according to everything I've read they've been hoping to release details of a deal early this week:

http://www.azcentral...likely-end.html

City officials hope to release details of that draft deal with the hockey team’s prospective owners early next week, then vote on a proposal by July 2, said Glendale spokeswoman Julie Watters.

(This was written on Friday so next week is this week.)

http://www.usatoday....p-deal/2448093/

If things go as planned, city officials would post details of the contract on the city's website as early as Monday and the council would schedule a public council vote for July 2, she said.

(Monday is today! But when have things gone as planned in Glendale?)

I'm not sure what the legal requirements are, but according to everything I've read they've been hoping to release details of a deal early this week:

http://www.azcentral...likely-end.html

City officials hope to release details of that draft deal with the hockey team’s prospective owners early next week, then vote on a proposal by July 2, said Glendale spokeswoman Julie Watters.

(This was written on Friday so next week is this week.)

http://www.usatoday....p-deal/2448093/

If things go as planned, city officials would post details of the contract on the city's website as early as Monday and the council would schedule a public council vote for July 2, she said.

(Monday is today! But when have things gone as planned in Glendale?)

Well I believe they need 7 days so if they don't release today it looks like they can't vote on it July 2. If they can't vote July 2 this may be the end... FINALLY.

Looks like some of the details of the deal that would keep the Coyotes in Glendale if approved have leaked out. The main takeaway for the day to day Phoenix fan is that every fan on average would have to pay $20 more a game to attend between the cost of parking and ticket surcharges. Which is sure to help pack them in for a team that's already struggling with attendance. Especially when it's likely new ownership would have to raise ticket prices in addition to the $20 in surcharges just to break even.

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2013/06/24/5402/coyotes-lease-claims-if-true-would-require-20-in-surcharges-per-fan/

I know it's a low bar to clear, but putting the majority of the burden of the arena management fee on actual patrons of the arena is arguably the most logical concept we've had in this entire saga.

• Like 2
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I know it's a low bar to clear, but putting the majority of the burden of the arena management fee on actual patrons of the arena is arguably the most logical concept we've had in this entire saga.

In principle that sports should be self sustaining, yes it is. But in practice in Glendale... it'll be disastrous. If they're already having trouble drawing, which they are, with free parking and tickets costing very little relatively now... they're not going to do better when ticket prices up $5-10 a ticket and parking costing $15.

Wow, just gets worse and worse in Glendale in the run up to tonight's first public meeting on the new potential lease. Looks like the city council is going to be voting on authorizing the sale of Glendale City Hall to pay off past debts incurred at the hands of the Coyotes and Dodgers. They'd then lease it back, but would no longer have a city hall. On top of that they still haven't identified how they'd pay for the $15 mil annual payment to the Coyotes under the new agreement being bandied about that they may or may not vote on by July 2. And to add the ultimate insult to injury they're labeling the sale as an "emergency measure" and hid it deep in the agenda tonight to bypass having to take such a drastic move (like selling city hall) to the taxpayers for a referendum.

http://www.theglobea...rticle12791999/

Wow. Just when we think it can't get more absurd, it does.

Well we know their end game now... bankruptcy. The last city I heard that did a similar move like this was Stockton, CA (yeah the same Stockton that became the largest US city to declare bankruptcy). And they didn't take on $15 million in annual wasteful payments to a hockey team AFTER they sold their city hall either. Hopefully the new owners and NHL take this into account. Because they won't be getting $15 million annually from Glendale when they file for bankruptcy protection in a year or two.

Well we know their end game now... bankruptcy. The last city I heard that did a similar move like this was Stockton, CA (yeah the same Stockton that became the largest US city to declare bankruptcy). And they didn't take on $15 million in annual wasteful payments to a hockey team AFTER they sold their city hall either. Hopefully the new owners and NHL take this into account. Because they won't be getting $15 million annually from Glendale when they file for bankruptcy protection in a year or two.

It's those damn pensions for public workers I tell you.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

For Stockton it was, definitely. For Glendale it'll be the Coyotes if they go through with this lease. Hopefully a bunch of citizens come out and tell them that tonight. Time to give up on the failed Westgate experiment, sell the land and try to make some money back that way.

When a city has to sell off its own facilities to pay for a for-profit enterprise, something is terribly wrong. The team has NEVER EVER made profit, neither will it ever make profit in the desert. I wouldn't be surprised if businesses all around Glendale start closing up shop soon, eventually leaving only the Jobberdome left there. Congratulations, Glendale, you're on your way to becoming a ghost town.

If there is still doubt, here's a local news story showing KeyArena's ice making capabilities.

http://www.king5.com...-212867481.html

Speaking of local news, isn't it surprising how little the Seattle Times cares about the Coyotes? It's a pretty stark contrast to their up-to-the-second reporting on the Kings/Hansen saga.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

If there is still doubt, here's a local news story showing KeyArena's ice making capabilities.

Speaking of local news, isn't it surprising how little the Seattle Times cares about the Coyotes? It's a pretty stark contrast to their up-to-the-second reporting on the Kings/Hansen saga.

It is but at least they were running full articles about the NHL each day this week. I take what I can get. Also, wasn't the Times against building the new arena? I can see why they would chose to not cover something that, by association, they don't support.

Here is some boring reading from the Glendale Council:

http://www.glendaleaz.com/Clerk/agendasandminutes/Meetings/Agendas/062513-26.pdf

I don't think it's that surprising. Basketball has a deeper history in Seattle and the "wounds" from the Sonics leaving are still pretty fresh. Have the Thunderbirds or Silvertips (or Rockets when they were here) ever been more of a footnote in the sports section? But then maybe that's not a fair comparison.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

For Stockton it was, definitely. For Glendale it'll be the Coyotes if they go through with this lease. Hopefully a bunch of citizens come out and tell them that tonight. Time to give up on the failed Westgate experiment, sell the land and try to make some money back that way.

Sorry, should have added the sarcasm smiley. It will be blamed on the workers. Just watch.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)