NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

When a city has to sell off its own facilities to pay for a for-profit enterprise, something is terribly wrong. The team has NEVER EVER made profit, neither will it ever make profit in the desert. I wouldn't be surprised if businesses all around Glendale start closing up shop soon, eventually leaving only the Jobberdome left there. Congratulations, Glendale, you're on your way to becoming a ghost town.

Stupid move, yeah. But you're seriously misguided if you think Glendale as a whole is suffering because of this. The part of Glendale that the arena is in is already pretty depressed already -- but to the north, economically speaking, anyway, Glendale is doing pretty well. The city is home to the most millionaires in the valley, and is a pretty large retail profit center in this quadrant of the valley. I doubt it becomes a ghost town as a result of this.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Should've moved the team a few miles away from downtown to south Scottsdale. Would've been a much better result.

Well, I'm glad that there are millionaires and other well-to-do folks in the city, but that raises a new question. If there really is some magically as-yet unrealized passion for hockey in the desert, why can't a couple dozen/hundred/however many of these Glendale millionaires buy the team off the NHL? Do they not believe it can magically make money? Or are they all too smart for that, seeing how the city has thrown good money after bad all these years?

Well, I'm glad that there are millionaires and other well-to-do folks in the city, but that raises a new question. If there really is some magically as-yet unrealized passion for hockey in the desert, why can't a couple dozen/hundred/however many of these Glendale millionaires buy the team off the NHL? Do they not believe it can magically make money? Or are they all too smart for that, seeing how the city has thrown good money after bad all these years?

Because there isn't, they can't, and yes, they are.

Furthermore, the NHL would never approve that sale. As reported in the Bettman book, when the Oilers (I believe) were in peril, there was an offer from this conglomerate group of townsfolk dumping hats full of money onto the kitchen table. Bettman wouldn't allow that ownership group because he wanted there to be a solid majority owner.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Well nothing new tonight. They still don't have a deal and Glendale still wants more concessions from Renaissance before they go forward with the deal. Basically Glendale has wised up and realized that all the bones Renaissance was throwing them were tied to game-day revenue, which hasn't been very good or consistent for the Coyotes over their lifetime. In addition they didn't vote on the city hall sales plan to pay for the $50 million they've already had to pay the NHL because the NHL played the, "you can pay it in installments if you approve the new deal" card. They'll take another crack at the negotiations on Friday it looks like. But they're also expressing doubt they'll be able to meet the July 2 deadline.

Frankly I don't see why they just don't call the NHL's bluff at this point. I don't believe for a second they'll go running to a dump of an arena in Seattle with a murky ownership group and no active plans for a new arena in a market largely an unknown hockey quantity at this point.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/glendale/articles/20130625glendale-unsure-phoenix-coyotes-deal.html

Furthermore, the NHL would never approve that sale. As reported in the Bettman book, when the Oilers (I believe) were in peril, there was an offer from this conglomerate group of townsfolk dumping hats full of money onto the kitchen table. Bettman wouldn't allow that ownership group because he wanted there to be a solid majority owner.

Does he not know how the Packers have existed for practically their entirety? It can work. That kind of reasoning is blind, to me.

The NFL strictly bans any and all other ownership groups from having a Packers-style setup. There's a reason there's only one.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That was the Jets and the Spirit of Manitoba group, which he struck down as part of a long chain of goalpost-moving on Winnipeg. Edmonton had a similar patchwork of owners step up to buy the team from Pocklington, but he let them buy the team. Daryl Katz eventually took full control of the team from that group, however.

And no, the NHL cannot and should not have a Packers deal. Hockey fandom plus "tra-la-la-la-la, I own stock in the team" would be such a critical mass of sanctimony that it would destroy the entirety of western civilization.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That was the Jets and the Spirit of Manitoba group, which he struck down as part of a long chain of goalpost-moving on Winnipeg. Edmonton had a similar patchwork of owners step up to buy the team from Pocklington, but he let them buy the team. Daryl Katz eventually took full control of the team from that group, however.

And no, the NHL cannot and should not have a Packers deal. Hockey fandom plus "tra-la-la-la-la, I own stock in the team" would be such a critical mass of sanctimony that it would destroy the entirety of western civilization.

"I'm not paying Nick Schultz 3.5 million a year to be -13! BOOOO you suck Schultz. I pay your overpriced salary ya bum!" - some ahole with one share in the last row of the upperbowl*

*this took some research

PvO6ZWJ.png

- Look, look. I own the Phoenix Coyotes. This paper says so.

- Cool. So can you vote on business decisions?

- No.

- Does it appreciate in value?

- No.

- Can you sell your stock and collect dividends on it?

- No.

- So really, you don't own any stock in the team. You just bought a really expensive piece of paper that says you like a team.

- Yes.

- But you own the Coyotes.

- Yes.

- Well, I'm glad we could have this chat, Greg Jamison, but I must be going.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The NFL strictly bans any and all other ownership groups from having a Packers-style setup. There's a reason there's only one.

Isn't this the case across North America entirely? I thought I remember hearing or reading one time that the Packers arrangement is a byproduct of their time period, that they are grandfathered to their arrangement, and that no team can either come into a league like that OR switch to that style from being a privately owned entity.

spacer.png

I know this is a bit far fetched, but humour me. ('cause you need a little comic relief every now and then). Sitting pondering today, I thought of this scenario...

Picture it, Quebec, June 2016. Bettman walks out on the ice to present the Nouveau-Nordiques with the Cup. You can hear the boos from here. Just a wall of sound, in English and French.

(Not saying it'd actually happen, but it'd certainly put a smile on my face after this huge debacle.)

6893352392_587cf4e9eb_n.jpg

When asked to clarify her statement, Alvarez replied, “I called them knuckleheads, because they don’t get it. They don’t get it. They don’t get it. They’re going to continue discussions. Discussions of what? We’re selling City Hall because of paying $50 million. C’mon. C’mon.”

http://www.azcentral...yotes-deal.html

And then there's the fact that the deal completely fell apart and got put back together in a matter of hours.

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/nhl/phoenix-coyotes/story/Glendale-city-council-to-force-July-2-vo?blockID=915399&feedID=3545

Edited by YzerFan19

When asked to clarify her statement, Alvarez replied, “I called them knuckleheads, because they don’t get it. They don’t get it. They don’t get it. They’re going to continue discussions. Discussions of what? We’re selling City Hall because of paying $50 million. C’mon. C’mon.”

http://www.azcentral...yotes-deal.html

And then there's the fact that the deal completely fell apart and got put back together in a matter of hours.

http://www.foxsports...399&feedID=3545

Honestly reading the Fox article it doesn't sound like it's back together, just that the fallen apart deal from earlier Tuesday is going to be brought before a public council meeting for a vote anyway without it being agreed on before hand (which frankly is how this stuff is supposed to be done rather than closed door backroom dealings that have been happening). But it doesn't seem they have to votes in advance this time. Frankly I think the supporters are trying to force the issue and make the opposition councilors vote publicly against what they see as a "great deal" for the city.

But it doesn't seem they have to votes in advance this time. Frankly I think the supporters are trying to force the issue and make the opposition councilors vote publicly against what they see as a "great deal" for the city.

A final suicide move. It's interesting that long time Coyotes supporter Manny Martinez appears to have jumped ship leaving only two supporters of the deal...

tigercatssignature-1.png

I know this is a bit far fetched, but humour me. ('cause you need a little comic relief every now and then). Sitting pondering today, I thought of this scenario...

Picture it, Quebec, June 2016. Bettman walks out on the ice to present the Nouveau-Nordiques with the Cup. You can hear the boos from here. Just a wall of sound, in English and French.

(Not saying it'd actually happen, but it'd certainly put a smile on my face after this huge debacle.)

That would be the FIRST time that both the French and English in Canada would collectively do something together and support the exact same thing lol.