NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Picture it, Quebec, June 2016. Bettman walks out on the ice to present the Nouveau-Nordiques with the Cup. You can hear the boos from here. Just a wall of sound, in English and French.

Bettman should just surrender to those French-speaking Quebec people. He should know a thing or two about surrendering; he has already "franced" away the equivalent of two full seasons in his tenure.

UPDATE: As of 9:40 p.m. (Arizona time), no deal points were posted on the Glendale City website: www.glendaleaz.com, and there was no notice of a special City Council meeting on July 2. It was unclear what impact that would have on the NHL as it prepared for the Board of Governors meeting Thursday. An email to deputy commissioner Bill Daly was not immediately returned.

Where do we go from here? Given the rampant and rapid twists and turns this story has taken over the past four years, no one can say. Opponents of this deal still want more guarantees on revenue that RSE will not give, reasoning that both sides should assume some risk in a business deal, and that Glendale bears some burden because it chose to build the arena.

This much, however, can be safely predicted: There will be more behind-the-scenes shenanigans, more political plays, more alliances being leveraged.

Behind the scenes, other ownership groups may continue their quest through local lobbyists or local attorneys.

Some of the questions surround John Kaites, a longtime chum of Weiers with deep business ties to the city who visits City Hall frequently and has long been pursuing the purchase of this team. What are his ties to one of the two arena-management bids that are up for consideration if the Coyotes leave, and what will he and his elected buddy do if this deal appears to have traction?

Will Matthew Hulsizer’s representatives offer more infusions of equity into RSE’s deal out of the goodness of their hearts, as multiple sources say they have proposed? Or will they finally realize everyone knows there are very real strings attached — in the form of a prominent role in the hockey operations department that might end GM Don Maloney’s relationship with the team?

Maybe public opinion will hold some sway. Maybe another well-timed release of a red herring will alter the climate once again, as some believe Tuesday’s idea of leveraging City Hall did to the uninitiated in this saga. Maybe the mayor has another power play up his sleeve.

But the deal points are expected to be on the table later Wednesday for everyone to see, so there can at least be some clarity.

If the city decides to go ahead with this deal, the votes will tell who shares the credit or blame for whatever the Coyotes do in Glendale from here on out.

And if the deal fails, it should be abundantly clear now that Weiers is the responsible party.

If the city comes out the other end of the Coyotes deal in fine shape, Weiers should get the credit and congratulations for his foresight.

But if Westgate falters, businesses close, Jobing.com Arena fails to secure enough events in a highly competitive market, city revenue falls and the picture turns as bleak as some have suggested it will, that, too, will be on Weiers.

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/nhl/phoenix-coyotes/story/Glendale-council-to-force-July-2-vote-on?blockID=915399&feedID=9050

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Hockey fandom plus "tra-la-la-la-la, I own stock in the team" would be such a critical mass of sanctimony that it would destroy the entirety of western civilization.

Okay...that's a bit much, I think. I'm assuming the overkill was just to go with the spirit of farce in this thread, though...

If it is farcical for fans to want to own a piece of their team, then I suggest you not only talk to the Packers' fans about it, but also every English football club that is owned by their fans (granted, none are in the Premiership). Not to mention the Sask Riders, Eskies and Blue Bombers, the Kitchener Rangers and the Prince Albert Raiders. Personally, I think the ownership structure could theoretically be tweaked to at least give fan-owners perks, like priority seating, if they can't get a monetary dividend out of it.

Owning a piece of paper that says "I helped keep my favourite team in town" would be a great thing to get young kids interested in sports, I think.

UPDATE: As of 9:40 p.m. (Arizona time), no deal points were posted on the Glendale City website: www.glendaleaz.com, and there was no notice of a special City Council meeting on July 2. It was unclear what impact that would have on the NHL as it prepared for the Board of Governors meeting Thursday. An email to deputy commissioner Bill Daly was not immediately returned.

Where do we go from here? Given the rampant and rapid twists and turns this story has taken over the past four years, no one can say. Opponents of this deal still want more guarantees on revenue that RSE will not give, reasoning that both sides should assume some risk in a business deal, and that Glendale bears some burden because it chose to build the arena.

This much, however, can be safely predicted: There will be more behind-the-scenes shenanigans, more political plays, more alliances being leveraged.

Behind the scenes, other ownership groups may continue their quest through local lobbyists or local attorneys.

Some of the questions surround John Kaites, a longtime chum of Weiers with deep business ties to the city who visits City Hall frequently and has long been pursuing the purchase of this team. What are his ties to one of the two arena-management bids that are up for consideration if the Coyotes leave, and what will he and his elected buddy do if this deal appears to have traction?

Will Matthew Hulsizer’s representatives offer more infusions of equity into RSE’s deal out of the goodness of their hearts, as multiple sources say they have proposed? Or will they finally realize everyone knows there are very real strings attached — in the form of a prominent role in the hockey operations department that might end GM Don Maloney’s relationship with the team?

Maybe public opinion will hold some sway. Maybe another well-timed release of a red herring will alter the climate once again, as some believe Tuesday’s idea of http://www.foxsports...399&feedID=9050

Well they didn't release anything in advance of the NHL BOG meeting. And it's not even clear at this point that they'd be able to release anything with enough public lead time. Though it looks like RSE has requested a July 2nd special council meeting be called and the 3 holdover council members per usual are also requesting it (the three of them have got a lot of experience at this point bending over and presenting themselves for the inevitable screwjob). Which would seem to indicate it is the other 4 council members holding up the deal (which makes sense since this is essentially the same deal they all ran on a platform of opposing when the other party was Jamison). If the 4 hold fast it's dead.

Looks like the lease agreement has been posted.

http://www.glendalea...116_6062713.pdf

EDIT: a reporter's take on the agreement

http://www.azcentral.com/insiders/brahm1700/2013/06/27/heres-the-deal-glendale/

So less than a week from the assumed deadline for a deal between Glendale and RSE, the sides appear to be far apart, RSE clearly does not believe Glendale is bargaining in good faith, and Glendale has so far balked at putting the deal on the council agenda.

Looks like the lease agreement has been posted.

http://www.glendalea...116_6062713.pdf

EDIT: a reporter's take on the agreement

http://www.azcentral...-deal-glendale/

So less than a week from the assumed deadline for a deal between Glendale and RSE, the sides appear to be far apart, RSE clearly does not believe Glendale is bargaining in good faith, and Glendale has so far balked at putting the deal on the council agenda.

Maybe they've balked at putting it on the agenda because it's not a good deal. Just a thought.

RSE can move the Coyotes after 5 years if they can show $50 million in losses over the period.

Rocky Wirtz says the perpetually-sold-out, never-more-popular Blackhawks will "lose" $20 million alone in this Stanley Cup season.

YOU HAVE LEARNED NOTHING, GLENDALE.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

RSE can move the Coyotes after 5 years if they can show $50 million in losses over the period.

Rocky Wirtz says the perpetually-sold-out, never-more-popular Blackhawks will "lose" $20 million alone in this Stanley Cup season.

YOU HAVE LEARNED NOTHING, GLENDALE.

Yeah, they lost it in a giant pallet of Wirtz-distributed whiskey bottles; perhaps they should retrace their steps and find it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

"The pallet was last seen in the vicinity of an older, portly Canadian gentleman in an unbuttoned dress shirt and blonde toupee, who had visible fumes of single-malt scotch trailing behind him."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Daly said he wouldn't rule out Quebec, lets keep our fingers crossed!

Wonder if the reality that Seattle isn't ready in any way shape or form has finally dawned on them. Seems to me their hopes and dreams were riding on this thing being in the pipeline.

screen_shot_2013-03-14_at_4.53.00_pm.0_standard_352.0.png

When Stern saved the Kings he not only gut punch Seattle's hopes of getting a basketball team, he totally screwed Bettman's master plan.

Yeah, we established that 4 pages ago.

I gotta say I'm completely stumped as to what Bettman's end game is here. Is it a move to QC? Does it go to Seattle until QC's or Vegas' new arena is good to go? Would he dare try and horn into Sacramento?

:It is a mystery:

Welcome to DrunjFlix

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17