NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2014-02-05/news/fl-panthers-money-request-20140205_1_ceo-michael-yormark-florida-panthers-panthers-request

The team is losing millions, and is receiving revenue sharing from the National Hockey League because of its under-average revenues. Though county records show the arena makes money with its concerts and other non-hockey events, when the financial failure of the hockey team is factored in, Yormark said, the operation is losing $20 million to $30 million a year.

This paragraph stood out to me as a reason you don't hand them more money...

Even a recent sold-out Billy Joel concert at the Panthers' BB&T Center in Sunrise - a two-night affair that broke arena event records - was a money loser, he said, since he had to pay the artist a competitive $4 million.

Why would you book him if you lose money even if you set records?

So, about the Panthers maxing out their cap next year...

I don't think they ever intended to. My guess is someone peckerslapped them for listing "we'll spend to the cap" as a condition of getting another bailout, as if they'd hold back otherwise. Days after that report, Tallon emerged from whichever golf course he spends his days on to say oh, no, we're going to spend to the cap right away (despite being in an early rebuilding phase). They'll probably just give 30 over 5 to someone like Matt Moulson and then just be like "hey, we tried other guys."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Oh jeez, these guys are scammy idiots. Like the article said, they are basically cyber-squating. Trying to profit off the hard work and creativity of others with alternate spellings and they think they are clever. He is not a real obsticle, he will lose. Its obvious what he's doing.

That's not saying the Coyotes haven't made numerous mistakes, but this guy stealing their brand (and the brands of the Suns, Cardinals, and Pheonix Open) is not one of them.

Haha…sorry I deal with this a ton at work. Finding someone with no relation to an organization 'owns' the phrase and then that organization can't use it. Its amazing that its allowed. How can you "own" something that's associated with someone else just because you got your paperwork in first?

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2014-02-05/news/fl-panthers-money-request-20140205_1_ceo-michael-yormark-florida-panthers-panthers-request

The team is losing millions, and is receiving revenue sharing from the National Hockey League because of its under-average revenues. Though county records show the arena makes money with its concerts and other non-hockey events, when the financial failure of the hockey team is factored in, Yormark said, the operation is losing $20 million to $30 million a year.

Tra la la, what you silly relocationists will never understand is that the Panthers make so much money on their arena! Tally-ho!

lex-luthor-wrong-1.jpg

That's so South Florida!

This paragraph stood out to me as a reason you don't hand them more money...

Even a recent sold-out Billy Joel concert at the Panthers' BB&T Center in Sunrise - a two-night affair that broke arena event records - was a money loser, he said, since he had to pay the artist a competitive $4 million.

Why would you book him if you lose money even if you set records?

So, about the Panthers maxing out their cap next year...

$4M/40000 people = $100 per ticket, which doesn't seem too far off. Then you have parking and food revenue. It's probably just creative accounting. A properly-motivated arena operator could host the second coming of Jesus on two consecutive nights and still claim a loss.

Maybe not PHX but how about KC, I present the Kansas City Panthers.

KansasCityPanthers_zps57ac5815.png

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

What ever happened to KC anyway? Do the sprint center owners not care about an anchor tenant anymore? It's a real small market but has to be better than Florida, Nashville, Phoenix, and a few others that I'm forgetting.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yes, the city has said that the subsidies and concessions that would have to be made to an NBA/NHL anchor tenant would outweigh the benefits of having one, and that they're acceptably profitable controlling the master lease themselves. Don't count on a team there.

It's not that small, roughly equivalent to Cincinnati or Indianapolis, but three pro teams would be too much for the market, just as they would for Cincinnati or Indianapolis.

So it would be a guaranteed losing money situation? No chance of earnings outweighing subsidies?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Well, if we're talking about a team capturing the revenue streams that those teams traditionally capture from their public arenas (concerts, parking, concessions), then it starts getting hard to make the the math work favorably for the city.

And again: The Panthers are not going to move.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Take it for what's it worth....

http://seattletimes.com/html/hockey/2022905302_nhlseattle14xml.html

News of NHL expansion could be coming soon, and the league sees Seattle as a strong possible market. “I think Seattle will certainly be an intriguing marketplace from the league’s perspective,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said.

Sources say there have been negotiations between the league and potential ownership groups in Seattle about the cost of expansion fees. To the point where the NHL and local officials could be prepared to make some type of announcement shortly after the Olympic Games in Sochi conclude — at a time the NHL hopes nationwide interest in its sport will be at a high point.

Daly makes no promises about when the NHL will announce expansion plans — despite varying levels of interest already expressed by Seattle, Quebec City, Kansas City and the Toronto suburb of Markham, Ont. But he does suggest the league feels it’s finally solidified some of its more unstable franchises as best it can in the short term.

“Our primary objective has been to stabilize the franchises we have where they are,’’ he says. “And I think we’ve done a pretty good job of that. So, as we move into the next phase, it would be a growth phase for the league. And expansion may come up on the agenda at the appropriate time.’’

baltimoreravens.png

Take it for what's it worth....

http://seattletimes.com/html/hockey/2022905302_nhlseattle14xml.html

News of NHL expansion could be coming soon, and the league sees Seattle as a strong possible market. “I think Seattle will certainly be an intriguing marketplace from the league’s perspective,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said.

Sources say there have been negotiations between the league and potential ownership groups in Seattle about the cost of expansion fees. To the point where the NHL and local officials could be prepared to make some type of announcement shortly after the Olympic Games in Sochi conclude — at a time the NHL hopes nationwide interest in its sport will be at a high point.

Daly makes no promises about when the NHL will announce expansion plans — despite varying levels of interest already expressed by Seattle, Quebec City, Kansas City and the Toronto suburb of Markham, Ont. But he does suggest the league feels it’s finally solidified some of its more unstable franchises as best it can in the short term.

“Our primary objective has been to stabilize the franchises we have where they are,’’ he says. “And I think we’ve done a pretty good job of that. So, as we move into the next phase, it would be a growth phase for the league. And expansion may come up on the agenda at the appropriate time.’’

They are an option until Bettman finds out that Seattle isn't in Mississippi.

Ha!

I'll be waiting for the NHL to announce this expansion plan. Maybe Bettman throws the Panthers to Seattle...OK, I kid, I kid.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/19/pols-support-panthers-bailout-plan-co-owner-says-team-is-losing-100k-daily/

We may have new front-runners in the category of "Biggest Bunch Of Elected Idiots"; Broward County is probably going to give the Panthers another $80 million.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

They're up there with Glendale, I'll give them that...

Meanwhile, on the opposite coast....

http://seattletimes.com/html/hockey/2022947708_nhlseattle20xml.html

A group of Seattle sports, business and political leaders are to make a cross-border pilgrimage next week where they’ll learn more about the National Hockey League firsthand.

The overnight trip to Vancouver, to attend a reception at B.C. Place with sports and tourism officials from that city and then a Canucks hockey game, was planned months ago. But the timing couldn’t be better, given continued negotiations behind the scenes to bring an NHL expansion franchise to this city and a sense the league could begin moving seriously toward that soon after the Olympics in Sochi conclude.

Local sources have said the league has held discussions with potential ownership groups here about what the fee would be to land an expansion franchise to begin play in the 2015-16 season. Reports last summer had pegged it at $275 million, but sources now say they expect the price to be somewhere in the $200 million-to-$250 million range.

baltimoreravens.png