NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Ftvanouvelles.ca%2Flcn%2Finfos%2Fregional%2Farchives%2F2011%2F11%2F20111117-181620.html%3Futm_source%3Dtwitterfeed%26utm_medium%3Dtwitter&act=url

The executive committee of the Quebec City releases $ 50 million for work on the construction of the new amphitheater.

Of this amount, it is anticipated that approximately $ 19 million will be spent in 2012 and the remainder in 2013. Essentially, says Vice President François Picard, these amounts are used for site preparation of the new amphitheater.

baltimoreravens.png

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Ftvanouvelles.ca%2Flcn%2Finfos%2Fregional%2Farchives%2F2011%2F11%2F20111117-181620.html%3Futm_source%3Dtwitterfeed%26utm_medium%3Dtwitter&act=url

The executive committee of the Quebec City releases $ 50 million for work on the construction of the new amphitheater.

Of this amount, it is anticipated that approximately $ 19 million will be spent in 2012 and the remainder in 2013. Essentially, says Vice President François Picard, these amounts are used for site preparation of the new amphitheater.

Things are looking good then in QC, all they need to do now is secure a team!!

Things are looking good then in QC, all they need to do now is secure a team!!

We shouldn't have to wait much longer.

spacer.png

Just started watching the Ducks @ Coyotes game. They first showed a low down angle that looked like most of the arena was packed, until the camera turned some more to reveal empty seats.

They really need to start WWE'ing it.

Just started watching the Ducks @ Coyotes game. They first showed a low down angle that looked like most of the arena was packed, until the camera turned some more to reveal empty seats.

Why they haven't just tarped off the upper deck is beyond me.

Why they haven't just tarped off the upper deck is beyond me.

... and use one side of the arena with a big screen and have the players come in with their own music and have the announcer call it a cage match.

I saw, I came, I left.

The NHL could do worse than bringing in old WCW/WWE guys to help out in the front office.

Tully Blanchard to do Shanahan's job, especially. "For this elbow to the head, as well as the fact that he has been suspended several times for similar offenses, Matt Cooke will be placed into THE TREE OF WOE until he submits. Plus five games."

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I was at the Ducks/Yotes game. It was $1 hotdog/soda/beer night.

The upper deck was actually pretty full. The problems came at each endzone and the top of the lower bowl. And honestly, besides all of the obvious that's been stated ad nauseum in each incarnation of this thread, I think a lot of if has to do with the pricing. Upper deck starts at $35 face value. I got mine for $15 dollars. Almost every upper deck ticket on StubHub and the Coyotes official ticket exchange was under that face value. Lower bowl starts at $60 or $65 I believe.

Eh, besides the Ducks sucking ass through a hose and that obnoxious Coyote howl (literally at any time it is a semi-positive result, echoed by some drunk, middle-aged woman 3-rows behind me), I had a good time. $1 beer night is a great idea. It's only 10 oz and two per person with each trip, but hey, it's $1 beer, and if you time your tv timeout runs up the stairs right, you can get your beer and be back to your seat before the trivia question is answered. And that's a great thing :lol:

EDIT to add picture of "9,124" people:

2cf2b54bcd1d52287234411cbfd55dac-getty-134011603.jpg

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

The upper deck was actually pretty full. The problems came at each endzone and the top of the lower bowl. And honestly, besides all of the obvious that's been stated ad nauseum in each incarnation of this thread, I think a lot of if has to do with the pricing. Upper deck starts at $35 face value. I got mine for $15 dollars. Almost every upper deck ticket on StubHub and the Coyotes official ticket exchange was under that face value. Lower bowl starts at $60 or $65 I believe.

Eh, besides the Ducks sucking ass through a hose and that obnoxious Coyote howl (literally at any time it is a semi-positive result, echoed by some drunk, middle-aged woman 3-rows behind me), I had a good time. $1 beer night is a great idea. It's only 10 oz and two per person with each trip, but hey, it's $1 beer, and if you time your tv timeout runs up the stairs right, you can get your beer and be back to your seat before the trivia question is answered. And that's a great thing :lol:

Really if this was a picture to advertise the NHL around the world, we have no hope....

Besides people are clutching onto straws, convinced that a little over 9,000 is acceptable, if any arena in the North of the US or Canada got 9,000, their would be uproar, come on sort it out Bettman!

Really if this was a picture to advertise the NHL around the world, we have no hope....

Besides people are clutching onto straws, convinced that a little over 9,000 is acceptable, if any arena in the North of the US or Canada got 9,000, their would be uproar, come on sort it out Bettman!

New Jersey and Long Island are not considered to be in the northern US?

The Devils are often ridiculed for their sub-par attendance, and the Islanders are often in the NHL relocation discussion (I'm still holding out for the Kansas City Islanders myself, just because I think the Utah/New Orleans/Charlotte NBA discussion deserves a sequel :upside: ).

The thing about the Devils is that when they were based out of the Meadowlands, they were running a tidy little operation where no, there wasn't a ton of money coming in, but there was never a ton going out, either. When the Devils moved to Newark, they took on a huge load of debt to build the new arena, where price points drastically went up across the board without a commensurate increase in demand. You're charging more, they're not buying, and oh you have millions in debt to pay down. That's how the Devils have gotten themselves in such trouble. The Devils would've been able to run an acceptable niche-team model without people screaming "oh my god they have to move" if they had stayed at the Meadowlands. PRO TIP: if the real estate bubble is going to swallow you whole, make sure your untenably expensive real estate isn't in freakin' Newark.

I can see the exact same fate befalling the Islanders, but they do not have the option of staying in their building.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/11/22/another-gta-option-for-nhl

On Markham:

Indeed, in an interview with Bauer chairman Graeme Roustan on Tuesday night, the man spearheading the project along with Toronto-area real estate mogul Rudy Bratty, he seemed very sincere when insisting this is to be an entertainment/concert venue, not a building designed to have an NHL team as its prime tenant.

Having said that, it's impossible not to connect the dots here.

On Quebec City:

Sure, behind closed doors, the NHL isn't actually jumping through hoops to place a second team in the southern Ontario market, even if many of us feel that it is an inevitability down the road. In fact, according to league sources, the NHL's priority -- when and if the next franchise relocates -- is to return professional hockey to Quebec City, a community that sells out the antiquated Colisee for it's annual pee wee tournament.

Either way, looks like something big it bound to happen.

baltimoreravens.png

Oh, there's no question it's going to be Quebec City over Markham. It's silly to pretend there's ever going to be a team in Markham. While either relocation would represent an encroachment of sorts--the Canadiens and Nordiques will share all of Quebec and New Brunswick's TV sets the way the Astros and Rangers do in Texas--Quebec City will be far more amenable to the Molsons than Markham would be to MLSE. I'm going to make a bold prediction and say we'll never see another NHL team anywhere in Ontario.

Yeah, I meant other than the two we already have.

More likely than an actual Hamilton team would be the Sabres "reaching out to their underserved Southern Ontario fanbase" by getting telecasts somewhere on the region's basic/extended cable systems. In other words, squatting. Not sure what the CTRC's rules on such a thing would be, but you'll see them re-assert (or even assert in the first place) their commitment to the region if talks start getting loud, and then that will be that.

New Jersey and Long Island are not considered to be in the northern US?

Yes I would like to think so........ but they both average roughly 13,000-14,000 respectively, still 4,000-5,000 more than that dismal Arizona hockey club!!

Yeah, I meant other than the two we already have.

More likely than an actual Hamilton team would be the Sabres "reaching out to their underserved Southern Ontario fanbase" by getting telecasts somewhere on the region's basic/extended cable systems. In other words, squatting. Not sure what the CTRC's rules on such a thing would be, but you'll see them re-assert (or even assert in the first place) their commitment to the region if talks start getting loud, and then that will be that.

And even if they were discussing putting another team in Ontario, I'm sure Hamilton would come heads above Markham.... besides the Maple Leafs wouldn't allow a team so close to Toronto, if Hamilton is struggling then Markham will really struggle!