NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Do you GTA kids have a Five Guys yet?

Also, yes, if I don't feel like driving 45 minutes for a decent burger, the Triple O's is pricily amazing.

Licks has the best burgers on the planet. Even burping sometime afterwards causes one to relive the joy of eating that burger... :wub:

tigercatssignature-1.png

Found on the HF Boards

http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/Zo.../127382/public

Google translate:

Many rumors about the return of the Nordiques!

Big weekend of rumors on the sidelines of the meeting of Governors of the NHL currently taking place at Pebble Beach in California.

First is Mario Roy (organizer of the March Blue and columnist for the Journal de Quebec) who wrote on Tweeter yesterday that one of the two buyers who wanted to buy and keep the Coyotes in Phoenix (Jamieson) had withdrawn.

Today, a well known financial advisor, Stephen Heath, who is also a former employee of the Nordiques, wrote about Tweeter that there would be a formal offer from a club in the NHL in Quebec City that would just signed.

Finally, the "famous" Eklund (whose credibility is often challenged, I admit) wrote on his blog "Meanwhile in Quebec ... The Arena IS getting built and There Are Who sources tell me the NHL HAS ITS Given Approval and wink -wink, nudge nudge, ... "

Add to that the realignment of conferences which, according to Hockey Night in Canada, will be proposed at the meeting this weekend. Realignment is unbalanced (16 teams in the west and 14 in the east) and the Coyotes permetre being transferred to the east.

baltimoreravens.png

Found on the HF Boards

Google translate:

Big weekend of rumors on the sidelines of the meeting of Governors of the NHL currently taking place at Pebble Beach in California.

First is Mario Roy (organizer of the March Blue and columnist for the Journal de Quebec) who wrote on Tweeter yesterday that one of the two buyers who wanted to buy and keep the Coyotes in Phoenix (Jamieson) had withdrawn.

Today, a well known financial advisor, Stephen Heath, who is also a former employee of the Nordiques, wrote about Tweeter that there would be a formal offer from a club in the NHL in Quebec City that would just signed.

Finally, the "famous" Eklund (whose credibility is often challenged, I admit) wrote on his blog "Meanwhile in Quebec ... The Arena IS getting built and There Are Who sources tell me the NHL HAS ITS Given Approval and wink -wink, nudge nudge, ... "

Add to that the realignment of conferences which, according to Hockey Night in Canada, will be proposed at the meeting this weekend. Realignment is unbalanced (16 teams in the west and 14 in the east) and the Coyotes permetre being transferred to the east.

I wonder what happened with that so-called "deadline" from Bettman and the BoG last Thursday (I think). :unsure:

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Found on the HF Boards

Google translate:

I wonder what happened with that so-called "deadline" from Bettman and the BoG last Thursday (I think). :unsure:

The NHL knows they're losing money, yet you have a potential owner with deep pockets, and a fan base that has still gone strong. The league has seen what Winnipeg has done, imagine the possibilities with Quebec back.

baltimoreravens.png

The NHL has never considered any of their "final deadlines" for the Coyotes to be anything close to that.

Still, I believe the runaway success in Winnipeg must be making them take a closer look at Quebec City. If nothing else, we've leaned that a smaller market that is already crazy about the sport can trump a large market that couldn't care less.

The deadline has been "last Thursday" for like three years!

It's not just a hockey-mad small market, it's a hockey-mad small market where the owners are making money in multiple places. Whereas True North controls every virtually revenue stream related to the Jets and downtown Winnipeg entertainment, the key for Quebecor is that the Nordiques will anchor an entire sports channel, one that by my rough math will reach at least nine, maybe ten million people (Quebec, New Brunswick, Ottawa-Gatineau). While your immediate market is small, the expanded media market is equal to Montreal's.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If the Coyotes do relocate to Quebec City in the next few years they could easily fit into what is currently being called 'Conference C' along with Toronto, Ottawa, Boston, Montreal, Buffalo, Tampa Bay and Florida. With the new format it gives the NHL less of a headache if they decide on expansion in the coming years, even if the Coyotes do stay in Glendale and say Quebec City get an expansion team in a few years, they can also fit right in 'C'. I think by implementing this new realignment, the NHL could be welcoming back Quebec City very soon... You never know but this could be the start of a 32 team NHL.

There are too many teams that need to get their houses in order (Columbus, NY Islanders, Florida, Dallas, St. Louis) before we can start talking expansion. Also, the economy needs to get out of the dumper, and that doesn't appear to be happening any time soon. Not saying that either is a probability, but I'd say you're more likely to see fewer teams in the NHL than more by 2020.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

There's not enough talent for 32 teams unless you know something I don't about the KHL ceasing to exist. There also are not and will never be 32 locations capable of supporting the NHL. There aren't even 30 right now.

Contraction would be a public relations cataclysm and would make the NHL look even more bush-league than moving five more teams to Canada. They're never going to admit failure on that level. They'll unload the Coyotes, then continue juggling the rest of their problems indefinitely.

Actually, expansion to 32 markets would be fine - if all the teams were in the right 32 markets. Houston, Kansas City, Quebec City and Hamilton each have groups interested in bringing the NHL to their area. So move Phoenix to one of them, move another struggling franchise to another, and expand to the other two. It's not necessarily a perfect solution, but it could still work.

nav-logo.png