NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

I wish they could've found a way to stay in that area, but they had literal decades to figure it out.

I know they went through the thing with Spano and Wang was a wang and Long Island's politics are a maze of red tape, but still they should've been able to make it happen. The Barclays Center is not a suitable hockey venue.

...the ownership issues went back at least to the late 80's (maybe '87 or '88) which didn't help anything get done earlier. To save from writing the usual tome that no one would read Wang made some gross miscalculations and put all of his eggs in the wrong basket. They could have had a new arena and I have it on about as good authority as one can get that if Wang proposed an arena and not the lighthouse abomination this series would have been played in the new arena. A new NVMC should have happened and all this aside and maybe for no rational reason I feel as though there is going to be a disconnect between the current fan base and the franchise once this playoff ride is over almost like we're not going to be welcome in Barclay's.

I really don't get all of the uproar about the Isles leaving Nassau. Sightlines issues aside, I think that moving to the city is the best possible thing for the franchise. Personally, I think it's something they should've always considered, rather than a last resort. New York is a busy place with no shortage of entertainment options in the city, and nobody is going to give a :censored: about you if you're all the way out on "Lawn Guyland". If they keep playing like they did this year, maybe the Isles will find their way out of irrelevance with the move to Brooklyn.

He complained about the black alternates, celebrated when they were retired, and then toward the end of this year, said it was ridiculous that the Isles weren't going to wear white at home one last time. He should post here.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I really don't get all of the uproar about the Isles leaving Nassau. Sightlines issues aside, I think that moving to the city is the best possible thing for the franchise. Personally, I think it's something they should've always considered, rather than a last resort. New York is a busy place with no shortage of entertainment options in the city, and nobody is going to give a :censored: about you if you're all the way out on "Lawn Guyland". If they keep playing like they did this year, maybe the Isles will find their way out of irrelevance with the move to Brooklyn.

Yeah, they'll be fine. Islanders fans could've sold out their local building for years to create demand... & did not.

Besides, it's not like they're moving to Las Vegas or Seattle.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

Howie Rose is pissed off about the Islanders' Nassau demise: http://nypost.com/2015/04/24/howie-rose-angry-pissed-off-over-islanders-leaving-coliseum/ I feel the same way that he does. Leaving the Coliseum was inevitable; it's a dump. But it's sad and aggravating that Long Island will no longer be a major league town once the Islanders are done in the playoffs.

Are we seriously pretending Long Island is a town rather than a giant suburb?

Not really. But now we're just like every other suburb. Having a major professional sports team here was pretty damn cool.

Yeah, they'll be fine. Islanders fans could've sold out their local building for years to create demand... & did not.

Well, it could've helped if the Islanders had more than 3 or so good seasons since 1995 to create some demand among the non-diehards, but alas..

I mean, I'm fine with the move to Brooklyn because hey, it's not Kansas City or Vegas! But you can already see a disconnect between older fans like my father and the team with the move to Brooklyn and that they're already saying they're not going to games. On the brighter side, though, the Islanders fanbase has grown with the younger adult crowd in the past 3 seasons. And given us young adult Long Islanders already are taking the LIRR for a night on the town to Manhattan/Rockville Centre/The Hamptons for a Sunday Funday at Bordy Barn anyway, I don't think the move to Brooklyn will be a problem for us younger folks. So there's still that bright side, but even still a large chunk of the fanbase isn't going to make the trip to Barclays.

All that said, I still think we're looking at a move back to Nassau after they get this renovation done like 5 years from now and Ratner, et al. decide the move to Barclays didn't work as well as they thought so they'll bring them back to their other property in the new Coliseum.

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

Well, it could've helped if the Islanders had more than 3 or so good seasons since 1995 to create some demand among the non-diehards, but alas..

I mean, I'm fine with the move to Brooklyn because hey, it's not Kansas City or Vegas! But you can already see a disconnect between older fans like my father and the team with the move to Brooklyn and that they're already saying they're not going to games. On the brighter side, though, the Islanders fanbase has grown with the younger adult crowd in the past 3 seasons. And given us young adult Long Islanders already are taking the LIRR for a night on the town to Manhattan/Rockville Centre/The Hamptons for a Sunday Funday at Bordy Barn anyway, I don't think the move to Brooklyn will be a problem for us younger folks. So there's still that bright side, but even still a large chunk of the fanbase isn't going to make the trip to Barclays.

All that said, I still think we're looking at a move back to Nassau after they get this renovation done like 5 years from now and Ratner, et al. decide the move to Barclays didn't work as well as they thought so they'll bring them back to their other property in the new Coliseum.

They have like a 20 or 25 year lease at Barclays.

There's an out-clause after 5 years.

The thing is they were always Long Island's team. They didn't have to share it with NYC.

spacer.png

Ownership didn't give us much reason to show up for close to two decades unlike Leafs or Cubs fans (many of whom are full on masochists) most people won't show up if the product put out for consumption is garbage especially when done so for years.

I've never been fine with the move because it all was so preventable. I'd rather they be in Brooklyn than Seattle but at the same time they're now second fiddle in the city. I wonder if the Islanders are going to be looked at in a similar way to the Nets but only time will tell there. I've been noticing the disconnect for awhile and while I can't say I wouldn't go to a game in Brooklyn it's a lot less convenient for me when I'm back on the Island. Why spend $19 r/t for the LIRR when I could drive 15-20 minutes and pay $12 to park in the Coliseum lot? The one question I have even for the younger set is will you be willing to take on that added expense (or that of driving and parking in Brooklyn) as opposed to what it was? Since I don't get to see the local marketing I also wonder if any of it is focused on Long Island at all or is it all now focused to the city?

One thing that's interesting is that when I was growing up there was a generational gap in a sense that most of my friends are Islander fans because there's always been a team but their parents are Ranger fans because that's what was there and there were no Islanders. Now there's a new generational disconnect.

As for moving back to a renovated Nassau...I love your optimism but I don't see it happening. Bettman was quoted in Newsday the other day saying he'd heard a lot of plans from the County to try and keep the team in Uniondale but nothing came to fruition and they'd had a long time to get things done. I don't agree with him on a lot but I think he's right on this. Going way back to the late 80's and into the early 90's the building was falling apart and the County failed to even do basic maintenance let alone any type of renovation or new building. I think it's safe to say too that unless you're Atlanta, Colorado or Winnipeg once your team leaves it's nearly impossible to get back so I think if Barclay's doesn't work out then they very well may be in Seattle or Kansas City or someplace like that.

And who the heck are these LI'ers who take the train (I'm guessing from other points on the Island) to Rockville Centre for a night on the town and where do they come from? I mean RVC is nice but I wouldn't make a special trip on the LIRR to go there.

Leases always have some way out of them even if it costs a bit to do so.

Special anti-thread mention for Puck Daddy and their lack of copy editors:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/penguins-ceo-says-gm--coach--crosby-and-malkin-all-safe-144434831.html

Johnston was brought in to make the Penguins a better playoff team; instead, they existed more quickly than they ever did under Dan Bylsma.

I suppose you could argue that they had a fleeting existence in this year's playoffs, but that's a little more profound than I'm comfortable with. I think he meant they exited quickly.

VEGAS BABY, WOOOOOOO!!!! VAY-GIS! VAY-GIS! VAY-GIS! VAY-GIS!

:(

https://news.vice.com/article/nevadas-lake-mead-is-at-its-lowest-level-ever-and-federal-authorities-say-its-going-to-get-worse?utm_source=vicenewsfb

California's record-breaking drought — the worst in over a thousand years — has captured headlines. But across the western United States, high temperatures and meager amounts of snowfall are causing havoc.

And it might be the sign of a new normal in the West.

Water levels in Nevada's Lake Mead, which powers the Hoover Dam and supplies water and power to tens of millions, dropped to historic lows this morning. According to the US Bureau of Reclamation, which built and manages hundreds of dams in the West, water levels at Lake Mead dipped to 1,080.07 feet, just below last August's record of 1,080.19 feet.

According to Reuters, the Bureau projects that water levels will continue to fall through at least the end of May, when it says levels could drop to 1,073 feet — far below the record high of 1,206 feet reached in the 1980s.

Cheap hydroelectric power and hockey fans are both plentiful to le nord-est.

VEGAS BABY, WOOOOOOO!!!! VAY-GIS! VAY-GIS! VAY-GIS! VAY-GIS!

:(

https://news.vice.com/article/nevadas-lake-mead-is-at-its-lowest-level-ever-and-federal-authorities-say-its-going-to-get-worse?utm_source=vicenewsfb

California's record-breaking drought — the worst in over a thousand years — has captured headlines. But across the western United States, high temperatures and meager amounts of snowfall are causing havoc.

And it might be the sign of a new normal in the West.

Water levels in Nevada's Lake Mead, which powers the Hoover Dam and supplies water and power to tens of millions, dropped to historic lows this morning. According to the US Bureau of Reclamation, which built and manages hundreds of dams in the West, water levels at Lake Mead dipped to 1,080.07 feet, just below last August's record of 1,080.19 feet.

According to Reuters, the Bureau projects that water levels will continue to fall through at least the end of May, when it says levels could drop to 1,073 feet — far below the record high of 1,206 feet reached in the 1980s.

Cheap hydroelectric power and hockey fans are both plentiful to le nord-est.

You're welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Nevada Black Knights.

Word on the street appears they might be a go, perhaps as early as the NHL awards taking place in Las Vegas. Potential ownership said to prefer the Nevada name which imo is silly as Las Vegas is arguably one of the most marketable city 'names' in the world.

Maybe they want to distance themselves from probable Las Vegas stereotypical persona?

That'll leave Seattle on the clock, esp if the league makes the case for playing in a city with tourists filling 40% of the building while saying they wanted more balance to the geographic alignment.

Speaking of which, how would they align them? Seattle would be nowhere except the Pacific... maybe the Nevadas will agree to the Central because they've already discussed late night home starts- which would align with the Central market yes?

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark