NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

lololololololol there will not be fewer than 85 shootouts.

EDIT: also, just to hedge, the percentage of shootouts after overtime won't go below 50%, either. 55.6% in 2014-15, 58% in 2013-14.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

No way.

3 on 3 means more ice, more chances, more odd-man rushes...mistakes won't be dangerous; they'll be deadly.

On the fly changes better be bang-on.

If the teams go all-out this will be fantastic!

However, you're right, if teams play not-to-lose... it'll suck.

I'd hope that not much more than a third of OT games go into a shoot-out.

The zamboni guys'll be able to go home early.

I'll put the percentage of shoot-outs after overtime at under 40%.

I drink Chivas.

HAVE YOU EVEN PAID ATTENTION TO THE DIRECTION NHL COACHING HAS GONE!?
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Judging by the only situation in which we see three skaters to a side in regular play, most teams are going to send two defensemen and a center out. HOO BOY, I'VE GOT GOAL FEVER!

No way.

3 on 3 means more ice, more chances, more odd-man rushes...mistakes won't be dangerous; they'll be deadly.

I drink Chivas.

3-on-3 before now produced a lot of goals because it's something coaches rarely-to-never practiced. It's a situation that rarely happened, so what little precious practice time they got wasn't wasted on 3-on-3 situations.

Now, the coaching staff has a reason to practice 3-on-3 situations because an extra point is on the line. They're going to figure out ways to slow down the game and clog up space in 3-on-3 play.

Admiral's absolutely correct. 3-on-3 play is going to get figured out pretty quickly and we'll still see well north of 100 shootouts throughout the season. Maybe not 170, but closer to that number than 85. Don't forget just how conservative coaches and teams get after January 1st. They can accept losing a shootout rather than in OT because of the ROW tiebreaker.

Also worth considering: the "extra open ice" in international play actually ends up suppressing offense in a lot of cases. Doesn't it follow that we'll see that here?

Make the goals bigger (hey, the players have gotten much bigger and faster and the goalies are more skilled and wear bigger pads, the goal size needs an inflation adjustment, too) and move icing to the defensive blue line instead of the red line (make these defensive systems defend 50 feet of ice instead of 25) and call it a day.

HAVE YOU EVEN PAID ATTENTION TO THE DIRECTION NHL COACHING HAS GONE!?

YES!!

HOO BOY, I'VE GOT GOAL FEVER!

Well then, you won't like the new system.

Rather than having the multi-goal shoot-outs, more games will be decided by one goal.

No way.

I drink Chivas.

3-on-3 before now produced a lot of goals because it's something coaches rarely-to-never practiced. It's a situation that rarely happened, so what little precious practice time they got wasn't wasted on 3-on-3 situations.

Now, the coaching staff has a reason to practice 3-on-3 situations because an extra point is on the line. They're going to figure out ways to slow down the game and clog up space in 3-on-3 play.

Admiral's absolutely correct. 3-on-3 play is going to get figured out pretty quickly and we'll still see well north of 100 shootouts throughout the season. Maybe not 170, but closer to that number than 85. Don't forget just how conservative coaches and teams get after January 1st. They can accept losing a shootout rather than in OT because of the ROW tiebreaker.

...Didn't happen in the AHL.

Also worth considering: the "extra open ice" in international play actually ends up suppressing offense in a lot of cases. Doesn't it follow that we'll see that here?

Apples and oranges. That extra ice is 42.5' away from the net!

This past season, the AHL used a hybrid system of 3 minutes of 4on4, followed by 4 minutes of 3on3.

75% of games were decided before the shootout...more than double the previous season.

I'll stand by my predictions.

Anyone run the numbers on the length of OT in those AHL games that ended before the shootout?

I mean, they have 2 more minutes of OT to work with, I'd hope the number of shootouts went down.

EDIT-Here are some midseason numbers:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/ahl-3-on-3-overtime-is-still-killing-off-shootout-205851436.html

Key numbers: 56 GWG were scored in the 3 minutes of 4 on 4. 45 GWG were scored in the 4 minutes of 3 on 3. So yes, while the number of shootouts did go down, it is telling to me that fewer goals were actually scored during 3 on 3 play, despite there being an extra minute to work with.

Anyone who is pretending straight 3 on 3 will kill the shootout may be under some delusion.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Don't forget just how conservative coaches and teams get after January 1st. They can accept losing a shootout rather than in OT because of the ROW tiebreaker.

Bingo. If you lose in the shootout, you get a point and the other team gets a win that counts less. Most of all, you can't say you did anything wrong.

You want to kill the shootout, kill the loser point. Keep breaking ties in the win column with ROWs, sure, but stop padding the points and teams will play to win.

• Like 1

NBCSN cut away from the Coyotes' pick at #30 to show a Women's 100M Dash from some club track competition at Nikegon.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

NBCSN cut away from the Coyotes' pick at #30 to show a Women's 100M Dash from some club track competition at Nikegon.

The NHL Draft: more important than a car auction, not as important as club track and field.

VmWIn6B.png

The NHL Draft: more important than a car auction, not as important as club track and field.

I figure part of the TV deal is Bettman gets a 5-second delay button so he can kill any negative comments about the Coyotes before they air.

The default backup for NBCSN must be that Universal Sports Network...

• Like 1

The Coyotes just traded for Chris Pronger's cap hit so they can make the salary floor. This is allowed, somehow!

Screenshot_2015-06-27-15-19-06-1_zpsglgi

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Key numbers: 56 GWG were scored in the 3 minutes of 4 on 4. 45 GWG were scored in the 4 minutes of 3 on 3. So yes, while the number of shootouts did go down, it is telling to me that fewer goals were actually scored during 3 on 3 play, despite there being an extra minute to work with.

Anyone who is pretending straight 3 on 3 will kill the shootout may be under some delusion.

Hang on there one minute, ramalamadingdong...

136 games go into 4on4 overtime and there's 56 "game-winners"....That's a success rate of 41%.

80 games make it into 3on3 OT, where there's 45 "game-winners" ...That's a success rate of 56%.

I'll swing by this neighbourhood around All-Star time next year, and you can attempt to call me "delusional" then.

Don't forget just how conservative coaches and teams get after January 1st. They can accept losing a shootout rather than in OT because of the ROW tiebreaker.

Bingo. If you lose in the shootout, you get a point and the other team gets a win that counts less. Most of all, you can't say you did anything wrong.

You want to kill the shootout, kill the loser point. Keep breaking ties in the win column with ROWs, sure, but stop padding the points and teams will play to win.

Yeah, that would work, but aren't we looking to be entertained?

Several years ago I treated a rep team that I was coaching to a year-end 3on3 tourny.

3on3....change on the fly...no face-offs...clear the zone after a goal....

Even when a penalty was called, the play kept on, and the "offended" team was awarded a penalty shot in a game-end shoot-out.

(So if my team had 2 penalties, the other team had 2 shots)

Anyway, it was fantastic non-stop action...chances galore!

I can remember addressing the parents in the lobby after the game.

These were battle-hardened rep parents that had been-there, done-that.

They couldn't contain their enthusiasm.

We do the 3on3 thing every year now.

I can almost guarantee you admiral, that the 3on3 OT will be the most exciting part of the game.

And if you're worried about coaches ruining this with some sort of "super-system"...well don't.

The fewer players on the ice; the harder it is to implement a "system'.

It'll be chaotic, fast and fun, and I'm convinced that it'll work.

This is fantastic for the world.

Among Pronger, Yandle, and Ribeiro, the Coyotes have about $9.5 million in dead cap space. This is worse than the time the Islanders traded for Tim Thomas while he quit the league to go free-stating in a Michigan forest or whatever the hell he did. And we're supposed to give this team revenue sharing!