NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

http://nypost.com/2015/06/30/arizona-coyotes-to-move-to-las-vegas-under-new-owner/

Sin City is getting hockey, two sources close to the situation told The Post.

The NHL is arranging the sale of the Arizona Coyotes to billionaire William Foley who will move the team to Las Vegas giving it its first major professional franchise, one source said.

“Las Vegas has reached 10,000 season ticket deposits,” enough to justify a franchise, the other source said.

Foley said in January that he needed 10,000 ticket deposits to get an NHL team.

Foley will move them for the 2016-17 season, the source said. The Post last year was the first to report Foley was backing a Vegas franchise.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Genuine question: How much can the Post be trusted here? I know they're a New York tabloid, but would they be decent on their sourcing with a story like this one?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Consider the source, but if true, great. Trade one desert market for another (one that short of a game fixing scandal couldn't possibly be more of an embarrassment). Then expand to Quebec and Seattle and call it a day.

Seeing some unusually strong language refuting this, so it would appear to be the Post being the Post.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I was thinking the same thing. It would have more credibility to me if it was Larry Brooks' story because it's The Post and all... but that said the sports section is usually pretty accurate as is Page Six but the rest of the paper is pretty dubious. Of course you'd see some strong language refuting it the whole trying to sell tickets thing...yeah, who are we kidding it's Glendale they're refuting it so that lady from the city council meeting won't lay into them like she did to the mayor.

My Facebook feed had this article right under the Las Vegas report, when Bettman denied Thrashers relocation. But it is the New York Post.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6536272

The other thing that leads me to be skeptical is the moving in 2016-17. I would think the MGM Grand Garden Arena, leftover dates at Thomas and Mack, or even playing at multiple venues in Vegas until new arena is done would be better than a full lame duck season in Arizona. I can't remember a 100% lame duck season in any major league level sport besides the NFL (Houston Oilers twice: last year in Houston and year in Memphis). I looked up several team relocations and all of them except Houston seemed to gave some hope to staying in the old city during the last season. Seattle Sonics seemed to be the closest but they still had the lawsuit to make them stay and hope to somehow get a new arena in that time.

This is getting to be almost as good as the Lake County Fielders saga. Anybody remember that one? (If you don't: Long story short as I remember: A group tried to put a minor league team in the far Chicago suburbs. They had no money, played for 2 years out of 2 temporary stadiums on the same site, had 20-30 game road trips as far as Hawaii where managers had to pay out of pocket for luggage fees and food money, and the PBP guy quit on the air after a game. Kevin Costner was supposed to be part of ownership group but was not.)

lake%20county%20fielders1.jpg

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

This is getting to be almost as good as the Lake County Fielders saga. Anybody remember that one?

Remember it? I was tangentially in it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

...that's it? How much oxy are we talking here? Like distribution-level?

Has to be, right? You don't flat out terminate a contract over simple possession. It has to be more. This is so strange.

TMZ said he got picked up on June 17. Lombardi and the Kings said they didn't know until Friday at the Draft, June 26.

Perhaps someone from up north can verify this but from what I read Oxy is banned in Canada so that may make this a bit more of an issue.

VmWIn6B.png

...that's it? How much oxy are we talking here? Like distribution-level?

Has to be, right? You don't flat out terminate a contract over simple possession. It has to be more. This is so strange.

TMZ said he got picked up on June 17. Lombardi and the Kings said they didn't know until Friday at the Draft, June 26.

Perhaps someone from up north can verify this but from what I read Oxy is banned in Canada so that may make this a bit more of an issue.

It's "banned" here, too, without a prescription. If he had a doctor's prescription and was carrying a normal amount for personal use, I don't think it would be a big issue trying to bring it into Canada. They may not let you, but I don't think they'd send you to jail.

Seeing some unusually strong language refuting this, so it would appear to be the Post being the Post.

Considering that this is the NHL, unusually strong language refuting it usually means that the story is probably near spot on....

tigercatssignature-1.png

Considering that this is the NHL, unusually strong language refuting it usually means that the story is probably near spot on....

That's my reaction as well. The harder they deny, the more likely it is to be true. Ladies and Gents, your Las Vegas Coyotes!

Deadspin comes to the same conclusion as many have here. The denials are definitely very... telling.

http://deadspin.com/report-says-coyotes-are-moving-to-vegas-but-nhl-calls-1715093618

As they say, someone is going to end up with egg on their face. And if I were a betting man I wouldn't bet on the Post being the ones cleaning uncooked omelet off themselves.

If Vegas has to have an NHL squad at least the Coyotes resemble some semblance of a hockey team (player wise) instead of some crappy expansion team they could end up with.

uhh, you sure? They just signed Anders Lindback.

Usually I would be inclined to write off the Post story. The strong denials from the NHL, however, make sense when you realize that the Coyotes are currently involved in a legal case with the city of Glendale. Announcing that the team will pick up and go elsewhere might hurt the league's chances of getting as much money out of Glendale as possible before turning tail and running.

Usually I would be inclined to write off the Post story. The strong denials from the NHL, however, make sense when you realize that the Coyotes are currently involved in a legal case with the city of Glendale. Announcing that the team will pick up and go elsewhere might hurt the league's chances of getting as much money out of Glendale as possible before turning tail and running.

That's why they fought so hard to hide the fact that the Thrashers were being evicted. They needed to scare Glendale into giving them the $25 million "insurance policy" or else the team would move to Winnipeg, while the league knew full well that they had another mess on their hands and would probably send that team to Winnipeg. Man, things would have been so fun if Glendale had called the NHL's bluff and sent the Thrashers to who-knows-where.

If Vegas has to have an NHL squad at least the Coyotes resemble some semblance of a hockey team (player wise) instead of some crappy expansion team they could end up with.

uhh, you sure? They just signed Anders Lindback.
OK completely ignore everything I just wrote.