NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Yeah, the emotionless cost/benefit analysis here apparently says having one of the world's 5 best offensive players active outweighs maybe a couple dozen people returning their tickets (or better yet, reselling them on the official NHL Ticket Exchange) and unloading their jerseys. Ben Roethlisberger didn't even do short-term damage to the Steelers, after all. Plus, there's language in the CBA regarding training camp attendance that can be interpreted as tying the Hawks' hands here.

I don't want to cheer for a Blackhawks team with Patrick Kane on it, but I also don't have any money to spend on the Blackhawks, so my feelings on the matter don't mean dogcrap.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Could it also be that women in general, paradoxically speaking, don't have the same instant reaction to rape allegations as people in The Movement (which, by its own admission, is [also paradoxically] dominated by white men)? I think it's easy to get caught up in the echo chamber and forget there's a whole world out there where things aren't always as simple as you think they ought to be. Chrissie Hynde is taking all kinds of crap for her inward blame, but it's not always coming from where you'd expect.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You must not read jezebel.com.

Also, I get the point you're making, but I'd question if it's one you want to.

The accused deserve due process, of course, but I don't know that they also deserve defense against internet white knights, whether they're real or imagined.

EDIT - FWIW, I don't read jezebel.com. It's a whole lot of good intentions completely lost by pages and pages of strongly worded, tribal group think. You'd think that'd be up my alley but it's not.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Sadly, I do read Jezebel, but again, there are perspectives out there beyond that of their target audience.

The white knights are real as far as Blackhawks fandom goes. Our leading alternative Hawks blog has been crusading against the ice crew wearing skirts because apparently it's demeaning and apparently we're back in the Victorian era where we can't trust women to show their legs in public. With this, they've been barring blog comments on Kane talk because they don't feel anyone should be allowed to challenge them on it, which is their right, it's their dance floor, but it's still mad dickish.

It's frustrating, because I personally think Kane is guilty, but I don't want to and never want to engage in the pissing contest of who can be the most righteous. That's always my problem.

• Like 1

Sadly, I do read Jezebel, but again, there are perspectives out there beyond that of their target audience.

The white knights are real as far as Blackhawks fandom goes. Our leading alternative Hawks blog has been crusading against the ice crew wearing skirts because apparently it's demeaning and

apparently we're back in the Victorian era where we can't trust women to show their legs in public. With this, they've been barring blog comments on Kane talk because they don't feel anyone should

be allowed to challenge them on it, which is their right, it's their dance floor, but it's still mad dickish.

It's frustrating, because I personally think Kane is guilty, but I don't want to and never want to

engage in the pissing contest of who can be the most righteous. That's always my problem.

Reminds me of Fear the Fin after the Jets Katy Perry chant, just whining and whining about how it demeans women, etc. It was a silly chant, nothing more. Also they seem to not like people who don't want sports and politics to mix. Yeah, like when I watch and/or read about hockey and other sports I also want to hear about the hornets nest that are political issues.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

It was funny because Katy Perry is a Zooey Deschanel wax figure that farts cotton candy rainbows and dances with awkward sharks. If people heckled Todd Marchant by calling him Natalie Merchant, it wouldn't have much punch. Tigerlily was a thoughtful and well-crafted album.

It was funny because Katy Perry is a Zooey Deschanel wax figure that farts cotton candy rainbows and dances with awkward sharks.

I can think of two other magnificent differences between them.

To go along with what you're saying, literally all of the opinions I've gotten on this from women have been against the accuser (without even knowing the details). I haven't taken a stance because we don't actually know any of the details yet, and I think saying "she's just looking for money" is just as bad as saying "I just know he raped this girl because he's a douchebag." Still, the opinions of all the female hockey fans with whom I've discussed it was that Kane was likely innocent. And sure, it's not a big sample size, just some ladies at work. But these are educated professionals, not the toothless trailerfolk our local sports leader likes to pretend makes up the entirety of hockey fandom. In summation, it's more than just bros calling her a gold-digger.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Yeah, I've seen a few female Kane defenders, though I try to steer clear of the froth, just because it always ends up being sad/infuriating/garbage. The defense line is always "We don't know all the facts yet!", which is convenient, because unless someone magically had their smartphone recording for several hours straight, yeah, we're never going to have all the facts. Just physical evidence that's very open to interpretation, and the accounts of two people who were under the influence of alcohol, at least one of whom has a vested interest in all the facts not coming out. Thusly, why it's so hard to get a guilty verdict in a rape case.

Anyway, sex assault or not, this past month has taught me that Patrick Kane is a drunk :censored: hole and the Blackhawks are buffoons if they knew he was still being a drunk :censored: hole regularly and offered him a max contract anyway because at least he was keeping it quiet this time around. Sports!

• Like 1

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Don't Toews and Kane share representation? I suspect the Blackhawks did not have much leverage in negotiating separate terms. Kane doesn't deserve that much money because he's a belligerent alcoholic who brings shame to every person, place, and thing he associates with, and Toews doesn't deserve that much money because he decides not to score goals for a month at a time, but we really truly had to have them both.

It was funny because Katy Perry is a Zooey Deschanel wax figure that farts cotton candy rainbows and dances with awkward sharks. If people heckled Todd Marchant by calling him Natalie Merchant, it wouldn't have much punch. Tigerlily was a thoughtful and well-crafted album.

I'm shocked that a "Juicy Couture" chant at Logan hasn't become commonplace.

VmWIn6B.png

The path this case has taken is basically the hardest to feel good about as a fan, and it also sucks for the Blackhawks. There's this thing hanging out there, all ethereal-like, but there's no charges, no grand jury... nothing really. I believe all that's been said officially is that it's under investigation. I think the most likely end for all of this is he pays her, she refuses to testify, and everyone signs twelve NDAs. It feels icky, but I don't blame them for turning a blind eye for the time being. Honestly, I'm done looking to my sports leagues for justice. If there aren't even any charges brought, the anger should be directed towards the legal system, not the Blackhawks or the NHL.

I don't know. We keep on the analysis and realize the ridiculousness of trying to obtain justice from a big institution like a major sports league, yet we keep on helping the wheel turn. Hopefully there could be some kind of definitive evidence from this entire boondoggle that can give fans a pretty good idea on whether or not he did it, but like cosmic said, the only sure we're sure of is some woman's bank account getting a whole lot larger.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Yeah, I've seen a few female Kane defenders, though I try to steer clear of the froth, just because it always ends up being sad/infuriating/garbage. The defense line is always "We don't know all the facts yet!", which is convenient, because unless someone magically had their smartphone recording for several hours straight, yeah, we're never going to have all the facts. Just physical evidence that's very open to interpretation, and the accounts of two people who were under the influence of alcohol, at least one of whom has a vested interest in all the facts not coming out. Thusly, why it's so hard to get a guilty verdict in a rape case.

Anyway, sex assault or not, this past month has taught me that Patrick Kane is a drunk :censored: hole and the Blackhawks are buffoons if they knew he was still being a drunk :censored: hole regularly and offered him a max contract anyway because at least he was keeping it quiet this time around. Sports!

But we don't! And I'm not on the defense. I think this certainly doesn't look good for Kane, and even if he skates on this (see what I did there?) the Hawks need to think long and hard about their future with him. But to take bits and pieces of media leaks as gospel is silly. And ultimately, it doesn't matter because I'm neither a New York judge or juror. My opinion, which will be formed after we actually know details other than those either party strategically leaked to the press, will be meaningless in this. I don't regularly go to Blackhawks games. I watch them on TV and occasionally buy a t-shirt. Me deciding to stop doing either wouldn't hurt the team one bit. But I don't see how calling off the torch mob until something happens one way or another is a bad thing.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I've gotten the feeling McDonough knows a lot more than we do. If this were as cut and dried as it would seem to be, a public relations mastermind like McDonough wouldn't blow this the way we all thought he was. If there's a "positive" outcome here, I hope it's not giving a rape victim a burlap sack of money, because that isn't positive at all.

Incidentally, in the wake of all this, I believe the ice crew has been made to cover their whorish legs.

Let's all appreciate the questions together, shall we?

So I see the Blackhawks are getting raked over the coals on Twitter for the Patrick Kane press conference.

Obviously, yes, if you're going to put him out there for questions, put him out there for all the questions. Don't put the issue on the side and talk about winning the Stanley Cup and the history of Notre Dame. The Blackhawks were stupid to put him out there at all. They'd be criticized for that too, but it would've caused less mess. And he was never going to go out and answer all the questions while a grand jury is looming either, so yeah.

They can't trade him because he has a no trade.

They can't terminate the contract until the Mike Richards/NHLPA v. Kings case is decided, because it hasn't actually been decided if they can legally do that or not.

So, I don't know what people want the Blackhawks to do. Until he's charged/arrested/indicted, they really can't do anything. I'm sure they'd love to lay low in the media, but they're defending Stanley Cup Champs and training camp just opened. The Blackhawks and you the fans just have to strap in for the :censored: show

• Like 1

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

No press conference. Prepared, written statement. At the end of it, "There will be no questions taken on the matter, as we as an organization defer to the ongoing investigation." Done.

There's no "good" way to handle this, but Jeezus, Blackhawks, stop going out of your way to actively make yourselves look worse.

• Like 1

I didn't hear any of the press conference, but I can't imagine who thought it was a good idea. I mean, if they wanted to bring Kane in, just have everybody say "it's an ongoing legal matter and this organization won't discuss it at this time," then have Kane do his best Marshawn Lynch impression when asked about it.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Patrick Kane will be available for the media's hockey-related questions again today. If this is McDonough's idea of putting him in the stocks and punishing him, he obviousky doesn't realize how oblivious he's making the whole organization look in this.