NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Have the DA or police yet commented on the supposed missing rape kit?

Yeah, Hamburg said nothing's their fault regarding the evidence. Helpful, I know.

I'm inclined to think there won't be any charges now.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yep, for a DA who has bigger political ambitions, a track record of not prosecuting on any case that isn't cut-and-dry, and the potential of it all combining in the highest-profile case of his career, this is his escape hatch. "Evidence compromised jury won't convict kthxbai."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Apparently, the accuser's lawyer thinks a good Samaritan delivered them the bag. It was only the bag which originally contained the kit, not the actual kit. He thinks someone did this to show that the kit was tampered with. They showed the actual bag at the press conference, so he does have it. Someone gave it to them, but who knows who, how, why, or if it means the kit was tampered with. This is insane.

Also, we've gotten no statements from Kane yet. We don't know if he told the police they had consensual sex or none at all. If he denied having sex with her, I'd say the rape kit being inadmissible would pretty much close this case completely.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Apparently, the accuser's lawyer thinks a good Samaritan delivered them the bag. It was only the bag which originally contained the kit, not the entire kit. He thinks someone did this to show that the kit was tampered with. This is insane.

Huh?!? If anything, it would be an intimidation tactic, whether real or staged.

They don't have to. This has not hurt their bottom line one penny. Despite the disastrous PR, people are still begging to hand money to them and will continue to do so until the team is really bad.

UPDATE: Erie County Central Police Services says they have the rape kit, sealed, in its original packaging. What. In. The. Hell.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

You're closer than I am: what's the root of Bernstein's antipathy for the Blackhawks? He talks a big game about wanting the media to hold them accountable, which is fine in and of itself, but he happily acts as a mouthpiece for other teams the way he accuses others of acting for the Hawks. Something's always been up with him and the team well before this story.

You're closer than I am: what's the root of Bernstein's antipathy for the Blackhawks? He talks a big game about wanting the media to hold them accountable, which is fine in and of itself, but he happily acts as a mouthpiece for other teams the way he accuses others of acting for the Hawks. Something's always been up with him and the team well before this story.

I don't think this was meant for me, and I don't listen to the show. But I know the entirety of Chicago Sports Radio was pissed about the Hawks being relevant. They never had to watch or pretend to know hockey. Suddenly the Hawks are huge and they're expected to talk about them. Thus, leading to media tantrums and Bernstein's "all hockey fans are Aryan Nation fratboys from Naperville" shtick.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

They don't have to. This has not hurt their bottom line one penny. Despite the disastrous PR, people are still begging to hand money to them and will continue to do so until the team is really bad.

UPDATE: Erie County Central Police Services says they have the rape kit, sealed, in its original packaging. What. In. The. Hell.

At this point they're probably going to need to do more and "say" they have the rape kit.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If the kit went "missing" and the BPD is scratching their heads saying "Gosh, we deleted the darn results!" it'll reach peak absurdity, but I don't think we're there yet.

Erie County Central Police Services says they have the rape kit, sealed, in its original packaging. What. In. The. Hell.

Scratch that. Peak absurdity attained. Send in the clowns.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I think Kane's driver worked for the Buffalo police, and this would have been handled by Erie County and the town of Hamburg. I'm sure he could have friends who would have done something, but I'm not sure he could have messed with anything himself.

If the rape kit is sitting sealed in an evidence locker... how did it get tested?

The closest to a plausible explanation I can fathom: Original bag was opened and discarded in Hamburg; the kit got re-sealed in a new bag b/c of shoddy evidence handling, got shipped off to County then, screw it, I dunno, aliens?

If the rape kit is sitting sealed in an evidence locker... how did it get tested?

I'm sure there's extensive records of who opened and closed the kit and when. The testing was done weeks ago. The PD is saying that the results were found from the kit and reported to all parties and authorities. The kit has been in custody the entire time and there have been no breaches. And they're saying it's in the original envelope which means, if true, that this lawyer fabricated the envelope or someone played a prank on the accuser.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I used to think Buffalo was a major American metropolis. I mean, they've got a sports team and it isn't the Packers. Turns out it's actually a small town in northern Ontario where nothing has ever happened other than producing a first-overall NHL draft pick one time. Jesus Christ, these people.

I used to think Buffalo was a major American metropolis the world's largest living room.

And you would be right, sir.

The press conference was replayed on the radio while I was driving home... the attorney seems really sure the bag is authentic. I dunno. He represented a real sleazeball in his last high-profile case with some questionable tactics, so I wouldn't put a hoax beneath him as a way to permanently cast doubt on however the case plays out from here. Even still, this is a bit much. Everyone they interview on the news-- former DA, defense attorneys, retired cop-- all say the same thing: "If this is true, this is crazy."

Edit: Pat Kane's not the only thing that ever happened here! Air conditioning was invented in Buffalo, dontchaknow?

I used to think Buffalo was a major American metropolis the world's largest living room.

And you would be right, sir.

The press conference was replayed on the radio while I was driving home... the attorney seems really sure the bag is authentic. I dunno. He represented a real sleazeball in his last high-profile case with some questionable tactics, so I wouldn't put a hoax beneath him as a way to permanently cast doubt on however the case plays out from here. Even still, this is a bit much. Everyone they interview on the news-- former DA, defense attorneys, retired cop-- all say the same thing: "If this is true, this is crazy."

This all seems like a really sloppy way to go. The Braun case is the only thing I can think of that's comparable in this case, but I'm no expert on the matter.

All I'm aware of is that this has become a true circus if it wasn't already one before.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I don't think even the skeeziest of attorneys would risk destroying a 30-year career on a press conference touting faked evidence that could easily be disproven by police. Then again, since we're now entrenched in Julius Fucik territory with this, what the hell do I know?

I don't think even the skeeziest of attorneys would risk destroying a 30-year career on a press conference touting faked evidence that could easily be disproven by police. Then again, since we're now entrenched in Julius Fucik territory with this, what the hell do I know?

The main thing that I took away from the press conference was that the bag had lots of info on it, down to the initials of the nurse, that should make it hard to fabricate. The attorney claims the bag was authenticated with the hospital that did the examination. Only so many people have access to even blank bags and the info and to fill it out in just the right way? And what cop is going to throw away his sweet pension to help out Pat Kane? I just don't get it. I didn't get it before today, but now I get even less.