NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

I was watching Canucks-Flames, and coming out of the break, they had their sideline reporter talking up Brandon Prust (over "highlights" of a fight with Freaking Bollig), and talking about how he's "mentoring" younger hockey players to be, I dunno, really terrible at the sport, and also how he has a kinship with some facepuncher from the Federal League, aka American Hockey's Open Sewer. Then it was up to the booth, where the announcers intimated that since Kassian's sidelined with substance abuse problems, that means the Canucks won the trade. And that was enough hockey for tonight, thank you.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Team Burn-The-Witch has finally crossed the threshold from righteous anger to stupid internet outrage:

http://otherhalfsports.com/2015/10/on-walking-away/

What if you are a female member of the Ice Crew, being expected to pose for photos with fans in bars and stadium hallways? Are you confident that if one of the drunk men putting his arm around your shoulders feels entitled to more, that your employer will stand up for your rights? Or are you now concerned that your safety and bodily autonomy are merely ‘distractions’ from the meaningful business of hockey?

this is a reach

What if you’re an employee at the United Center, working in deserted hallways after a game? How do you feel now, knowing that the men walking the hallways can expect no meaningful repercussions to come from an accusation of assault or misconduct? What if you need that job, regardless of whether or not you feel unsafe performing it?

this is a reach

Finally, what are you thinking if you’re one of the people who believes in the innocence of Patrick Kane? Are you conscious of the fact that you cheer alongside people who believe he is guilty, but don’t care? How about the fact that some of these people believe he is guilty, and view his continued presence as validation that their own poor treatment of women is both justified and normal? You may rationalize your continued support of Kane under the banner of “innocent until proven guilty,” but you stand in solidarity with those whose figurative banners say far different things. Terrible things like, “She probably deserved it,” or, “He only did what any man would do.” You may not agree with these people, but your tickets beep the same way at the door.

If I had to not like or think things because of what people who are stupider or more evil than I am like or think, I'd never make it out of bed in the morning.

I thought Kane was guilty. I really did. Like most people who have a heart, I figured that between the statistically nonexistent incidence of false accusation and the extent to which she sought medical and legal attention, there was no way the accuser could have been lying, that Kane was going to prison and it was only a matter of time, and that I wasn't sure how I'd continue to be a fan. With the way things have gone since then, it looks more as if while Kane may be a sleazy drunk who couldn't make a good life decision if he tried, it's simply not very likely that he raped this girl. I still feel apprehensive about things, but I'm not packing things in boxes and disavowing the Blackhawks forever. But while I've had to adjust my position, it seems like that crowd has doubled down on theirs instead. I bet somewhere out there are people who are hoping a girl did get raped so that Patrick Kane can be charged, convicted, and sentenced as they're proven right in the end. Do I want to stand with those people and their figurative banners? The whole thing feels desperate and embarrassing.

I think at this point we can reasonably surmise that while the Blackhawks organization is not powerful enough to alter the course of justice, pace the efforts of the accuser's mom to make us think otherwise, they are powerful enough to get an idea of what's going on before the gen-pop twitter hordes do, and that they acted with an idea of the way things would go. For instance, had there not been potentially exonerating evidence, perhaps the team would have suspended Kane after all. I think it's too much of a leap to say "well, they just guessed right" and continue railing against the team. They didn't guess right. I guessed wrong.

All that being said, the rest of the hockey world does need to step up and make it known that the young men who excel at the game aren't invincible because they can play hockey. I don't think that requires the Blackhawks to punish someone who may not have committed a crime; the message will have to be sent without a head on a pike for now, but it does have to be sent. I just know this crowd loves heads on pikes.

If people have dug themselves so far in on this that they can't support hockey anymore, then I guess they have no choice but to go. I hope for them that their second sport, talking crap about disaffected white dorks on reddit, will be just as exciting as the NHL was.

• Like 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Team Burn-The-Witch has finally crossed the threshold from righteous anger to stupid internet outrage:

http://otherhalfsports.com/2015/10/on-walking-away/

What if you are a female member of the Ice Crew, being expected to pose for photos with fans in bars and stadium hallways? Are you confident that if one of the drunk men putting his arm around your shoulders feels entitled to more, that your employer will stand up for your rights? Or are you now concerned that your safety and bodily autonomy are merely ‘distractions’ from the meaningful business of hockey?

this is a reach

What if you’re an employee at the United Center, working in deserted hallways after a game? How do you feel now, knowing that the men walking the hallways can expect no meaningful repercussions to come from an accusation of assault or misconduct? What if you need that job, regardless of whether or not you feel unsafe performing it?

this is a reach

Finally, what are you thinking if you’re one of the people who believes in the innocence of Patrick Kane? Are you conscious of the fact that you cheer alongside people who believe he is guilty, but don’t care? How about the fact that some of these people believe he is guilty, and view his continued presence as validation that their own poor treatment of women is both justified and normal? You may rationalize your continued support of Kane under the banner of “innocent until proven guilty,” but you stand in solidarity with those whose figurative banners say far different things. Terrible things like, “She probably deserved it,” or, “He only did what any man would do.” You may not agree with these people, but your tickets beep the same way at the door.

If I had to not like or think things because of what people who are stupider or more evil than I am like or think, I'd never make it out of bed in the morning.

I thought Kane was guilty. I really did. Like most people who have a heart, I figured that between the statistically nonexistent incidence of false accusation and the extent to which she sought medical and legal attention, there was no way the accuser could have been lying, that Kane was going to prison and it was only a matter of time, and that I wasn't sure how I'd continue to be a fan. With the way things have gone since then, it looks more as if while Kane may be a sleazy drunk who couldn't make a good life decision if he tried, it's simply not very likely that he raped this girl. I still feel apprehensive about things, but I'm not packing things in boxes and disavowing the Blackhawks forever. But while I've had to adjust my position, it seems like that crowd has doubled down on theirs instead. I bet somewhere out there are people who are hoping a girl did get raped so that Patrick Kane can be charged, convicted, and sentenced as they're proven right in the end. Do I want to stand with those people and their figurative banners? The whole thing feels desperate and embarrassing.

I think at this point we can reasonably surmise that while the Blackhawks organization is not powerful enough to alter the course of justice, pace the efforts of the accuser's mom to make us think otherwise, they are powerful enough to get an idea of what's going on before the gen-pop twitter hordes do, and that they acted with an idea of the way things would go. For instance, had there not been potentially exonerating evidence, perhaps the team would have suspended Kane after all. I think it's too much of a leap to say "well, they just guessed right" and continue railing against the team. They didn't guess right. I guessed wrong.

All that being said, the rest of the hockey world does need to step up and make it known that the young men who excel at the game aren't invincible because they can play hockey. I don't think that requires the Blackhawks to punish someone who may not have committed a crime; the message will have to be sent without a head on a pike for now, but it does have to be sent. I just know this crowd loves heads on pikes.

If people have dug themselves so far in on this that they can't support hockey anymore, then I guess they have no choice but to go. I hope for them that their second sport, talking crap about disaffected white dorks on reddit, will be just as exciting as the NHL was.

Great post.

This Kane incident has been really jarring for me personally and changed my reaction toward twitter. I adore twitter for it's immediacy and constant influx of information, but this is the first time that's hit me where this social media world of immediate information inspiring uninformed reactions made me feel like an idiot. I, like many others, know women in our lives who have been impacted by rape or sexual assault, so I immediately sympathize to the victim. I'm ashamed of the Blackhawks for harboring Kane and letting him speak to the media; I'm ashamed of them involving Kane in any and all publicity or even skating with the damn team. I still feel like they handled it poorly.

I'm ashamed of so many stupid Blackhawks fans out there who felt like spreading her name at any and all opportunity once it had leaked, demonizing her into a money grubbing slutbag whore who should NEVER have dared impugn the good name of That Guy That Plays The Sport They Like Well. All this ugliness and horror directed at a total stranger.

Yet on the other side of the coin Kane does deserve some measure of sympathy. He's been effectively disgraced, and media blowhards have done a fine job irresponsibly fanning the flames of smearing him into this sneering rapist monster, when that's obviously unfair. None of us have patience to make an educated judgment on a person anymore, especially if they are a celebrity or well-paid famous athlete. It's easier to process the issue if it is simply black or white, red or blue, left or right. He could still be a rapist, but we won't likely ever find out. Same for if he is totally innocent. The damage is effectively done in the war of public opinion.

If fans planted their flag on a side with such emotional aplomb that it merits an emotional withdrawal from a sport, there's something in it that feels counterfeit. Making such a public stance to sell your interpretation of events doesn't feel genuine. It just feels loud.

• Like 2
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I don't know what that stuff is, and if it's related to sexual abuse, I probably won't be able to formulate an opinion immediately, having learned my lesson from the Kane thing.

I don't know what that stuff is, and if it's related to sexual abuse, I probably won't be able to formulate an opinion immediately, having learned my lesson from the Kane thing.

I thought you were on top of this!

Deadspin has been on the Kevin Johnson-is-a- :censored:head beat for some time now, starting initially with the Kings sale, then his general politics, and now digging up allegations of sexual abuse against him while he was a player for the Suns.

I can't watch the video, but police interview of an alleged victim was posted today (with her permission): http://deadspin.com/police-video-shows-teen-girl-graphically-accusing-kevin-1735279363

EDIT: I don't like to comment on rape allegations in process. My inclination is to believe the woman in all cases, but the Duke lacrosse story was tragic for everyone involved and a good reminder to not jump to conclusions. However, every time a woman comes forward with allegations of rape (especially against someone famous and/or beloved), there's rampant evidence that way too many people (generally men on the Internet) are terrible and think and say terrible things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

What's alarming is that it doesn't seem to be a one-off. He's also made sure to give himself access to more kids.

So anyway

CARY, N.C. (WNCN) – Former Carolina Hurricane defenseman Aaron Ward was arrested Friday in Cary and charged with assault on a female, authorities said.

Ward was also charged with interfering with emergency communication.

Ward was traded to the Canes in 2009 from Boston.

He was later waived by Carolina before being traded to Anaheim in March 2010.

Ward now is an analyst on TSN Hockey.

#NotMyTSN

Screenshot_2015-10-09-21-36-12-1_zpsr1ny

I mean, I'm not surprised Patrick Kane didn't hear someone shouting "no" at him repeatedly.

• Like 4

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It's only a matter of time until someone plays Rape Me by Nirvana when the Blackhawks are on the road; my money's on Dallas.

Cool, is it going to be about Kane or is it going to be about their crappy goaltender giving up 5?

Anyone close enough to me knows how much I loved Mike Richards. I believed that when I had acquired him, I had found my own Derek Jeter.

The only post-coital gift baskets Richards doles out are filled with antibiotics.

Anyone close enough to me knows how much I loved Mike Richards. I believed that when I had acquired him, I had found my own Derek Jeter.

The only post-coital gift baskets Richards doles out are filled with antibiotics.
Or are rapidly confiscated at the Emerson border crossing.

Seriously, dude, ask anyone who cross border shops, you go to a busy crossing because those agents are overworked and don't give a :censored: about anything. It's the smaller crossings where you're gonna get sear he'd for attempting a lame joke about pretty much anything.

I may or may not be speaking from experience here.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Coyotes continue to shamelessly pander to Canadian snowbirds. In addition to the Tim Horton's, there is now a poutine stand at Gila River Arena.

http://www.abc15.com/news/region-west-valley/glendale/smokes-poutinerie-brings-canadian-delicacy-to-arizona-coyotes-fans

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |