NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

4 hours ago, Sodboy13 said:

Hey, here's a little something retro! The Coyotes have announced their arena management deal is being transferred from Comcast Spectacor to AEG, because apparently getting owned by the Kings 5 or 6 times a year just wasn't enough.

Spectacor is the company that Ed Snider (Flyers owner) started (the name is similar to his other projects like "Spectrum", "Prism", and one other than I'm forgetting) and then merged with Comcast to form Comcast Spectacor, which technically owns the team (as opposed to Comcast proper, but that's essentially who's bankroling them now.

So basically they, and probably several other teams, directly pay (or paid) the Flyers.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Also, all those companies who get their concessions through Delaware North are paying the Bruins. One of those teams is the Buffalo Sabres. Oh, look who that puts in the "no" column for Hamilton, just the most powerful owner in the league.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Brett Yormark wants you to know that, actually, the layout at Barclays is just fine and doesn't need to change, because you can just watch the game on the scoreboard or your phone after laying out $85 for a ticket.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2016/2/3/9885146/islanders-brett-yormark-no-changes-barclays-center-seats-all-star-game

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

Brett Yormark wants you to know that, actually, the layout at Barclays is just fine and doesn't need to change, because you can just watch the game on the scoreboard or your phone after laying out $85 for a ticket.

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2016/2/3/9885146/islanders-brett-yormark-no-changes-barclays-center-seats-all-star-game

HA HA

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

1 hour ago, Sodboy13 said:

Whenever you think Yormark couldn't say anything more dumb he finds a way to stick his foot in his mouth again.  Hey Brett how does it feel to be public enemy number 1 for damn near the entire Islanders fan base?  However, the best part of the Barclay's experience is the free case of hypothermia you'll get while watching the game.  They supposedly have to keep the interior temperature lower than in any of the twenty other NHL buildings I've seen a game in because they have major issues with the ice.

If Brett took a flying leap off the Brooklyn Bridge I don't think anyone would be too upset.

Everything's coming up Panthers on TSN.ca

Screen Shot 2016-02-06 at 4.41.06 PM.png

• Like 4
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bringing this thread back to life after a month long coma...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-expansion-for-2017-18-to-be-determined-by-june-170624384.html?soc_src=copy

Knowing the NHL, they will expand to only Vegas and have an odd number of teams. Quebec will left out in the cold because of the "Canadian Dollar issue".

Having an odd number of teams isn't really a big deal though, is it? There are only one or two days a season where all 30 teams are playing. They had 21 teams during the 1980s and the NBA had an odd number until fairly recently when the Bobcats joined.

11 hours ago, cmm said:

Having an odd number of teams isn't really a big deal though, is it? There are only one or two days a season where all 30 teams are playing. They had 21 teams during the 1980s and the NBA had an odd number until fairly recently when the Bobcats joined.

It becomes a playoff issue. Especially when the playoffs are formated by division. Then the number of games has to be reworked to get all 82 games against every opponent at home and on the road, not to mention, one division will have an extra team meaning a playoff spot is even harder to get... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

40 minutes ago, chcarlson23 said:

It becomes a playoff issue.

It won't.

Especially when the playoffs are formated by division.

Like they were in the 1980s.  With 21 teams.

Then the number of games has to be reworked to get all 82 games against every opponent at home and on the road,

Difficult, yes, but not impossible to format.

not to mention, one division will have an extra team meaning a playoff spot is even harder to get... 

Actually, one division will have one team fewer compared to the other 3, but it doesn't matter because nobody in the Lester Patrick division complained in the 1980s (which everyone forgets).

Don't get me wrong, only expanding to Vegas is stupid, just not for these reasons.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

3 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

This is assuming they even keep the 82 game format with a new team. It's not like this was always a fixed amount.

Did the number of games expand when the Wild and Blue Jackets came into the league? Or when some of the earlier expansion teams came in? Like ATL/WPG or NSH? Because then it might go up with the supposed addition of Las Vegas or Quebec... 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

I'm in favor of 84 games and 4 preseason games, which would be fewer than what they play now. The only point to preseason as far as the Blackhawks are concerned is getting the Red Wings in the building an extra time. They've been playing like it's the preseason for the last two months.

21 teams actually worked at the time because the NHL was on a balanced schedule where you went to every barn twice. It didn't work in the sense that semi-decent Patrick Division teams would miss the playoffs while runny-crap Norris Division teams would make it in (and in 1991, go all the way to the Final!).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

It becomes a playoff issue. Especially when the playoffs are formated by division. Then the number of games has to be reworked to get all 82 games against every opponent at home and on the road, not to mention, one division will have an extra team meaning a playoff spot is even harder to get... 

The scheduling matrix is already wonky with the current format. In the east, you play some of your division rivals 4 times, others 5 times. In the west, you have the same thing plus this special note:

(Exception: One team from each division plays one more game inside division and one fewer game inside conference outside division. For the 2014-15 season, the team from the Central Division is Colorado; the team from the Pacific Division is San Jose.) They'll figure something out. Hell, I'm sure I'd be able to come up with something if I was motivated and I struggled putting the lid on my soda at lunch today.

As for the divisional imbalance affecting the playoffs, you already have two 8-team divisions and two 7-teams divisions. Going three 8's and one 7 isn't much different in terms of fairness. YOU WESTERN CONFERENCE TEAMS AND YOUR SEVEN-TEAM DIVISIONS HAVE IT SO EASY.

31-team scheduling formula (assuming they want to keep the same general idea):

East is easy:

4 games (2 home, 2 away) vs. 7 division rivals = 28 games (14 home, 14 away)

3 games (2 home, 1 away) vs 4 teams from other division = 12 games (8 home, 4 away)

3 games (1 home, 2 away) vs 4 teams from other division = 12 games (4 home, 8 away)

2 games (1 home, 1 away) vs 15 West teams = 30 games (15 home, 15 away)

total 82 games (41 home, 41 away)

West is a little trickier but not too bad.

Pacific Divison (8 teams)

ANA, ARI, CGY, EDM

4 games (2 home, 2 away) vs 6 division rivals = 24 games (12 home, 12 away)

5 games (2 home, 3 away) vs 1 division rival from "other half" of division = 5 games (2 home, 3 away)

3 games (2 home, 1 away) vs 4 Central teams = 12 games (8 home, 4 away)

3 games (1 home, 2 away) vs 3 Central teams = 9 games (3 home, 6 away)

2 games (1 home, 1 away) vs 16 East teams = 32 games (16 home, 16 away)

LA, SJ, VAN, LV

4 games (2 home, 2 away) vs 6 division rivals = 24 games (12 home, 12 away)

5 games (3 home, 2 away) vs 1 division rival from "other half" of division = 5 games (3 home, 2 away)

3 games (1 home, 2 away) vs 4 Central teams = 12 games (4 home, 8 away)

3 games (2 home, 1 away) vs 3 Central teams = 9 games (6 home, 3 away)

Central Division (7 teams)

4 games (2 home, 2 away) vs 4 division rivals = 16 games (8 home, 8 away)

5 games (3 home, 2 away) vs 1 division rival = 5 games (3 home, 2 away)

5 games (2 home, 3 away) vs 1 division rival = 5 games (2 home, 3 away)

3 games (2 home, 1 away) vs 4 Pacific teams = 12 games (8 home, 4 away)

3 games (1 home, 2 away) vs 4 Pacific teams = 12 games (4 home, 8 away)

In pretty matrix form (home games are across, road games are down so, for example, the Islanders have 1 home game against the Bruins and go to Boston twice):

91fCwnz.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Colin Campbell.

That is all.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.