NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

WTF is happening to my country?

• Like 2

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

I just got here. Why is everything on fire?

As someone who actually fits all the criteria Canada is looking for, to immigrate there, I do find myself occasionally tempted.

• Like 1

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

Is this ? fake news ? ?

EDIT: lol it's not ? fake news ?. It's very much real. Now I'm the idiot because I didn't even know there was such a thing as "Secretary of the Army." In my defense, it sounds made-up! It sounds like "Director of the Government."

I had to Google this myself to make sure it was real. Hot damn.  It's a joke, but it's not a hoax.

• Like 1

They called off the game. The best part is that it was against the Red Wings, the team Karmanos so desperately wants the Hurricanes to be. The Red Wings can freeze a sheet of ice, though!

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

From the '81 SCF until the '94 SCF, local networks were allowed to broadcast the games. However, Mr. Comissioner Gary Bettman benefited the national television exclusivity of the Stanley Cup starting a year later in '95. Seriously, this isn't fair and it undermines regional sports networks that still can do pre-game and post-game coverages of the Stanley Cup playoff games but aren't allowed to broadcast live playoff games from second round onwards. It is unfair to see that regional sports networks aren't allowed to broadcast playoff games from second round onwards on local television because the teams' TV announcers calls the games on radio, and honestly, I don't know which year the national exclusivity will end.

But I hope that this American coverage policy that benefits national exclusivity to the Stanley Cup will end it sooner or later!.

What do you think?.

54 minutes ago, AstroBull21 said:

Every national sport has a national broadcast of their championships (MLB, NBA and NFL) 

It's just the way things are right now.

Exactly. But we don't know who's going to take over NHL rights when NBC contract expires after the 2021 SCF. I don't know if it would be ESPN/ABC or FOX/FS1 or CBS, but probably NBC wouldn't be ruled out to gain a new multi-year contract in the U.S.

1 hour ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

Exactly. But we don't know who's going to take over NHL rights when NBC contract expires after the 2021 SCF. I don't know if it would be ESPN/ABC or FOX/FS1 or CBS, but probably NBC wouldn't be ruled out to gain a new multi-year contract in the U.S.

That's 5 years from now, no need to worry now.

2 hours ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

From the '81 SCF until the '94 SCF, local networks were allowed to broadcast the games. However, Mr. Comissioner Gary Bettman benefited the national television exclusivity of the Stanley Cup starting a year later in '95. Seriously, this isn't fair and it undermines regional sports networks that still can do pre-game and post-game coverages of the Stanley Cup playoff games but aren't allowed to broadcast live playoff games from second round onwards. It is unfair to see that regional sports networks aren't allowed to broadcast playoff games from second round onwards on local television because the teams' TV announcers calls the games on radio, and honestly, I don't know which year the national exclusivity will end.

But I hope that this American coverage policy that benefits national exclusivity to the Stanley Cup will end it sooner or later!.

What do you think?.

I think it's a great idea. But I also think it's not worth discussing because it's never going to happen. The finals will be national TV deal like all the major sports. It's just the reality of the situation.

Many and many people around U.S. and Canada are sick and tired of the National Hockey League's Blackout Policy.

This is the biggest problem where fans from all 30 NHL teams (31 NHL teams starting in 2017-18) can't watch their teams' games outside of their team markets. Many fans turn to NHL.tv or NHL Center/Centre Ice to watch the out-of-market broadcasts of their favorite NHL teams. We should get really rid of the NHL blackout policy?. We should make a pressure the NHL to end this horrific and meaningless blackout policy?. The answer for both the questions is: YES!.

And you?. What do you think?.

1 hour ago, jmac11281 said:

Yes, but does Quebec City 'Grow the Game™' like the booming metropolis of Raleigh does?

I just saw that the NHL TV deal is $200 million/year (through 2021) and the MLS deal is $90 million/year (through 2022). I think a fun game which league has the better deal in the next contract. (Paging @dfwabel to add in context I'm likely missing).

MLS has seen its best success when it stopped jerking around and focused its product on its core audience. (That more people people are part of that core audience than before is just gravy.) MLS expansion has also been pretty thoughtful and not outwardly antagonistic toward key markets, which is a nice thing. And MLS franchises can announce team names without tripping over their dicks.

"Grow the Game" means something, but it could mean more if the league exercised more care in, well, basically anything. As a one-time fan who could potentially be interested in the product again, I don't see what the NHL has to offer me. Just confusing rules, confusing conferences, confusing playoffs, and the noise around ruining the Olympics. I don't get it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

ESPN is losing thousands of subscribers each month (FS1 at a lesser rate), but more importantly, ESPN is spending around $6 billion/year in rights fees and there really isn't room left for the NHL. Recently, ESPN has given up the Open Championship, NASCAR, and the NHRA in exchange for extending contracts with the NBA, ACC, SEC, and Big Ten through 2025. 

Plus, I'm not sure if there really is a grassroots effort to ensure that the Florida Panthers broadcast team is able to call the ECF. 

37 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I just saw that the NHL TV deal is $200 million/year (through 2021) and the MLS deal is $90 million/year (through 2022). I think a fun game which league has the better deal in the next contract. (Paging @dfwabel to add in context I'm likely missing).

MLS has seen its best success when it stopped jerking around and focused its product on its core audience. (That more people people are part of that core audience than before is just gravy.) MLS expansion has also been pretty thoughtful and not outwardly antagonistic toward key markets, which is a nice thing. And MLS franchises can announce team names without tripping over their dicks.

"Grow the Game" means something, but it could mean more if the league exercised more care in, well, basically anything. As a one-time fan who could potentially be interested in the product again, I don't see what the NHL has to offer me. Just confusing rules, confusing conferences, confusing playoffs, and the noise around ruining the Olympics. I don't get it.

What is considered "better"? More national TV money per franchise, or more overall TV/digital money? While NHL teams will still gain more money through local rights, digital is going to be of growing importance.

Keep in mind that MLS also made the choice on their own to end their contract in 2022, near the same time which the following will expire: NFL (2022), MLB (2021), US rights to the Premier League (2022), and NHL (2021).