NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Bettman was in Calgary about two weeks ago to pull his "nice team you got here, shame if something happened to it" routine. The mayor has been pretty solid so far in telling the Flames and Stamps to go screw and build something with their own money. I say pack a bag for Ken and give him a Google Maps printout with directions to Atlanta.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Has there been a point in semi-recent history where the NHL operated as a professional, not-embarrassing sport league?

I remember the 90s, with NHL 94 on Sega and the Rangers-through-1998-Olympics run being good. The 2005 lockout was dumb, but the Sabres being great immediately after (or was it before?) was charming.

The sport lost me for good with the division and wild card changes because there's a certain point when I don't want to do so much work to follow a sport I'm not that interested in anymore.

But beyond that, every time I read anything about the NHL it's about some other new and exciting screw up. Some of that is confirmation bias, but is there much positivity with the sport anymore?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Well, the league won't shut down for three weeks next year so that guys born in Minnesota and Michigan can eke out a 1-0 win over Latvia at 3 in the morning. That's their first good business decision in years. But other than that, no, it's always been half a step above carnies.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

Well, the league won't shut down for three weeks next year so that guys born in Minnesota and Michigan can eke out a 1-0 win over Latvia at 3 in the morning. That's their first good business decision in years. But other than that, no, it's always been half a step above carnies.

I want to thank you for posting this, because I see no reason the NHL should go to the Olympics, especially these next two, and I found myself alone in that sentiment and completely unswayed by anyone's argument in favor. I was concerned I had fallen into some personal alternative fact-o-sphere.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yeah, everyone is acting like this is some dark day for hockey from which the sport will never recover. The league survived not sending players before and has survived much dumber decisions than this one. Like most "time-honored" hockey traditions, it doesn't even go that far back, really, just 1998. And no one much remembers Nagano or Turin, just Salt Lake City and Vancouver because they came down to the United States against Canada and Canada won. The most memorable Olympic hockey was when the Russians sent professionals and the Americans sent amateurs, so hey.

The whole deal has started to feel like nothing but a big exercise in validation for Canada, really. Ad agencies and television channels have done a great job pumping up Canada's relationship with hockey as something even beyond America and baseball, as if it's the one single thing they have that can't arguably belong just as much to the Americans or the British or the French. So they send the best players in the world out under the best coach under rules that all but flatline risk: Canada strikes first and that's game because everything gets pinned to the neutral-zone boards for 45 minutes or whatever. It's dull. Let's just be honest here: Canada could field two whole teams and they'd probably play each other for the gold. I mean, they half-did that for the Bettman Cup and it nearly happened. No one's getting anything out of a tournament like this one because no Mythical Casual Fan in the U.S. is going to be made a fan by these trapapalooza games (and not just Babs, consider all the lower nations that drag the game into the muck), South Korea doesn't exactly have a budding hockey program, and players are probably gonna get hurt in this and screw over their main gig. It's a colossal waste of time. If Canadians want to play for their country, the Maple Leafs are hiring.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, the admiral said:

And no one much remembers Nagano or Turin, just Salt Lake City and Vancouver because they came down to the United States against Canada and Canada won.

Nagano was the Dominik Hasek show, Gretzky kept on the bench in the shootout, and the Czechs beating Mother Russia.  Turin was Sweden's triumphant victory over Nike Swift.  Maybe you just don't like Olympic hockey?  It doesn't necessarily make it bad.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Cosmic said:

Nagano was the Dominik Hasek show, Gretzky kept on the bench in the shootout, and the Czechs beating Mother Russia.  Turin was Sweden's triumphant victory over Nike Swift.  Maybe you just don't like Olympic hockey?  It doesn't necessarily make it bad.

The only thing I remember about the Nagano Games was the US team trashing their rooms after a poor showing in the Olympics.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HedleyLamarr said:

The only thing I remember about the Nagano Games was the US team trashing their rooms after a poor showing in the Olympics.

They ran into this guy, just like the Canadians did 

hasek2.jpg

1 hour ago, Cosmic said:

I became an NHL fan because of the Nagano Olympics. I saw how awesome Hasek was, and then watched a billion Sabres games on Empire Sports Network.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

7 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

*shrugs* 

I like Olympic hockey and I like it when the NHL participates. 

Well, it's your only opportunity to watch a Canadian team win a championship, so that's understandable.

Just now, Sodboy13 said:

Well, it's your only opportunity to watch a Canadian team win a championship, so that's understandable.

I had a few responses to that, but I'm gonna settle on this one.

Get :censored: ed

:upside:

• Like 1

Smooches, as always.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

Seriously, if one or two of the Flames, Oilers, and Senators had won their Finals, this neurosis would not have gotten as bad as it's gotten. I mean, people would still get excited for Olympic hockey as a special treat, it just wouldn't have this undue weight. Oh well. Explosions and football, chain coffee and hockey.

I also like NHL players in the Olympics. Am I a bad hockey fan? 

Without NHL players it's the Spengler Cup. It is pretty much the only time non-hockey fans watch hockey. It makes sense then to showcase the world's best players. I get "well we never sent them until 98 and it wasn't a big deal then" and maybe it's because I'm not old enough to remember Lillihammer all that well, but back then nobody had seen best on best in the Olympics before and everyone was used to the NHL players not going, but now that we've seen it 5 times how do you put that toothpaste back in the tube? It's a different environment now than it was in Lillihammer or St Albert or Calgary etc. The other thing that sucks is Team USA was about to have the best roster we've had since they let NHLers play in the games.

I don't want to see the AHL's best play the Swedish elite league's best play the KHL's best so I think they should make it a U20 tournament and we'll replay the World Juniors which were very exciting this year. Also if we're not sending NHLers to the Olympics then we have to have the World Cup more often than once every 12 years and we can't have a North America U23 team that poached a lot of USA's best players. 

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

Whoa, don't knock the Spengler Cup, I did that once and a guy here got really mad at me.

But the hockey is so bad! Who can watch that much zone defense and that little physicality? Any old Soviet innovations in puck-possession hockey have been wiped out by conservative North American coaching.

17 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

*shrugs* 

I like Olympic hockey and I like it when the NHL participates. 

22 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

I also like NHL players in the Olympics. Am I a bad hockey fan? 

Without NHL players it's the Spengler Cup. It is pretty much the only time non-hockey fans watch hockey. It makes sense then to showcase the world's best players. I get "well we never sent them until 98 and it wasn't a big deal then" and maybe it's because I'm not old enough to remember Lillihammer all that well, but back then nobody had seen best on best in the Olympics before and everyone was used to the NHL players not going, but now that we've seen it 5 times how do you put that toothpaste back in the tube? It's a different environment now than it was in Lillihammer or St Albert or Calgary etc. The other thing that sucks is Team USA was about to have the best roster we've had since they let NHLers play in the games.

I don't want to see the AHL's best play the Swedish elite league's best play the KHL's best so I think they should make it a U20 tournament and we'll replay the World Juniors which were very exciting this year. Also if we're not sending NHLers to the Olympics then we have to have the World Cup more often than once every 12 years and we can't have a North America U23 team that poached a lot of USA's best players. 

Your opinions are definitely not unpopular. I wouldn't ever say either one of you are bad hockey fans. It just doesn't matter to me if NHL players play in the tournament or not. I am locked in either way.