NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

4 hours ago, charger77 said:

Why isn't the NHL brain trust doing everything in within its power to get every Edmonton vs Pittsburgh game as a national broadcast?

I don't think they have any control over which games are broadcast. As I understand it, NBC has unilateral decision-making power.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

15 hours ago, charger77 said:

Why isn't the NHL brain trust doing everything in within its power to get every Edmonton vs Pittsburgh game as a national broadcast?

You're presuming that the NHL wants Edmonton on national broadcasts any more than NBC does.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 hours ago, the admiral said:

You're presuming that the NHL wants Edmonton on national broadcasts any more than NBC does.

I'd assume that it would be mutually beneficial to the NHL and NBC to get McDavid as much American exposure as possible, especially against Crosby.

This is kind of Magic v. Bird moment for the NHL not seen since Gretzky/Lemeiux... #OITGDNHL?

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

3 hours ago, charger77 said:

I'd assume that it would be mutually beneficial to the NHL and NBC to get McDavid as much American exposure as possible, especially against Crosby.

This is kind of Magic v. Bird moment for the NHL not seen since Gretzky/Lemeiux... #OITGDNHL?

Nah, not really. The NHL has essentially given up on marketing players over teams. Remember that when they tried to push that really hard with Crosby and Ovechkin, everyone got really mad at them and said it wasn't working (it really wasn't) and that not only was it antithetical to the game of hockey, it wasn't done well because one or both of the guys was always hurt. At best, they're happy to supersaturate Canada with McDavid/Oilers coverage and give the American exposure to proven stateside draws (Blackhawks, Penguins, Sabres, Red Wings, Flyers, the Rangers but not really but don't tell them). At worst, they want to keep the Oilers in a state of benign neglect so that when everyone starts fretting over the US TV deal coming up for bids, perhaps some owners can nudge the Oilers into trading McDavid to, oh, let's say the L.A. Kings.

44 minutes ago, the admiral said:

everyone got really mad at them

Lamoriello?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Yeah probably but I was thinking more of NHL fans, who are never happy about anything. Bear in mind this was well before the rise of Twitter, #pleaselikemysport, and this perverse need to prostrate oneself before the NBA and talk about how much better the NBA is (it isn't). Everyone just sorta got annoyed by Crosby-Ovechkin hype back around 2008-2010. Now, if you suggest that maybe P.K. Subban cannot be marketed above everyone else, well, 

On 11/4/2017 at 12:45 AM, ElwoodCuse said:

A lot more goes into this than "Does a team have poor attendance" and "If yes, are they in a non-traditional market"

Like the collective ego of the NHL Board of Governors and Gary Bettman.

• Like 2

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

23 hours ago, DustDevil61 said:

Like the collective ego of the NHL Board of Governors and Gary Bettman.

Ego is absolutely not a factor. It begins and ends with money. Will someone give us money to stick around? We will until they stop. Is the well dry? We're out of here. Why do you think they are still in Glendale but abandoned Atlanta?

1zgyd8w.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Jeezus, Andrew, if you've got a hard-on for union-busting and stiffing your employees on their wages, buy a newspaper, not a hockey team.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Disrupting Labor Compensation

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

https://apnews.com/58402a46bd564f45bbaca4f160654660/Rockets-owner-Fertitta-interested-in-NHL-team-in-Houston

New Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta is interested in bringing an NHL team to Houston, a possibility that didn’t exist under the NBA team’s previous regime.

Fertitta released a statement Thursday confirming interest in a hockey team in Houston. He recently met with league officials.

“I’m very interested in the possibility of bringing the NHL to Houston, but it will have to be a deal that makes sense for my organization, the city, fans of the NHL throughout the region, and the NHL Board of Governors,” Fertitta said. “We are in the very early stage of evaluating what opportunities may exist but there is nothing definitive at this point in time. We are simply asking questions and exploring our options.”

18 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

https://apnews.com/58402a46bd564f45bbaca4f160654660/Rockets-owner-Fertitta-interested-in-NHL-team-in-Houston

New Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta is interested in bringing an NHL team to Houston, a possibility that didn’t exist under the NBA team’s previous regime.

Fertitta released a statement Thursday confirming interest in a hockey team in Houston. He recently met with league officials.

“I’m very interested in the possibility of bringing the NHL to Houston, but it will have to be a deal that makes sense for my organization, the city, fans of the NHL throughout the region, and the NHL Board of Governors,” Fertitta said. “We are in the very early stage of evaluating what opportunities may exist but there is nothing definitive at this point in time. We are simply asking questions and exploring our options.

Q: How many Mayflower trucks do the Coyotes need?

Q: Can we take the Tim Hortons equipment or do we have to buy our own fryers?

Q: Is that Johnny Rockets owner going to chain himself to one of the vans?

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png