NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

5 hours ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I don't think playing at State College makes a lot of sense.  It's one of those compromise deals where everybody loses.  I look at State College as being Western PA (basically, everything that's not the Delaware or Lehigh Valley might as well be western PA) so it's not like there's a lot of Flyers fans there, other than maybe the students from the Phila area.  You're just making Flyers fans drive 4 hours west, and Penguins fans drive a few East, rather than having one of the fan bases stay put.  

I think a lot of people liked the novelty of a huge crowd at a huge stadium more or less equidistant between rival teams, having already done one in either city. Hawks-Wings at Notre Dame would have had the same appeal if we were still acknowledging that the Blackhawks and not the Senators are the Red Wings' rivals. It's not a perfect comparison because like we said, South Bend isn't that far from Chicago, but it's close enough for the sake of argument.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 11/20/2017 at 3:39 AM, Still MIGHTY said:

Penguins vs Flyers in a Pennsylvania football stadium....

We did this literally LAST SEASON. Don't even bother making new jerseys. 

This was announced at the same time as the Heinz Field game. This is just a confirmation of the date and time.

State College is a dump, it's good that they aren't playing the game there

And don't give me "oh we should move on" about Penn State, no one there learned anything. The 409 truthers are still as loud as ever.

• Like 2
1zgyd8w.jpg

On 11/20/2017 at 9:03 PM, Sodboy13 said:

Isn't the problem that Penn State isn't interested in hosting the event and/or wants to put a bunch of onerous conditions on it?

True as this was part of the university's statement in 2016:

"about playing an outdoor game at Penn State, but it’s believed financial demands by the university soured the teams on the neutral site [Beaver Stadium] as an option."

And unlike Ann Arbor being less than an hour from downtown Detroit, as stated previously, State College is much further away from a major city. But like most colleges between Christmas and New Years, the campus is 95% shut down. Regardless of a bowl game, campus facility staff isn't on the clock, yet for the union guys who will get holiday pay for sitting.

Michigan asked and received for $3M in rent for use of Michigan Stadium for 31 days (add another $1M from the lockout the season prior).

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/regents-approve-use-of-michigan-stadium-for-2013-nhl-winter-classic/

UM also was granted a one-day liquor license for non-suites at Michigan Stadium, which gave them $650K in additional revenue.

It probably doesn't help that Pegula is Penn State's hockey benefactor as opposed to Ed Snider, Ron Burkle, or that legislators won't grant them (or their concessionaire) a liquor license for Beaver Stadium

Edited by dfwabel

16 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

It probably doesn't help that Pegula is Penn State's hockey benefactor as opposed to Ed Snider, Ron Burkle, or that legislators won't grant them (or their concessionaire) a liquor license for Beaver Stadium

They can always have the Sabres play a home game at Penn State; it’s not any more ridiculous than them having a home game on Long Island.

On 11/20/2017 at 1:58 PM, CRichardson said:

And at a certain point you have to move past what those in the past did. The school president, AD and head coach who were all involved in covering for Sandusky are no longer in their positions. In fact, their current AD is Timothy Curley's successor's successor. Same for President Spanier. They're on their second school president following Spanier. Their current president was a former professor at Penn State but there's no indication whatsoever that there was any connection between him and Sandusky's crime. Their current athletic director had no connection to the university up until she took the position in 2014. There's no point in attacking innocent people when those responsible for covering for Sandusky have been named, shamed and, in the case of Spanier and Curley, charged and convicted.

can we get Beyond Thunderdome too.  

anycase, at this point, people need to move past of this (yes never forget it at the same time move along).  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

So I have a question for everyone to ponder.

With Annapolis and South Bend hosting outdoor games in the near future, what non NHL city locations would you like to see host an outdoor game?  Might as well add places that you'd like to see host PERIOD.

My thoughts:

- West Point:  Since Navy has one in 2018, hosting one at West Point could work well.  Could be the Islanders or Devils hosting, maybe even Philly.

- Tropicana Field:  Being a former home of the Lightning, a Stadium Series game in the old stomping grounds against the Flyers would bring back the nostalgia.  It's not the sexy venue, but it like playing in the old barn.

- Ohio Stadium:  With Columbus on the rise, a Winter Classic or Stadium Series at tOSU would be interesting.  Pair them up with the Red Wings and play up the Michigan/Ohio State rivalry and you should have success.

On 11/20/2017 at 3:39 AM, Still MIGHTY said:

Penguins vs Flyers in a Pennsylvania football stadium....

We did this literally LAST SEASON. Don't even bother making new jerseys. 

To be fair, the original concept for the Pens vs. Flyers game was that it would be a 'home and home' series.  It is just taking a year longer to host the second leg then was originally planned. 

On 11/22/2017 at 3:12 PM, the admiral said:

The West Point game would almost certainly involve the Golden Knights, Panthers, or both.

Shhhhh...don't give them any ideas.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

On 11/22/2017 at 12:54 PM, AstroBull21 said:

So I have a question for everyone to ponder.

With Annapolis and South Bend hosting outdoor games in the near future, what non NHL city locations would you like to see host an outdoor game?  Might as well add places that you'd like to see host PERIOD.

My thoughts:

- West Point:  Since Navy has one in 2018, hosting one at West Point could work well.  Could be the Islanders or Devils hosting, maybe even Philly.

- Tropicana Field:  Being a former home of the Lightning, a Stadium Series game in the old stomping grounds against the Flyers would bring back the nostalgia.  It's not the sexy venue, but it like playing in the old barn.

- Ohio Stadium:  With Columbus on the rise, a Winter Classic or Stadium Series at tOSU would be interesting.  Pair them up with the Red Wings and play up the Michigan/Ohio State rivalry and you should have success.

With signing the USNA, the NHL is to play games at the other service academies.

http://m.navysports.com/m/genrel/052917aaa.html

Not even most homeowners in New Tampa now remember that Flyers/Lightning series.

Did anyone think it might be the right climate for a video about someone exposing themselves in a workplace?

Considering the revelations coming out seemingly daily about sexual harassment in workplaces from newsrooms to film sets, maybe just maybe now isn’t the time to make a joke like this. It still doesn’t have comedic value in a vacuum, but it’s especially unfortunate in the current climate.

2017: a nation reported to HR

But anyway, they were clearly trying to rip off the This Is SportsCenter spots, but Ryan Kesler is somehow simultaneously detestable and uncharismatic, so there's nothing funny about it. And if they had set it in someplace identifiably hockey-adjacent, like not the dressing room (nudity's not incongruous there) but in the arena concourse or on the ice, maybe they could swing it, but what's happening here is the defacement of what we know now to be the holiest space in America: the generic white-collar office environment. If the Perds did the same premise and same punchline but with PK Subban, the internet would eat it up like the Cookie Monster.

The Seattle arena deal is a go, so there's team 32 and the 16th in the West. Enjoy your $500 million, 19,000-seat arena for the Remparts, Québec.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

6 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

The Seattle arena deal is a go, so there's team 32 and the 16th in the West. Enjoy your $500 million, 19,000-seat arena for the Remparts, Québec.

937841251726053377https://twitter.com/SeaTimesSports/status/937841251726053377

The NHL is expected in the coming months to announce a franchise to Seattle after the City Council approved a $600 million renovation of KeyArena

• Like 1

Maybe Seattle will fail to submit an expansion bid again. I would much rather see Seattle get the Hurricanes, not just for alignment but because their smug hockey-hipster fanbase would adapt to Seattle just fine.

They're not going to move the storied franchise of Hall Of Fame Hockey Builder Peter F :censored: ing Karmanos out to Seattle and kick Chicago east. It'll be Seattle buying in for something north of half a billion in non-HRR, and Arizona being delicately placed in the Central, where it will outlive us all.

• Like 3
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

7 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Maybe Seattle will fail to submit an expansion bid again. I would much rather see Seattle get the Hurricanes, not just for alignment but because their smug hockey-hipster fanbase would adapt to Seattle just fine.

I really am the only Canes fan on these boards, aren't I?

With that said, I wouldn't even be shocked if they move...and honestly it's probably for the best if they do.

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

52 minutes ago, ChicagoOakland said:

I really am the only Canes fan on these boards, aren't I?

Well, you see, when you look at the numbers, they actually lead the board in fan attempts

• Like 6

I dunno, unless I've misread the situation, the Coyotes are homeless after this season. (Who am I kidding, they'll work out an 11th hour one-year extension with Glendale, in April)

Unless Arizona finds a new permanent home, don't be surprised if we eventually get Seattle, Houston, and no Phoenix. Being a Roadrunners STH, and dating a Coyotes fan, I'm hoping the figure it out. Objectively, it's well beyond time to pull the plug. 

The Hurricanes are really the only hope Quebec has. I doubt Chicago will move to the east, just because that's their easy TV means to most of the West's national coverage.

Lets be honest, no one is relocating yntil after the NHL gets their $500 million for team 32. After that, Arizona and Carolina fans should be worried.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions)